ICS Anticipation/Discussion ThreadSupport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

There's no harm in backing up your phone data, but with all of the OTA updates I've had across all my devices (3 on a Desire HD, 1 on a Wildfire S, 3 on an ASUS Transformer) , I've not lost any data. I'm not sure if ICS will be different, but I'd hazard a guess and say it won't be.

jerofld and ArmageddonX like this.
  2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

Thank you.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

You should definitely backup your device. While I also doubt going from GB to ICS will cause the phone to wipe your settings, I do expect that a number of people will have problems with their device until they factory reset it.
  4. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

I've actually never backed up or done a reset prior to an OTA even when we got Froyo & GB on previous phones. I've also never been super upset if I had to setup my phone again.
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. jerofld

Heh...it's because you root. Rooters are used to having to factory reset their devices. Small wonder why TiBu is one of the most used apps on Android :p I could factory reset my phone right now and be back up to the way I had it in about 15 minutes, if that. Non rooted people are not as experienced, nor have the tools, to do the same.
  6. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

hmm, im stock, non rooted and have never backed up prior to ota's. i feel i am experienced with this handset just as people who root. i can factory reset this handset and be up and running in just a little time as well.
    novox77 likes this.
  7. jdsingle

All of those OTA updates I've taken were on stock devices. OG D1, DInc. TBolt, and now the 3V0. I just rooted last week :)

Same here.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I'm a backup freak, but really, probably the only thing I care about is my SMS data.

The rest is for convenience. In any case, factory reset at the first sign of trouble.
  9. jerofld

Ok...foot fully in mouth. :) I just know how I felt when I had to factory reset my device until I started rooting. And I hate having to recommend factory resetting to people who are having trouble with their device.
  10. EarlyMon

MyBackup Pro is only 5 bucks and most people will burn 5 bucks worth of their time replacing their phone - and we all replace phones. Only root gives perfect backup options, but MBPro is the next best thing, in my opinion. And even then, so much can be backed up for free (especially if you don't care about app data for games, like, Angry Birds), that it's just not difficult.
  11. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

I have been using MyBackup Pro for a while now, and I can say it is worth the money. There are also free apps that will backup Angry Birds. I won't do a factory reset without backing up Angry Birds first. lol. I have just played it too long and too much. I like to back up everything at least one every 3 months. And just to be on the safe side, I will backup everything before we go to ICS. You just never know what might happen.
  12. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE THE H@!! is the ICS?
  13. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

There's been a sighting!

14. thefley

15. EarlyMon

Surprising how quiet the rumor mill is on this.

Anyone want to post their predictions?

I'll say by April 30.
  16. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you guys, but Ice Cream Sandwich is old news now...

We have moved onto the J now. Google is keeping with the freezer section theme though. It has been made official, the update to follow Ice Cream Sandwich is going to be:

EarlyMon likes this.
  17. Corpse11

Corpse11 Well-Known Member

18. EarlyMon

They keep telling us we'll get it, but not when.

First we heard 1st quarter (then not), then the Sensation would be first (it wasn't, but it did start last Wednesday)...

So, I decided to post a guess, knowing that HTC would find it funny to beat that. ;) :)
    814 htc evo likes this.
  19. Corpse11

Corpse11 Well-Known Member

I'll doubt they'll ever give a date...I think the only way you'll get an exact date from them is a few days before they know Sprint will start rolling it out. I'm thinking our phones won't see ICS until HTC/Sprint announces the new line of phones coming out (ONE X, etc) because thats when you know ICS has been successful integrated with both the HTC and Sprint stuff.
  20. thefley

yes give Sprint time to #@$% it up before releasing it.
    814 htc evo likes this.
  21. jdsingle

April 19 for the win.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  22. wacko11

wacko11 Well-Known Member

I think April 11.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  23. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Never lol