• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would HTC engineer backwards? They wouldnt so clearly sense 3.0 isn't coming with ICS.

And the necessary updates they had to make to sense led most people to believe sense 4.0 would launch with ICS before ICS even dropped back in october. And since then we have seen videos and pictures and everything in between show sense 4.0 is coming with ICS.

ICS WILL CLEARLY COME WITH SENSE 4.0 FOR ANY DEVICE THAT WILL GET UPDATED... If your device isnt compatible with sense 4.0 your phone will not get updated to ICS, unless it is senseless.

The debate of sensed ICS vs. senseless ICS may rage on. But I couldnt care less about fluidity or snappiness I want a senseless version. HTC PLEASE RELEASE A SENSELESS ICS VERSION FOR US SO WE CAN CHOOSE. Otherwise your just making me have to go through and delete all that crap out of my phone manually.

Upvote 0
The next person to post about "hoping" ICS rolls out with sense 4.0 instead of 3.5 or 3.6 or 3.0. Will see me fill out an entire page of posts with memes dedicated to their stupidity.

They won't, because having an opinion on what they hope for in ICS doesn't really merit that sort of behaviour, even if you don't agree with that opinion. And if you think about it, having an opinion that differs to yours isn't really stupid is it?

As per the Site Rules and Guidelines, we welcome all opinions and encourage debate as long as it's done in a civilised fashion. The key is to attack issues, not other members.

Upvote 0
They won't, because having an opinion on what they hope for in ICS doesn't really merit that sort of behaviour, even if you don't agree with that opinion. And if you think about it, having an opinion that differs to yours isn't really stupid is it?

As per the Site Rules and Guidelines, we welcome all opinions and encourage debate as long as it's done in a civilised fashion. The key is to attack issues, not other members.

Haha should've seen that one coming. You have to agree that clearly they would not launch sense 3.0 with ICS. And since we have already seen videos of sense 4.0 with ICS. Im pretty sure we can all deduce from this that sense 4.0 will be the only route forward with ICS.

So questioning what version sense will be rolled out with ICS is a somewhat moot point.

The main question is when, and to what benefit, (If any) will sense offer. I maintain that it will serve no benefit except look nicer than stock ICS (which is even debatable). But the problem with looking nicer beeing the only plus is that i can go download another launcher which has more customization features and make it look how I want. Which is where sense falls short, it looks great but lacks basic customization functionality. I mean on stock 3.0 im stuck with 7 home screens, the dock is very useless seeing as how without rooting i cant change what each of the buttons do nor can i add more buttons, etc.

So sense is great for those that unbox their phones and just use them without questioning or changing the layout to how it suits them. But for the rest of us which actually care about wanting the phone to suit our needs and display a little flavour of our own, Sense is utterly disappointing, and frankly those of us that are the ones here customizing and playing around with the phone are the ones that upgrade our phones the most, buy new phones the most, buy the most expensive phones, and will stick with a certain manufacturer because we like their product or because we know our way around the device. So IMO sense is just alienating some of what could become HTC's best customers.

But instead of HTC coming onto a community blog or forum and looking at what our complaints and suggestions are, they bury their heads farther where the sun don't shine and pretend like everything is hunky dory...

Guess what this is my last HTC device, unless they release a proper source code for the kernels with 3d camera and such, and give us ICS without Sense.

*rant over

Upvote 0
Haha should've seen that one coming. You have to agree that clearly they would not launch sense 3.0 with ICS. And since we have already seen videos of sense 4.0 with ICS. Im pretty sure we can all deduce from this that sense 4.0 will be the only route forward with ICS.

So questioning what version sense will be rolled out with ICS is a somewhat moot point.

You would presume 4.0 would be the sensible choice, but there are ICS ROMs for the Sensation/XE based on official source using Sense 3.6: [ROM][★★ICS Sense 3.6★★][30 Jan]RCMix ICE v3.2.5,Faster Smoother Better TRUE APM MENU - xda-developers Evo 3D and the Sensation XE are similarly specced (afaik)? So for rampant speculations sake, it might only be newer handsets which get Sense 4.0 (initially anyway)?

The main question is when, and to what benefit, (If any) will sense offer. I maintain that it will serve no benefit except look nicer than stock ICS (which is even debatable). But the problem with looking nicer beeing the only plus is that i can go download another launcher which has more customization features and make it look how I want. Which is where sense falls short, it looks great but lacks basic customization functionality. I mean on stock 3.0 im stuck with 7 home screens, the dock is very useless seeing as how without rooting i cant change what each of the buttons do nor can i add more buttons, etc.

For one, the Sense camera is a massive plus over the stock offering. I've tried multiple ROM's, multiple camera apps and the Sense camera is easily the best I've used. I'm not saying it's brilliant, just the best of all that I've tried.

Re the homescreen thing, I'd a Sense 3.5 ROM on my DHD and from memory, you could change the number of home screens with that.

So sense is great for those that unbox their phones and just use them without questioning or changing the layout to how it suits them. But for the rest of us which actually care about wanting the phone to suit our needs and display a little flavour of our own, Sense is utterly disappointing, and frankly those of us that are the ones here customizing and playing around with the phone are the ones that upgrade our phones the most, buy new phones the most, buy the most expensive phones, and will stick with a certain manufacturer because we like their product or because we know our way around the device. So IMO sense is just alienating some of what could become HTC's best customers.

First sentence, the people who you are talking about are the vast majority, that's why HTC caters to them. I actually agree with you though, AOSP > Sense.

Incidentally, if you think Sense is bad, you've obviously never tried MotoBlur or Touchwiz?

But instead of HTC coming onto a community blog or forum and looking at what our complaints and suggestions are, they bury their heads farther where the sun don't shine and pretend like everything is hunky dory...

HTC are actually quite good at listening to their customer base, think about the whole bootloader unlock scheme via HTCdev.

Guess what this is my last HTC device, unless they release a proper source code for the kernels with 3d camera and such, and give us ICS without Sense.

*rant over

Fair play to you, I know I'll most likely be sticking with HTC when I upgrade. I can now, but I'm waiting to see what's announced at MWC later this month.

Your opinions are totally valid and I do agree with a lot of them, I just didn't like the initial method of delivery. :)

Upvote 0

Hilarious. Come in here with guns blazing as an expert, so let's talk expert to expert, shall we?

And let's clear a few other things up as we go.

You don't decide who gets to ask what and you don't get to discourage discussion of anything. People are free to ask and discuss whatever they want, and if you don't like it, you get to ignore those posts.

The rest of this post, like so many of mine, is perfectly cromulent, so I'm sure you'll be reading closely though. :)

The main question is when, and to what benefit, (If any) will sense offer.
OK. Someone else asked the same thing in a different way:

I read that the HTC EVO 3D will be getting ics. Does anyone know when and what's the difference between ics and gingerbread.

ICS brings four things to the table over Gingerbread:

1. Application/data integration such that apps are people-centric. The benefit for Sense lovers is not high here, this is the foundation of Sense, and I'm glad that non-Sense owners will finally realize this benefit. Of course, Sense is much more than a launcher, it's that plus an integrated app suite designed to make the system people-centric: go to a Contact and see at a glance if you have unread mail from that person, or an SMS, etc etc.
  2. Speaking of launchers, the stock ICS launcher (definitely) and some apps (from what I've read) are hardware accelerated. Again, the benefit to Sense lovers here is low, Sense is already hardware accelerated.
  3. An under-the-hood update to the way that the operating system manages tasks on processors with multiple CPUs, such as our Evo 3Ds. This one, we all care about. Our phones were already using both cpu cores from day one, but with ICS, many tasks will appear to run faster, because Android is preemptive multitasking operating system, just like your PC (regardless if Mac, Windows or Linux) - and because of that, as you already know, multiple tasks (apps and app services) are running at once. ICS simply makes better decisions about how to manage cpu use for those tasks running at the same time.
  4. Fundamental app updates. The simplest example is that the stock browser now allows 16 pages to be loaded at once. The extreme example is Google is finally focusing on the user experience and laying new guidelines for how users interact with apps and are already targeting to get rid of the menu button in a future release. The community of user interface programming professionals is already divided over whether this is a good move or not, and both sides cite case studies for how people interact with apps. While they figure that out, you'll be deciding what's right for you and using apps with the features and layout you like - pretty much like you do now.

I maintain that it will serve no benefit except look nicer than stock ICS (which is even debatable). But the problem with looking nicer beeing the only plus is that i can go download another launcher which has more customization features and make it look how I want. Which is where sense falls short, it looks great but lacks basic customization functionality. I mean on stock 3.0 im stuck with 7 home screens, the dock is very useless seeing as how without rooting i cant change what each of the buttons do nor can i add more buttons, etc.

The Sense motto from HTC is Make it yours.

My motto is that Android is all about choice.

Kudos for making the right choices for you. And hopefully, I've cleared up for you some of the differences between old/new Android and Sense.

So sense is great for those that unbox their phones and just use them without questioning or changing the layout to how it suits them. But for the rest of us which actually care...
BEEP!

Not completely accurate, only partially correct.

Sense is also for those people who actually care about things like the user interface, and find the Sense approach and Sense launcher exactly what they want already.

... about wanting the phone to suit our needs and display a little flavour of our own, Sense is utterly disappointing, and frankly those of us that are the ones here customizing and playing around with the phone are the ones that upgrade our phones the most, buy new phones the most, buy the most expensive phones, and will stick with a certain manufacturer because we like their product or because we know our way around the device. So IMO sense is just alienating some of what could become HTC's best customers.
Wow, I've been tracking Android market and consumer trends for quite some time, I'm not familiar with that claim. I'll be looking forward to your references backing up the idea that the majority of smart phone sales are driven by those seeking customization as opposed to those who would rather not, and naturally, I'm looking forward to those survey trends. I mention this because the most customizable Android phone, the Nexus series by Google for developers, has traditionally been the lowest seller.

I know for a certain fact that HTC software R&D, located here in the USA, does come and read our forums, and they have made changes over the last few years based on feedback they've gathered from user discussions here. They don't come here and discuss things very often, but every once in a great while, they'll stick their head in and say hi.

I very much doubt that they spend time caring about opinions from people who rudely flame them without all the facts in hand, but I could be wrong. But just to play it safe, I make my complaints here fact based, and leave the tough-guy invective at the door.

Well, you do what you think is best for you.

Many simply prefer the asynchronous cpu clocking unique to the Qualcomm dual cores over the standard A9 fare that the rest of the makers are feeding the market, and simply root and replace the entire software suite with an AOSP (read close enough as: straight Android) rom with non-Google enhancements and call it good. Those folks naturally don't have to wait as long for Android updates.

But as I said, Android is all about choice, and you do what you think is best for you.

So does anyone actually know the difference between Sense 3.6 and Sense 4.0? I mean, other than a number change? Could this be like Honeycomb, where Android 3.0 was for tablets only, but people got all sorts of upset that their latest/greatest phone came with Android 2.3 when Android 3.0+ existed?

Morning, Jer! :)

Yep, that's my big question as well.

In my earlier posts in this thread, I've suggested that because of the functional overlap of people-centric apps that Sense has always had, that is now new to Android and being a standard part of ICS, only fools would slap the two together and try to call it good, in my opinion. As I don't think HTC are fools, I believe the Sense change will hinge on how they do that feature integration.

Fancy words! :D

But what that means to us as users, I don't know. I have seen a blurry cam sneak peak of Sense 4, but I don't trust it. With past Sense updates, those sneak peak blurry cam vids have gone from 50% to 90% accurate as to what we've ended up with, so I'd say your guess is as good as mine.

~~~~~~~

Other than that, Goooooooooooooood morning, 3voLand! ;) :)

Upvote 0
I have to say that I love Sense and wouldn't do without it on my phones. That was a big reason I didn't buy a Motorola or Samsung device. I'm perfectly happy with Sense 3.0 so as long as it is a minimum of that version I could care less if they bring me more stuff to play around with. I guess I just don't feel the need to make my phone all "hip" and "cool" looking like most of my peers. As long as my phone does what I need it to do, looks are really not that important. Although, I can't do Beautiful Widgets over the stock Sense Clock/Weather so I do have my few look issues.

Upvote 0
Incidentally, if you think Sense is bad, you've obviously never tried MotoBlur or Touchwiz?

I have truly disgusting. I realize that each do something better than stock, but i like vanilla especially how ICS is looking.

HTC are actually quite good at listening to their customer base, think about the whole bootloader unlock scheme via HTCdev.

Yeah except it voids your warranty, I can understand that they dont want you messing up your phone and then blaming them, so you win this one.

@ Earlymon now, i respect you so much... but in your post i have no idea wether you agree or disagree with me. you seem to start all assertive then fall flat.

Hilarious. Come in here with guns blazing as an expert, so let's talk expert to expert, shall we?

Okay...

cromulent

Epic, im going to make this my word of the day soon.

OK. Someone else asked the same thing in a different way:

ICS brings four things to the table over Gingerbread:

1. Application/data integration such that apps are people-centric. The benefit for Sense lovers is not high here, this is the foundation of Sense, and I'm glad that non-Sense owners will finally realize this benefit. Of course, Sense is much more than a launcher, it's that plus an integrated app suite designed to make the system people-centric: go to a Contact and see at a glance if you have unread mail from that person, or an SMS, etc etc.
  2. Speaking of launchers, the stock ICS launcher (definitely) and some apps (from what I've read) are hardware accelerated. Again, the benefit to Sense lovers here is low, Sense is already hardware accelerated.
  3. An under-the-hood update to the way that the operating system manages tasks on processors with multiple CPUs, such as our Evo 3Ds. This one, we all care about. Our phones were already using both cpu cores from day one, but with ICS, many tasks will appear to run faster, because Android is preemptive multitasking operating system, just like your PC (regardless if Mac, Windows or Linux) - and because of that, as you already know, multiple tasks (apps and app services) are running at once. ICS simply makes better decisions about how to manage cpu use for those tasks running at the same time.
  4. Fundamental app updates. The simplest example is that the stock browser now allows 16 pages to be loaded at once. The extreme example is Google is finally focusing on the user experience and laying new guidelines for how users interact with apps and are already targeting to get rid of the menu button in a future release. The community of user interface programming professionals is already divided over whether this is a good move or not, and both sides cite case studies for how people interact with apps. While they figure that out, you'll be deciding what's right for you and using apps with the features and layout you like - pretty much like you do now.

I specifically asked what benefits SENSE brings over ICS. Not ICS vs. Gingerbread. But ill go through this anyways.

1. The first point clearly shows that ICS has further caught vanilla android up with sense

2. The second point shows even less decline in Sense's usefulness

3. Third point is something that is going to be a big plus to sense or non sense roms so its a moot point.

4. Their making vanilla more streamlined and pretty. And this is where Vanilla is catching up to the somewhat stale looking sense.

Dont get me wrong Sense was brilliant at one point and offered a lot over stock android. But as stock android has started catching up with Sense the innovation from HTC has subsided.

The Sense motto from HTC is Make it yours.

IMO they seem to have failed. The only proof of this that is necessary is that you are stuck with 7 homescreens, adding and removing homescreens is basic functionality in my mind.

My motto is that Android is all about choice.

Agreed. Which is why HTC should give us the choice of sense or not. Instead of forcing me to wait for updates so they can add sense on top of it which forces me to spend time removing it from my phone.

Wow, I've been tracking Android market and consumer trends for quite some time, I'm not familiar with that claim. I'll be looking forward to your references backing up the idea that the majority of smart phone sales are driven by those seeking customization as opposed to those who would rather not, and naturally, I'm looking forward to those survey trends. I mention this because the most customizable Android phone, the Nexus series by Google for developers, has traditionally been the lowest seller.

Okay, its hardly my fault that brilliant minds are few and far in between. But if you want to just get a phone that looks brilliant out of the box and you can stand everyone having the exact same device, and have it look identical, get an iPhone.

I have a really good friend who switched from a galaxy s to iPhone right when he bought a macbook air. 2 months later he sold them both got a PC and a galaxy s2. I asked him why, he switched back, he said "Apple products are for iiiiiidiots. its for people that are to stupid to think for themselves and want someone else to take care of everything for them."

(both the above paragraphs are in jest)

Upvote 0
I got that you asked what Sense brought over ICS, but I felt it was as valid to ask, what is ICS bringing that we don't have with Sense/Gingerbread.

As for aesthetics, your own view must surely support that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I get that you don't like the Sense appearance or other launcher lock-ins.

Sense reminds me of Windows or OS X - there's room to change things up, but there is a basic underlying setup that's constant and will be there for you, model after model. The full customization approach reminds me of Gentoo Linux. I'm operating system agnostic. I'd be bored living in a world where everyone thought the same thing.

Don't get me wrong about being sympathetic to your desire to get stock Android. I've posted the following many times, here's a copy from last October:

Dear Makers and Carriers,

Please market Android like cars with every model sold as SE (standard edition) and LX (luxury extension).

Make the SE vanilla Android, take your best shot at your LX with a reasonable add-on price and stop feeding us one size fits all models.

Thanks,
EarlyMon

This is a thread anticipating the ICS update. We're going to be expecting Sense with that.

By the way, point 3, task management improvement in ICS, is hardly moot. Performance upgrades are everyone's business.

I'm sure you'll agree that comparing people liking Sense to iSheep is more than a little over the top. If you want to suggest better ways for people to use their phones, fine - try it by giving benefits of your way, without attacking the choices of others. That's simply more polite, don't you agree?

Perhaps you'd like to start a Sense vs. Not thread in the Android Lounge or the HTC forum. Getting worked up over Sense hate in a thread where all most people will care about is when is it coming and what will have, isn't going to work out well for you. I'm not sure what responses you might expect wanting to argue against a version of Sense on a version of Android when neither have been used by virtually anyone here.

Or perhaps you'd be more satisfied hanging out in Android Themes here - pretty dynamic hangout, lots of great customization ideas there.

Again, I'm all for the idea of SE and LE versions of phones, because that's choice and Android is all about choice. But so far, we don't have that, we just have the LE version. And you don't like it. Not much any of us can do to help with that, in either direction.

Except to repeat that it sounds like root is right for you. And to repeat that with root, you never need be concerned with Sense again.

Wait - we have root. :)

So - problem solved. ;) (no sarcasm intended or involved - I honestly am not clear on your stand on rooting)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Dont get me wrong Sense was brilliant at one point and offered a lot over stock android. But as stock android has started catching up with Sense the innovation from HTC has subsided.

Then in such a case, Sense has gone viral. While many people profess to hate Sense, Android has adopted many of its precepts as it's grown up.

With people that already have it responding so favorably to ICS, I'm glad to see these user-centric ideas vindicated.

And the counterpoint is, now that HTC innovations have been partially embraced in Android, are they really done, or will the next Sense bring us more?

Or will it bring us less, rely more on the similarity of functions built into ICS, and become sleeker and faster? Or do that and add value by allowing more customization and theming?

Or will they totally screw up and end up going from the sleeker 3 we have now to a bloated cow?

Could go any which way, only time will tell.

PS - the respect is mutual, and I'm rarely a black and white sort. I'm happy to take hard line positions and support them to the bitter end, I just think we'd both be more satisfied doing that in another thread. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I don't want to quote and break up the quotes as I think I can summarize it into one post:

What will Sense bring to ICS (or rather, with ICS as we're not getting ICS without it)? The Sense framework. You may laugh, scoff, or maybe even do both, but the Sense framework does bring some interesting features. Granted, those features may not be something you or I use regularly, but they are still there.

Internet Pass-through. Probably one of the most overlooked features of Sense. And maybe not even all that useful to 99% of Sense users. But being able to connect my phone to a computer and charge my phone while getting internet without wifi or 3G/4G has been a bit of a Godsend to me every once in a great while. At work, sometimes the wifi coverage is spotty and 3G works ok, but streaming over 3G can take a chunk out of the battery. So I use internet pass-through to stream my music in those cases. This would also be useful for those who don't have wifi available, and don't have data plans. Like HBOOT 1.5 users that flash their kernels incorrectly.

App intercommunication. The whole modified People app with being able to track any/all conversations per contact is something ICS is just now getting to, and it's not as good as Sense.

HTC's widgets. Yes, there are nearly identical widgets that are either free or cheap. But you have to find them. Truly, if I hadn't been posting on these forums for as long as I have, I wouldn't known of these alternate widgets. If I hadn't known about them, I'd been less likely to use ADW as the HTC widgets are top quality. For the average user that HTC is going for, this is probably one of their most important qualities. Like that weatherclock widget that is so recognizable. And it's built right in, so the user doesn't have to go searching for alternatives, if they are even aware there are alternatives.

The only question I have is how the lockscreen is going to turn out. I like the Sense 3 lockscreen (so that's why I have widget locker mimic it + extra widgets). Even if the ICS lockscreen is customizable, I think the Sense 3 one is better.

But I will say this, if given the choice between Sense and AOSP, I would go AOSP. The extra features of Sense are not so big that it matters to me. But I wouldn't want HTC to completely strip Sense out of their phones. It's a good framework/launcher. It's just like how you said, AOSP has made major strides in catching up. And it weighs in at a lot less. But I'm an Android fan and consider myself a bit of a power user. I remember switching from Motoblur to Sense and I can definitely see why HTC puts so much time into Sense.

Upvote 0
So is it just me or is the suspense and lack of potential release dates for ICS FOR THE 3D EVO considering Sprint will be moving up to 4g LTE which will make the lack of EVO 3d LTE worthless in a 4g sense of mind that is... I'm just curious if I'm alone in the insane dragged out suspense tense and aggravating day by day no ics release :( :( :( ??

Upvote 0
Not to fuel any fires, and as with any rumor, take this with a heaping helping of skepticism. But...

The Evo 3D's half brother, the HTC Sensation, will likely be getting Ice Cream Sandwich soon. The new white version is said to be coming to Europe (Netherlands) on March 1st released with 4.0

White HTC Sensation running ICS to land March 1 - SlashGear

And according to rumors out of France, the current Sensation (unclear if it is EU only - Sensation XE's, or if it will cover ALL Sensation models in all regions) will be getting a 4.0 Over The Air update in March with an upgrade to HTC Sense 3.5 from 3.0

Android 4.0.5 Coming to Galaxy Nexus in March

Interesting stuff, and a tad better to read and think about rather than simply reading people's arguments for or against rooting, and for or against Sense as a launcher. (Just my opinion) :D

Upvote 0
Maybe we will get some tasty new info at the upcoming special HTC Event scheduled for Feb. 26? If not there then maybe a day or two later at the annual Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona?

The MWC has always proven to be a good time to learn more about current devices and alot about upcoming devices.

Upvote 0
Thanks yeah I heard about the sensation for Europe as well which makes me wonder why europe first and second why no info about our beloved one of a kind 3vos ?! :( :( :( :(

Like EarlyMon said it's the carriers in the US that mess everything up for us. They have to have a unique version of the phone with bloatware which slows everything down.

Upvote 0
Like EarlyMon said it's the carriers in the US that mess everything up for us. They have to have a unique version of the phone with bloatware which slows everything down.

Or they have a tougher QC department that doesn't just throw whatever the OEM gives them into the wild. I know that's why Verizon doesn't push out updates as fast as competitors, because they test the living crap out of the software before it's pushed out.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
While I look forward to ICS on my 3D, I find I'm just not terribly concerned with it. We have never gotten 4G where I am. Now that Sprint is moving to LTE, I don't much care about getting an OS update for this phone. As much as I love my 3D, at this point all I am looking forward to is getting LTE in Wichita, and then upgrading to a new phone altogether. I had my old Mogul for years, always hearing about the next big phone, and putting it off, hoping for a great phone and 4g. Well, I got the great phone, but ended up getting screwed on 4G. ICS would at least make the wait for LTE less painful, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones