ICS/Automatic Radio TurnoffGeneral

1. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member

Hey, im sort of puzzled on this when, it seams that every time I wake up (morning) or have left my phone sleep an inactive for and extended period of time I lose all service expect for wifi if i had it on, after i begin to use the phone (sometimes have to toggle airplane mode) my bars come back and service is restored. So my question is this a battery saving technique built into ICS, or is just the network going in and out the signal radio getting stuck between hand offs to 4g/3g or vice versa.

Im in an extended 4G area with Full bars when I have service.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

hmmm...my guess would be it is stuck with handoffs. i am in a 2bar 4g area and i never have this issue.

i am on the 4.0.4 radios though.

you dont have juice defender installed or anything do you?

i would probably talk to verizon and see if they can get you a new SIM card (wont cost anything) because i had similar issues with my thunderbolt and a new sim fixed it.
  3. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

Never had this type of problem I would definitely bring it in to support could even be a bad decie with bad radio hardware. It should'nt hang up, especially when not being used.
  4. ISASoilder

Thanks for the feedback im thinking about just wiping it with a factory restart then slapping a ROM on it (after i back it up on my laptop first) id hate to risk getting a used one in exchange for my new one if it comes to replacing the phone.
  5. Sleek2G

Sleek2G Well-Known Member

I'm having the same issue. I can leave the phone without use for a little while and when I turn it on I have no signal. I have to do the same that the OP does and toggle airplane mode on and off. Might just have to flash a different radio, if that fails I guess I will have to restore it to stock and take it in for a SIM card replacement.
  6. ISASoilder

Yea its very annoying when that happens but oddly since ive gone back to school and in a better signal area i havent lost any connection after its been sitting for awhile but yea we really need that firmware update ASAP
  7. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

I got a replacement a few days ago because of this. When I would try to dial out I would get an error message "No mobile network available". There were no 'bars' to my signal indicator, just a grey triangle. Pulling the battery/power cycling would fix it but it would go back pretty soon thereafter. My new phone has done it once. It made me wonder if it might be the SIM card. Hasn't happened since though.
  8. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Mine used to often get grey signal bars shortly after phone calls. then it turns to blue bars in about 10~15 seconds. It's still connected to data as long as it has 3G or 4G icon on it.

It's probably not the same issue discussed here. But after checking the "home only" in system select setting (default is automatic), it seems to turn to blue bars much quicker after calls and 3G/4G switching is faster too. It feels like radios are acting quicker. So you may try this and see if it helps.
  9. PKayy

PKayy Well-Known Member

Anyone know if changing the SIM card actually works... I'm having dropped calls, "no mobile network" and no data quite often and it's getting quite annoying.