• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ics confirmed as cancelled or is it see page 3

Hi gang, My name is Nitro and I am a Desire HD owner as well.
I reside in Canada on Telus network and they are still shooting for the 25th of July as of this posting at least.

I don't doubt this info from my carrier, they are pretty accurate usually 8), Anyhow I wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi" to everyone here in this forum.

"Hi Everyone!":p

Excited for new functionality, I sure am:)

Reactions: 2badmice
Upvote 0
Don't get ANY hopes up:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20647/android-upgrade-report-card-second-quarter:

Android upgrade report card: HTC
Things aren't looking so sunny for HTC at the end of the second quarter. The company, which earned a semi-respectable "B-" for its upgrade efforts in the first quarter of the year, let users down on a number of different fronts these past few months.
HTC promised an "early 2012" upgrade for its Amaze 4G phone but didn't deliver the upgrade until late May. It promised an upgrade for its EVO 3D at the start of 2012 but didn't roll out any upgrades to the phone until last week -- and the upgrade remains limited in nature, with EVO 3D customers in the U.S. still waiting for any sign of progress.
The letdowns, unfortunately, don't stop there: HTC promised an upgrade by the end of March for its Sensation 4G but didn't provide it until the middle of May. It promised a "May or June" upgrade for its EVO 4G+ phone and has yet to come through in any way. And it promised "early 2012" upgrades for the EVO Design 4G and HTC Rezound -- then changed its mind and said it'd upgrade them in "June or July." As of now, both devices are still waiting.
If HTC is going to catch up, it's going to have to start working in overtime, as several of its other handsets are nearing the end of their promised upgrade windows as well: The Desire HD, Desire S, Droid Incredible 2, Rhyme, and Thunderbolt are all set to be upgraded within the next two months, with two of the phones down to be done before the end of July.
HTC did deliver on one promise this quarter: It sent Ice Cream Sandwich to its international Incredible S phone in early July, as scheduled. But with all the failures, that one success isn't enough to erase an otherwise embarrassing performance.
FINAL GRADE: D+

Things like this push me to look at other manufacturers when considering my new phone. I also dont like the way HTC are now following the Iphone model of not allowing you to take out the battery thus not allowing me to carry a spare.

I still have a couple of months of this contract so will be keeping an eye on things to see how they continue.

Upvote 0
Things like this push me to look at other manufacturers when considering my new phone. I also dont like the way HTC are now following the Iphone model of not allowing you to take out the battery thus not allowing me to carry a spare.

I still have a couple of months of this contract so will be keeping an eye on things to see how they continue.

After looking at my DHD, then the sensation and others, I really thought my next phone would be another HTC.
I knew they were fairly bad at updates, but i though as long as they make the damn thing, I could get custom roms without having to worry about orange rolling it out.

Upvote 0
So we are not getting it? So much for the 18-month support commitment. HTC has phones with lower specs on ICS.

I don't think that it means we won't be getting it, I just think it means that it may be delayed a little. As EP says, it could just be Telus that are not releasing it yet... we'll have to wait and see for other carriers from around the world! :)

Upvote 0
Ditto. already set on it. had phone for 18 months and we're two software versions up already without an update. Why on earth would anyone put up with this?

Much the same as you guys im leaning towards samsung as i dont like the lack of support from HTC, and dont want one of the new models that dont allow the removal of the battery.

Upvote 0
Much the same as you guys im leaning towards samsung as i dont like the lack of support from HTC, and dont want one of the new models that dont allow the removal of the battery.

ah yes, alternative would be Motorola Razr Maxx because of the battery life which balances the lack of updates (though I believe they're now Google owned). Can't find it in any UK shop yet, though...

Upvote 0
I've been wanting a new phone for a while now but hanging on for the ICS update (looked into rooting, soon gave up on that idea, I'm not a luddite but the info went right over my head)

I'm getting to the stage now where I might just buy a new phone, I don't know what I'm expecting from ICS on the DHD anyway.

New phone > Updated FW on an old phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that link. I like the quote

So there you go. The Desire HD may be approaching its second birthday, but at least it should see one more OS update before it's put out to pasture.
ICS may be approaching its first birthday but we still only have it on less than 10% of mobile phones out there, which is a damning indictment of the way Android works at the moment.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Gingerbread will continue to make up the majority of Android phones for a long time. Many manufacturers are still building brand new GB phones which will never be updated to ICS/JB. Here is a longer explanation: Why Android 2.3, Gingerbread, Will Be Around For A Long Time, And Why It Is Not A Bad Thing

Thanks for the link. If I'd bought a $140 phone with low spec I'd probably not complain but simply buy another one after 18 months that can run what I want to run. But I bought what I thought I was at the time a top of the range phone that's now seen two iterations of Android come and go. Android lives in competition with others and after three years with Android I should not be thinking of switching to iphone or Blackberry or a 'pure' Google phone because of things like the update cycle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones