ics confirmed as cancelled or is it see page 3General

Last Updated:

1. MikNitro

MikNitro New Member

Hi gang, My name is Nitro and I am a Desire HD owner as well.
    I reside in Canada on Telus network and they are still shooting for the 25th of July as of this posting at least.

I don't doubt this info from my carrier, they are pretty accurate usually 8), Anyhow I wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi" to everyone here in this forum.

"Hi Everyone!":p

Excited for new functionality, I sure am:)

Advertisement
    2badmice likes this.
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Hey Mik, thanks for the info and welcome to AF! :)
  3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Good to have you on board MikNitro! :)

Hope you find this place useful... if you need any help navigating the forums, hit one of us guides up :D
  4. SUSS

SUSS Well-Known Member

Things like this push me to look at other manufacturers when considering my new phone. I also dont like the way HTC are now following the Iphone model of not allowing you to take out the battery thus not allowing me to carry a spare.

I still have a couple of months of this contract so will be keeping an eye on things to see how they continue.
    2badmice likes this.
  5. njlieck

njlieck Member

Thing is, if you like to get updates, stick with the Nexus. If you're not fussed about having the latest system, go with HTC and others, or Blackberry or Windows phones, or have short contracts.
  6. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

After looking at my DHD, then the sensation and others, I really thought my next phone would be another HTC.
    I knew they were fairly bad at updates, but i though as long as they make the damn thing, I could get custom roms without having to worry about orange rolling it out.
  7. El Presidente

Mehta23 likes this.
  8. Bedroom Eyes

Bedroom Eyes Well-Known Member

Kinda mad that they cancelled it. But at least they're willing to admit it's garbage and aren't giving us something broken.
  9. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

But all the other rom ports are working working pretty fine...?
  10. ral

ral Well-Known Member

So we are not getting it? So much for the 18-month support commitment. HTC has phones with lower specs on ICS.
  11. El Presidente

It's just Telus at the moment, I presume the unbranded software is fine.
  12. D-U-R-X

I don't think that it means we won't be getting it, I just think it means that it may be delayed a little. As EP says, it could just be Telus that are not releasing it yet... we'll have to wait and see for other carriers from around the world! :)
    2badmice likes this.
  13. Bedroom Eyes

Did some research on it, apparently it wasn't TELUS that decided against it, it was HTC in Canada that cancelled distribution to TELUS. Hopefully you guys still get it, I'll just be here on 2.3.5 :(
  14. D-U-R-X

You would have thought that, if it was HTC themselves that pulled the plug to Telus, they will do the same for elsewhere in the world. I don't think that it will be pulled indefinitely though... I am sure it will come eventually!! :)
  15. ral

ral Well-Known Member

If eventually is much longer, it may not matter much. My contract is up right after the new year, at which time I am going to get a Nexus phone.
  16. njlieck

njlieck Member

Ditto. already set on it. had phone for 18 months and we're two software versions up already without an update. Why on earth would anyone put up with this?
  17. SUSS

SUSS Well-Known Member

Much the same as you guys im leaning towards samsung as i dont like the lack of support from HTC, and dont want one of the new models that dont allow the removal of the battery.
  18. njlieck

njlieck Member

ah yes, alternative would be Motorola Razr Maxx because of the battery life which balances the lack of updates (though I believe they're now Google owned). Can't find it in any UK shop yet, though...
  19. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

I've been wanting a new phone for a while now but hanging on for the ICS update (looked into rooting, soon gave up on that idea, I'm not a luddite but the info went right over my head)

I'm getting to the stage now where I might just buy a new phone, I don't know what I'm expecting from ICS on the DHD anyway.

New phone > Updated FW on an old phone.
    2badmice likes this.
  20. ral

ral Well-Known Member

If the Chrome browser ran on Gingerbread, I would not care about the update... but it does not.
  21. fusion123

fusion123 Member

22. njlieck

njlieck Member

Thanks for that link. I like the quote

So there you go. The Desire HD may be approaching its second birthday, but at least it should see one more OS update before it's put out to pasture.
    ICS may be approaching its first birthday but we still only have it on less than 10% of mobile phones out there, which is a damning indictment of the way Android works at the moment.
  23. Bedroom Eyes

Fusion, you don't know how happy I am to hear that. I love Gingerbread, it worked a lot better than Froyo, but after seeing what ICS is compared to GB, I've been anxious ever since I heard the late July release date.
  24. ral

ral Well-Known Member

25. njlieck

njlieck Member

Thanks for the link. If I'd bought a $140 phone with low spec I'd probably not complain but simply buy another one after 18 months that can run what I want to run. But I bought what I thought I was at the time a top of the range phone that's now seen two iterations of Android come and go. Android lives in competition with others and after three years with Android I should not be thinking of switching to iphone or Blackberry or a 'pure' Google phone because of things like the update cycle.