• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi guys. My first post ever!

Let me get to it. I'm still getting familiar with my S2 LTE. So far I love it! I read somewhere that Rogers Canada is rolling out ICS for it as well. Here's the thing: i'm using an unlocked Rogers Canada S2 LTE on a different carrier. Will I still be able to update my phone? If yes how would I do so?

Can I do it OTA and if yes how?

Thanks guys.

Hi guys. My first post ever!

Let me get to it. I'm still getting familiar with my S2 LTE. So far I love it! I read somewhere that Rogers Canada is rolling out ICS for it as well. Here's the thing: i'm using an unlocked Rogers Canada S2 LTE on a different carrier. Will I still be able to update my phone? If yes how would I do so?

Can I do it OTA and if yes how?

Thanks guys.

If you're on a different carrier, not sure about updated OTA, but you can update via KIES to ICS.

Go here for info on KIES
Transfer, Sync & Manage Music, Movies, Photos, Contacts and Calendars with Kies

THey haven't made a one click Odin for the new Rogers ICS, if they do, I'll post it here for you.

Upvote 0
I got the ICS from samsung and updated my S2LTE.
how do I save my contacts because I want to do a factory reset.
Thanks

Back your contacts up with Google. Just go to

settings>Accounts>Choose account>enable sync contacts

Once synced, go to contacts and make sure your contacts now have a G saying they have been backed up.

As an added measure(since you have never backed up to google it seems), open gmail on a PC/MAC and log in - on the left click on contacts, and make sure your contacts are there. If they are, you're good to go on the reset.

Upvote 0
Just plug in your phone and a prompt to update will come up.

Just updated mine and am tinkering around with it

I am in the same boat as the OP running the leaked AT&T 4.0.3 (firmware UCALC4) on an unlocked Rogers S2 Skyrocket (LTE).

However, when I plugged into my PC Kies indicates that it doesn't not support updating via Kies. I read that it's related to the non stock firmware (UCALC4) that I currently have. Does it mean I'll have to reload Rogers' GB firmware to upgrade via Kies?

So how would you recommend a new Android user to remedy this ?

Thank you very much!
Jason

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat as the OP running the leaked AT&T 4.0.3 (firmware UCALC4) on an unlocked Rogers S2 Skyrocket (LTE).

However, when I plugged into my PC Kies indicates that it doesn't not support updating via Kies. I read that it's related to the non stock firmware (UCALC4) that I currently have. Does it mean I'll have to reload Rogers' GB firmware to upgrade via Kies?

So how would you recommend a new Android user to remedy this ?

Thank you very much!
Jason

Unfortunately, KIES won't let you update if you are not on GB.

Go here and follow the steps to revert back to GB
[HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

You'll want the tar file with an R in it.

Then, once done, plug into KIES and update to official ICS

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones