ICS General Impressions/Tips & TricksGeneral

1. acejavelin

acejavelin Well-Known Member

My favorite feature:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> (Any VZW App) -> DISABLE

No more in menus, app drawer, and no asking me to update in the Play Store stupid crap I will never use!!!
    Jazzy79 likes this.
  2. FussBoss

FussBoss Well-Known Member

I was a very anti-factory reset person at first. I held off doing a factory reset on my RAZR... but man, when I did I fell in love with my phone all over again. My wife is out of town right now with her Rezound, so I am not sure if you can wipe your cache first but if you can do that also. My apps were auto-redownloading but I stopped it so I could pick and choose what I wanted back on my phone. But ya, I would say do it, it is going to take you a bit to get back to where you like it - but it is well worth it.
  3. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

I'm having issues loading pictures in Gallery, and every once in awhile it won't show anything at all in Gallery. . .
  4. I think this problem is exclusively with URLs. I tried looking up directions on google maps on the PC, and then sending them to the phone with the Chrome to Phone extension. Previously that would cause the Maps app to launch, now it just launches the browser. Thankfully clicking on an address will still open up Maps.
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  5. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member

Well Voodoo root keeper worked and i kept root. So far the only bug is i lost volume rocker wake with Widgetlocker. Not sure how to get it back :(
  6. WarnerYoung

WarnerYoung Well-Known Member

Another change I noted is when you set a wallpaper, the cropping rectangle is actually the correct shape and aspect ratio now. You no longer have to guess which center part of your image will *actually* end up on your home screen.

I think I would have liked the old Incredible style scrolling wallpapers, but I can see how that would:
    1) Be weird when you can scroll all the way around from panel 7 to panel 1.
    2) Use a lot more memory than on an Incredible, since you'd be storing something like 1440x1280 (1,843,200 pixels) image instead of 960x800 (768,000 pixels)
  7. mike146

mike146 Active Member

I seem to not have this function available. When I click on an app,all I get is the force stop, uninstall updates screen. Hitting menu doesn't do anything at all. Help. Would love to disable some of the crap that keeps asking for updates.

Everything else seems okay with ICS update so far.

thanks
  8. Corki2

Corki2 Well-Known Member

Uninstall the updates and you will have the disable option.
  9. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

If FoxFi is running fine, can you let us know how you have it set up?

I can't for the life of me get this running at all... Neither Wifi nor BT work.

Lego
  10. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

Actually, This can be found via Settings > Privacy > Back Up Settings

Now... does it work? I don't know yet... But the option is there...

Lego
    iowabowtech likes this.
  11. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

is there some place i can go to find out what precisely should be changed or not in ICS? the reason being, i am looking at some sites that talk about everything that is in ICS, and i do not have all of these things. for instance, i cannot swipe sideways in my app drawer, there is no new people app, etc. anyone have any info on this? thanks.
  12. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Lv 60 Bounty Hunter Moderator

You and me both bro. My girls GS3 has this :(
    Really... never thought to look there. Will have to check that out. Thanks!
    People app is a product of Sense, so is the way the app drawer is set up. Not sure how that looks on Sense 4.0 phones but that not changing is because of the UI
    iowabowtech likes this.
  13. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

okay, thanks, that makes sense (er...). :) but how about the notifications being accessible from the lock screen? i don't have that. does anyone else?
  14. Corki2

Corki2 Well-Known Member

Personalize, display, lockscreen shortcuts. Select which apps you want. Then go to settings, privacy and check phone and message notification previews.
  15. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Nice! Would have never thought of the privacy tab. First person to try a factory reset please report back. Is yours checked to backup by default?
  16. Alexander1977

Alexander1977 Member

I had the exact same problem. I was like how the f do i make a call with this "phone"? Not until two other people in my office did the upgrade (and had the phone shortcut) did I realize something went wrong with my update. I did a factory reset and the phone icon magically appeared. But for the life of me, I cannot root this phone using the method I did with GB (but that is for a different thread). Doing the factory reset sucks monkey balls, but at least you get a clean slate (and the ability to make phone calls).:)
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  17. NightAngel79

I think she meant the actual notification pull-down window.

@gidget - when i am on the lock screen the notification windows just pulls down same as when phone isn't locked. It should work even if you dont have a notification. Try pulling it down
    gidget likes this.
  18. kyle6286

kyle6286 Member

If you go to settings, apps, and then all aps, you can click on most of the bloatware and either disable them or, if that doesn't work, uninstall updates first and then you're given the option to disable them. I did this to a bunch of the bloatware craps like slacker, nfl mobile, etc. They no longer appear in my apps list, nor do I get the annoying update on Google Play store for apps I don't use.
  19. ericmylad

ericmylad New Member

Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Since I downloaded the ICS upgrade yesterday, I've only noticed 1 minor issue & I'm wondering if someone here might know how to fix.

On my Favorite Contact screen, one (and only one) of my contacts is not showing their Facebook photo. Everyone else's photo is there. I tried logging out of FB, logging in and syncing and also unlinking & re-linking FB to this person & neither has worked. When I got into my Friends in FB, his photo is there.

Anyone have any other ideas I might try? Thanks for the help
  20. zazan

zazan Well-Known Member

Since the update my battery usage is way off. I am draining the battery like never before. Funny, my wife and I have identical phones and hers is perfect after the update. Her battery life is much better. Why me?

Any suggestions?
  21. BigRoach

BigRoach Well-Known Member

I have this same problem - only, it's for the majority of my facebook contacts, not just one or two. However, there ARE some that do have their picture - it really does seem random! The pic shows for some people that I have only in FB, for some it doesn't - and it shows for some that I have both in FB and other contacts (gmail, yahoo, etc), but then doesn't show for others.

I've tried the same fixes as you have, as well. I do notice that if I open the individual contact, on the right it has a broken Facebook link - but I was always under the impression that meant that it was a contact you normally had on your phone, and it didn't know whether to link to the facebook match or not (?)
  22. CHDarwin

CHDarwin New Member

How did you get the SD card mounted? I cannot get mine to mount at all.
  23. Alexander1977

Alexander1977 Member

Have you checked your awake time? Sounds like your phone is not sleeping.
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  24. NightAngel79

Open the contact in 'people' and hit menu>edit>then click the picture (or where the pic would be if there isn't one), you should get the option to choose which picture to use for the contact, ie. facebook, google, twitter, etc

If you can narrow down a certain app that is misbehaving then a uninstall - re-install should do the trick.

It is advisable to do a factory reset though after a major OS update

see above
    All i had to do is go to menu>settings>storage><scroll all the way down> click 'mount'

Haven't had any issues since then
  25. Lorielle

Lorielle Member

I have used GO SMS for my default text messager since I've had my Rezound. I like that it allows a different notification sound and much more customization for my contacts. But I have a big issue after I did the update last night. I can't get any of my contacts photos to show up. :(

So, I tried to use the stock messenger. The contact images show up but I don't see any way to customize the notifications individually.

I tried Handcent and there was similar problems pulling the images.

Typically, the images pull from Facebook images and they also attach to the individuals in my phone book so their photo pops up for caller ID.

I have noticed there appears to be 2 Facebooks on my phone. One I can find and one I only see when I try to upload pictures. Facebook for HTC sense. After the big download and reboot last night, I had a hard time connecting to Facebook and things erroring out.

Frustrating. Sorry this is so long winded, but if anyone has any tips, suggestions, etc. I will be ever grateful.

Thanks!