• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS General Impressions/Tips & Tricks

Can someone explain why it is recommended to do a factory reset after an OS update? I've seen that on other threads, but I'm not clear on why. My phone is running great after the update, so I'd like to know whether it's worth the hassle.
I was a very anti-factory reset person at first. I held off doing a factory reset on my RAZR... but man, when I did I fell in love with my phone all over again. My wife is out of town right now with her Rezound, so I am not sure if you can wipe your cache first but if you can do that also. My apps were auto-redownloading but I stopped it so I could pick and choose what I wanted back on my phone. But ya, I would say do it, it is going to take you a bit to get back to where you like it - but it is well worth it.

Upvote 0
In app associations menu it lists maps, the way i read it is that it would still open the map app if i click a map url

I think this problem is exclusively with URLs. I tried looking up directions on google maps on the PC, and then sending them to the phone with the Chrome to Phone extension. Previously that would cause the Maps app to launch, now it just launches the browser. Thankfully clicking on an address will still open up Maps.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Another change I noted is when you set a wallpaper, the cropping rectangle is actually the correct shape and aspect ratio now. You no longer have to guess which center part of your image will *actually* end up on your home screen.

I think I would have liked the old Incredible style scrolling wallpapers, but I can see how that would:
1) Be weird when you can scroll all the way around from panel 7 to panel 1.
2) Use a lot more memory than on an Incredible, since you'd be storing something like 1440x1280 (1,843,200 pixels) image instead of 960x800 (768,000 pixels)

Upvote 0
My favorite feature:

Settings -> Apps -> All -> (Any VZW App) -> DISABLE

No more in menus, app drawer, and no asking me to update in the Play Store stupid crap I will never use!!!

I seem to not have this function available. When I click on an app,all I get is the force stop, uninstall updates screen. Hitting menu doesn't do anything at all. Help. Would love to disable some of the crap that keeps asking for updates.

Everything else seems okay with ICS update so far.

thanks

Upvote 0
I seem to not have this function available. When I click on an app,all I get is the force stop, uninstall updates screen. Hitting menu doesn't do anything at all. Help. Would love to disable some of the crap that keeps asking for updates.

Everything else seems okay with ICS update so far.

thanks

Uninstall the updates and you will have the disable option.

Upvote 0
Just finished update, was not rooted, and everything is working fine. All pics, etc are there. And FoxFi works like a charm. Getting closer to being as good as my Incredible. One thing I don't like are some of the pictures I take. In some of the indoor shots faces look a bit fake, for lack of a better word. Kind of like those Charles Schwab (spelling?) Commercials with real people with coloring added over them.

If FoxFi is running fine, can you let us know how you have it set up?

I can't for the life of me get this running at all... Neither Wifi nor BT work.

Lego

Upvote 0
Hopefully the whole factory reset thing won't be as painful as before. ICS should have an option to backup to Google servers. Settings > Backup & Reset > Backup my data. This SHOULD allow your market apps and data to restore after a reset. This is one of the greatest improvements in ICS I think. Haven't tried it on a Rezound yet but its worked on my Gnexus just fine.

Actually, This can be found via Settings > Privacy > Back Up Settings

Now... does it work? I don't know yet... But the option is there...

Lego

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
is there some place i can go to find out what precisely should be changed or not in ICS? the reason being, i am looking at some sites that talk about everything that is in ICS, and i do not have all of these things. for instance, i cannot swipe sideways in my app drawer, there is no new people app, etc. anyone have any info on this? thanks.

Upvote 0
Dang, I was hoping it was universal to ICS. Well forget that then.

You and me both bro. My girls GS3 has this :(
Actually, This can be found via Settings > Privacy > Back Up Settings

Now... does it work? I don't know yet... But the option is there...

Lego

Really... never thought to look there. Will have to check that out. Thanks!
is there some place i can go to find out what precisely should be changed or not in ICS? the reason being, i am looking at some sites that talk about everything that is in ICS, and i do not have all of these things. for instance, i cannot swipe sideways in my app drawer, there is no new people app, etc. anyone have any info on this? thanks.

People app is a product of Sense, so is the way the app drawer is set up. Not sure how that looks on Sense 4.0 phones but that not changing is because of the UI

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Two problems: SD card won't mount, and no phone/dialer icon shortcut.

EDIT: Got the SD card mounted, still no phone icon or personalize icon as shown in the official documentation.

I had the exact same problem. I was like how the f do i make a call with this "phone"? Not until two other people in my office did the upgrade (and had the phone shortcut) did I realize something went wrong with my update. I did a factory reset and the phone icon magically appeared. But for the life of me, I cannot root this phone using the method I did with GB (but that is for a different thread). Doing the factory reset sucks monkey balls, but at least you get a clean slate (and the ability to make phone calls).:)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
okay, thanks, that makes sense (er...). :) but how about the notifications being accessible from the lock screen? i don't have that. does anyone else?

Personalize, display, lockscreen shortcuts. Select which apps you want. Then go to settings, privacy and check phone and message notification previews.

I think she meant the actual notification pull-down window.

@gidget - when i am on the lock screen the notification windows just pulls down same as when phone isn't locked. It should work even if you dont have a notification. Try pulling it down

Reactions: gidget
Upvote 0
Llama no longer supports having different volume settings within the same profile (I would set my notifications to low volume while I'm sleeping, but keep the ringer the same - can't do this anymore).
I, too, had to redo all my contact links. Also all of my general sound settings (ringtone, notification, etc).

Also, I think ~12 of my apps immediately prompted for updates, to make them compatible with ICS.

Definitely not a fan of them switching the "cancel" and "ok" button positions on most of the system pop-ups. What's the point?

Had to enable the wireless network, and reset the phone, to get it to pull down a data signal after the upgrade.

I do like the "app association" option in the phone settings. Also, I was happy to be able to disable Facebook messenger, but disappointed that I can't do anything with the stock bloatware (Slacker, HTC messenger, etc).

After all the hype, I'm actually not entirely sure why this is so much better than GB - but I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

If you go to settings, apps, and then all aps, you can click on most of the bloatware and either disable them or, if that doesn't work, uninstall updates first and then you're given the option to disable them. I did this to a bunch of the bloatware craps like slacker, nfl mobile, etc. They no longer appear in my apps list, nor do I get the annoying update on Google Play store for apps I don't use.

Upvote 0
Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Since I downloaded the ICS upgrade yesterday, I've only noticed 1 minor issue & I'm wondering if someone here might know how to fix.

On my Favorite Contact screen, one (and only one) of my contacts is not showing their Facebook photo. Everyone else's photo is there. I tried logging out of FB, logging in and syncing and also unlinking & re-linking FB to this person & neither has worked. When I got into my Friends in FB, his photo is there.

Anyone have any other ideas I might try? Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Since I downloaded the ICS upgrade yesterday, I've only noticed 1 minor issue & I'm wondering if someone here might know how to fix.

On my Favorite Contact screen, one (and only one) of my contacts is not showing their Facebook photo. Everyone else's photo is there. I tried logging out of FB, logging in and syncing and also unlinking & re-linking FB to this person & neither has worked. When I got into my Friends in FB, his photo is there.

I have this same problem - only, it's for the majority of my facebook contacts, not just one or two. However, there ARE some that do have their picture - it really does seem random! The pic shows for some people that I have only in FB, for some it doesn't - and it shows for some that I have both in FB and other contacts (gmail, yahoo, etc), but then doesn't show for others.

I've tried the same fixes as you have, as well. I do notice that if I open the individual contact, on the right it has a broken Facebook link - but I was always under the impression that meant that it was a contact you normally had on your phone, and it didn't know whether to link to the facebook match or not (?)

Upvote 0

Open the contact in 'people' and hit menu>edit>then click the picture (or where the pic would be if there isn't one), you should get the option to choose which picture to use for the contact, ie. facebook, google, twitter, etc

Since the update my battery usage is way off. I am draining the battery like never before. Funny, my wife and I have identical phones and hers is perfect after the update. Her battery life is much better. Why me?

Any suggestions?

If you can narrow down a certain app that is misbehaving then a uninstall - re-install should do the trick.

It is advisable to do a factory reset though after a major OS update

I have this same problem - only, it's for the majority of my facebook contacts, not just one or two. However, there ARE some that do have their picture - it really does seem random! The pic shows for some people that I have only in FB, for some it doesn't - and it shows for some that I have both in FB and other contacts (gmail, yahoo, etc), but then doesn't show for others.

I've tried the same fixes as you have, as well. I do notice that if I open the individual contact, on the right it has a broken Facebook link - but I was always under the impression that meant that it was a contact you normally had on your phone, and it didn't know whether to link to the facebook match or not (?)
see above
How did you get the SD card mounted? I cannot get mine to mount at all.

All i had to do is go to menu>settings>storage><scroll all the way down> click 'mount'

Haven't had any issues since then

Upvote 0
I have used GO SMS for my default text messager since I've had my Rezound. I like that it allows a different notification sound and much more customization for my contacts. But I have a big issue after I did the update last night. I can't get any of my contacts photos to show up. :(

So, I tried to use the stock messenger. The contact images show up but I don't see any way to customize the notifications individually.

I tried Handcent and there was similar problems pulling the images.

Typically, the images pull from Facebook images and they also attach to the individuals in my phone book so their photo pops up for caller ID.

I have noticed there appears to be 2 Facebooks on my phone. One I can find and one I only see when I try to upload pictures. Facebook for HTC sense. After the big download and reboot last night, I had a hard time connecting to Facebook and things erroring out.

Frustrating. Sorry this is so long winded, but if anyone has any tips, suggestions, etc. I will be ever grateful.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones