• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS General Impressions/Tips & Tricks

I have used GO SMS for my default text messager since I've had my Rezound. I like that it allows a different notification sound and much more customization for my contacts. But I have a big issue after I did the update last night. I can't get any of my contacts photos to show up. :(

So, I tried to use the stock messenger. The contact images show up but I don't see any way to customize the notifications individually.

I tried Handcent and there was similar problems pulling the images.

Typically, the images pull from Facebook images and they also attach to the individuals in my phone book so their photo pops up for caller ID.

I have noticed there appears to be 2 Facebooks on my phone. One I can find and one I only see when I try to upload pictures. Facebook for HTC sense. After the big download and reboot last night, I had a hard time connecting to Facebook and things erroring out.

Frustrating. Sorry this is so long winded, but if anyone has any tips, suggestions, etc. I will be ever grateful.

Thanks!

No experience with Facebook sorry.

I hate to say it again but a factory reset would make a WORLD of difference. Make sure contacts are backed up with google, go to Menu>settings>privacy>back up to google to get settings/etc to get backed up as well and wipe the phone out.

Trust me, you won't regret it

Upvote 0
try using chomp. it gives you the customization options, plus fb images are showing up for me. you do a one time import of the images with chomp. i had to switch from handcent because the most recent update lost not only pix but also the ability to lock the standard message app. so now i'm using chomp plus an app lock app to lock other stuff.

Upvote 0
Have you checked your awake time? Sounds like your phone is not sleeping.

Thanks, yes I did check that but no dice. I did the update while I was mobile maybe something went sideways in that. I did notice that my phone got pretty warm during the update process.

I have done a soft reset and checked all my settings. I'm charging to max then will see if this helps. I just don't want a factory reset unless it is necessary, I have so many personal settings and apps, however this will take the weekend to reestablish if I have to do the big reset.

Hope this soft reset helps but I'll report back.

Upvote 0
Open the contact in 'people' and hit menu>edit>then click the picture (or where the pic would be if there isn't one), you should get the option to choose which picture to use for the contact, ie. facebook, google, twitter, etc

Tried that too and still nothing. Any other ideas? If not no biggie. I can live with it, it's just one of those annoying things that bothers me. I've considered trying the factory reset but I hate to do it if it's not going to fix it.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone in this thread, I've learned a lot about the new ICS.

I do however have a few issues that may not be problems but lack of understanding on my part about the features of ICS. Any info would be seriously helpful.

- Email ... won't show in my mail folder unless I manually update it. I have my emails set up for 5min checks but so far nothing comes in unless I manually check.

- Power, you can't select power useage anymore ?

- The userbar at the bottom (phone,email,apps,etc...) are we able to remove this or alter it in anyway ?

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone in this thread, I've learned a lot about the new ICS.

I do however have a few issues that may not be problems but lack of understanding on my part about the features of ICS. Any info would be seriously helpful.

- Email ... won't show in my mail folder unless I manually update it. I have my emails set up for 5min checks but so far nothing comes in unless I manually check.

- I had 4g recently upgraded in my area but now my phone is 3g only, where can I look to see if 4g is turned off ?

- Power, you can't select power useage anymore ?

- The userbar at the bottom (phone,email,apps,etc...) are we able to remove this or alter it in anyway ?

Email - Go to Settings - Account and make sure Auto Sync is on (top right hand corner) and the account is setup to sync and tap into into it and make sure the email is ticked.

4G - Go to Settings and tap Mobile Network, then check the setting under Network Mode, it should be LTE/CDMA for 4G and CDMA Only for 3G

Power - Power Mode and Sleep Mode are gone, during early beta leaks they acted very "wonky", and were removed by HTC

Dock (userbar) - Just long press and drag what you want out of it and drag what you want back in or rearrange

Upvote 0
Email - Go to Settings - Account and make sure Auto Sync is on (top right hand corner) and the account is setup to sync and tap into into it and make sure the email is ticked.

4G - Go to Settings and tap Mobile Network, then check the setting under Network Mode, it should be LTE/CDMA for 4G and CDMA Only for 3G

Power - Power Mode and Sleep Mode are gone, during early beta leaks they acted very "wonky", and were removed by HTC

Dock (userbar) - Just long press and drag what you want out of it and drag what you want back in or rearrange

Thanks a lot... can't believe I didn't see the synch on/off toggle.

User bar... just wish I could add internet and remove the all apps icon or completely remove the userbar.

Upvote 0
No experience with Facebook sorry.

I hate to say it again but a factory reset would make a WORLD of difference. Make sure contacts are backed up with google, go to Menu>settings>privacy>back up to google to get settings/etc to get backed up as well and wipe the phone out.

Trust me, you won't regret it

NightAngel, do you know how exactly this backup works? When does it happen? I mean, does it backup immediately when I check the box and select an account? And if I do the factory reset, do I need to reinstall all my apps, and then do a restore?

Sorry for sounding like an ignoramous, but I figure that: 1) better to look foolish and ask, then be sorry later, and 2) others may have the same question.

Granted, I only recently switched to the Rezound, so if I had to, I could factory reset, reinstall things, and then set up all my apps manually, since I have most of my data backed up in some way. But if there's an automatic way to do it, well, I'll gladly do that.

Upvote 0
I ran across a problem for me and the ICS upgrade today while listening to my tunes. I've collected tunes for many years.. I do mean many. I was collecting wav files long before there was such a thing as mp3 compression. A lot of my files were ripped using VBR (variable bit rate). Though the new stock player looks the same there were changes that it now does not recognize a VBR mp3 as a playable file.
This likely isn't a large factor to many but it eliminates over 20K files from my play list.
My work around is to use winamp which easily plays my VBR mp3 files. If I could just make it my default player... I'll be happy enough with ICS.

Upvote 0
Tried that too and still nothing. Any other ideas? If not no biggie. I can live with it, it's just one of those annoying things that bothers me. I've considered trying the factory reset but I hate to do it if it's not going to fix it.

You're better off doing a factory reset really... i can't think of anything else to try

NightAngel, do you know how exactly this backup works? When does it happen? I mean, does it backup immediately when I check the box and select an account? And if I do the factory reset, do I need to reinstall all my apps, and then do a restore?

Sorry for sounding like an ignoramous, but I figure that: 1) better to look foolish and ask, then be sorry later, and 2) others may have the same question.

Granted, I only recently switched to the Rezound, so if I had to, I could factory reset, reinstall things, and then set up all my apps manually, since I have most of my data backed up in some way. But if there's an automatic way to do it, well, I'll gladly do that.

No harm in asking player. I really don't know. It states it will save phone settings, app data in the description but i haven't tried it yet. I keep putting off the factory reset even though I know it reall is practically required for everything to run at its best

I ran across a problem for me and the ICS upgrade today while listening to my tunes. I've collected tunes for many years.. I do mean many. I was collecting wav files long before there was such a thing as mp3 compression. A lot of my files were ripped using VBR (variable bit rate). Though the new stock player looks the same there were changes that it now does not recognize a VBR mp3 as a playable file.
This likely isn't a large factor to many but it eliminates over 20K files from my play list.
My work around is to use winamp which easily plays my VBR mp3 files. If I could just make it my default player... I'll be happy enough with ICS.

Can't you change it in Menu>settings>app associations? I thought i saw a music player option.....

wait, it says 'online audio download by webview' ??? no idea what that means... (maybe its just too late, its past my bedtime)

Upvote 0

My experience with the stock music player post ICS update was sketchy at best; would not play songs that previously worked (sorry I have no idea what types of files they were). Ended up doing a factory reset with sd wipe then re added all my music...all the songs work again!

Upvote 0
Can't you change it in Menu>settings>app associations? I thought i saw a music player option.....

wait, it says 'online audio download by webview' ??? no idea what that means... (maybe its just too late, its past my bedtime)

I've looked about and see no setting. I like winamp but it is a bit of a hog compared to the stock player. I'd far prefer to have it working but if not... I'd like assign winamp or another player default player status.

My experience with the stock music player post ICS update was sketchy at best; would not play songs that previously worked (sorry I have no idea what types of files they were). Ended up doing a factory reset with sd wipe then re added all my music...all the songs work again!

I might be forced to do a factory reset. If I knew for certain it would cure my music woes.. I'd be in the middle of it now.

Upvote 0
"Honey my phone is broken after they gave me ICS!!! I think it's time to upgrade to a new bigger and badder HTC phone!!"
Free tip to get instant approval ... try this... Settings - Developer Options - check/select "Show Screen updates". :)

"Honey my phone is so slow. I really need that new quad core phone!!"
Free tip.... Settings - Developer options
... Window animation scale ... set to 10X
... Transition animation scale ... set to 10X :D

Reactions: TheMortallyWounded
Upvote 0
I would just like to say FINALLY! We have ICS! Overall I like it. Seems to be smooth and has a lot more functions. I do have a few issues...One, and this has only happened twice, I get a icon that looks like a card with a ! next to it in the status bar. Then, I lose my signal. If I toggle airplane mode on/off, the signal comes back. Weird, never had that with GB. Second, it gets pretty hot (110-120) after browsing for about 10 minutes. The battery dies pretty quick too. I'm trying to NOT do a factory reset since everything else is working good. I've done a hard and soft reset, but still no change. Also, why if I have "don't sync contacts" checked in facebook, do I get a notification in the status bar about suggested contacts to link?!?! I don't want too! Quit suggesting! But, ICS is pretty cool.

Upvote 0
i kind of wish had my rezound right now... not because i dont enjoy my new phone droid incredible 4g... but because i would like to see how ICS is on the rezound and enjoy the same feelings you guys have... when i had the rezound i couldn't wait until ICS came out and now that its finally out i can only imagine your excitement... i wish i could share it with you... anyway have fun with ICS on your rezound

Upvote 0
I would just like to say FINALLY! We have ICS! Overall I like it. Seems to be smooth and has a lot more functions. I do have a few issues...One, and this has only happened twice, I get a icon that looks like a card with a ! next to it in the status bar. Then, I lose my signal. If I toggle airplane mode on/off, the signal comes back. Weird, never had that with GB. Second, it gets pretty hot (110-120) after browsing for about 10 minutes. The battery dies pretty quick too. I'm trying to NOT do a factory reset since everything else is working good. I've done a hard and soft reset, but still no change. Also, why if I have "don't sync contacts" checked in facebook, do I get a notification in the status bar about suggested contacts to link?!?! I don't want too! Quit suggesting! But, ICS is pretty cool.

Factory rest is practically mandatory IMO. That said I would give it a couple days to 'settle in' and see if it improves any

I loved the android smilies that are the same as the post icons on this board, but now they have been replaced with some stupid lemon head things. I hate every single one of those jackholes and want to stomp all of their stupid faces. Other than that, loving ICS.

LOL! Fair enough, I rather like them. Adds to the polished look/feel of ICS IMO

Upvote 0
Factory rest is practically mandatory IMO. That said I would give it a couple days to 'settle in' and see if it improves any
Unfortunately, I have to agree, although I still have no idea why. My rezound was draining battery like crazy when I first got ICS (though maybe it was because I was so excited to explore all the new/different stuff!), and it was getting laggy at times. Factory reset is a major pain in the ass, but it's absolutely worth it. It works like a charm now! :)

One thing I discovered was that you can go into google dashboard (google.com/dashboard) to retrieve apps if you didn't back them up. I didn't back up much in the way of settings, and my apps didn't download automatically. In google dashboard, there is a section for play store. From there, it shows paid and free apps, and you can click "install" to send them to your phone. Way easier than searching on play store, IMO.

Upvote 0
My ICS experience was brief. After not playing a great deal of my music library and eating battery like nobody's business I performed a factory reset tonight. I no more than started the setup process when I lost internet connection with an error stating I needed to insert my Sim card. Needless to say... I'll not be setting up the phone tonight.

Oddly enough, I bothered to look at my phone later and it was working. Must have been a glitch or the local tower was down. In any event... I'm up and running and a factory reset set things right.

Upvote 0
I'm running the .12 RUU now and for me it has been a bit snappier smoother running than the .10 leak. It may have helped that the phone was wiped and fully reset but it is more responsive than when I first installed .10. I haven't had any errors yet and I've been putting the phone through its paces for about 6 hours. I took a phone call for about 35 minutes on speaker and only dropped about 3% on battery. The previous leak would have dropped more in my experience. The sd card not auto loading problem that I had on the .10 leak seems to be gone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones