• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS General Impressions/Tips & Tricks

So is there a consensus as to whether or not you need to disable Facebook altogether to regain battery life, or can you just uninstall all updates?

As it stands now, I've disabled Facebook, Messenger, Facebook for HTC Sense, and anything else related to FB. It's still too early to tell about my battery life, but I really do want to have Facebook on here for numerous reasons, among them my photos for my contacts.

Any consensus?

Upvote 0
So is there a consensus as to whether or not you need to disable Facebook altogether to regain battery life, or can you just uninstall all updates?

As it stands now, I've disabled Facebook, Messenger, Facebook for HTC Sense, and anything else related to FB. It's still too early to tell about my battery life, but I really do want to have Facebook on here for numerous reasons, among them my photos for my contacts.

Any consensus?

Are you guys disabling Facebook completely (From the setting, apps, all apps, disable) screen or are you disabling the sync feature? I checked off the Facebook syncing just now via the sync feature (settings, accounts and sync, Facebook). My battery has been horrible since the update and I don't feel comfortable doing a factory reset. Just texting, making a couple calls, and browsing the web (limited use, only a little more than 1 hour of "on screen" time), and my battery is at 35% on default battery. I never remember my battery draining so fast before this update. WTF!

Upvote 0
The ICS update came as a surprise. I had just finished the week long task of a factory reset when I got the notification. The actual upgrade was poorly executed, but completed successfully even though my battery was half depleted.

I like the Roboto font a lot. The darker theme will probably reduce display power consumption, but might be harder to see in the sun. Everything feels faster. I notice fewer stutters, flutters, and pauses.

Face Unlock is nice. I've been using it since the update and I've found it gets better each time I calibrate it through the Security menu. I never locked my phone because I'm too lazy, but looking at the thing for a second or two is easy enough. Failing a match, the phone prompts me for my PIN.

One strange change I already hate is the behavior of the useless (and pink on my handset) back lights behind the capacitive buttons. Before the update, Screen Filter could turn them off, not now. I am thinking of rooting this phone merely to permanently disable them.

Connectivity is no different for me. This phone still is noticeably inferior to the DX in that regard.

The new version of Google Maps has the expected enhancements and the dreaded "We Google, you stupid user. We make program simpler, less convenient, and more difficult to use. You thank us." changes. Random display elements like the compass, the my location chevron, and waypoints disappear and inputs are frequently ignored in lieu of preprogrammed eye candy, for example.

Many Play apps look different. The phone still takes all day to boot. Battery life seems a little better, and this phone has always frequently been hotter than is reasonable. The volume slider no longer hijacks the phone.

I was pleased I was able to disable most of the animations, which I couldn't do before. Disabling the bloatware, of course, was cathartic. The LED still needlessly reports charging status, making it useless for notifications when plugged in.

The new menu layout is... well, Google wouldn't be Google if they didn't needlessly change things for the sole purpose of punishing veteran users for learning their phones. Reversing Okay and Cancel was just vindictive. Shameful.

Voice Search, which Google clearly doesn't want us to use because they allow manufacturers to sell half completed phones with no search button, seems more responsive.

The browser still asks to save login info before the subsequent page loads, so there is no way to know if I am saving the correct login info. The option to show passwods still does nothing.

So, in conclusion... it could be worse, I guess. Google has (NOT HAVE, companies are singular) sped up the computer, but negated that by further encumbering it with more unnecessarily roundabout UI paths and unfamiliar, illogical layouts.

I agree that the Eclair update for the Eris was more meaningful than this one.

Better than Gingerbread, but flawed in many ways.

NOTE: I tried for an hour to log in, but my password fell out of my head and the password reset protocol didn't work. This ain't my first rodeo.

Does anyone know how to enable the mobile version of this site?

Matt

Upvote 0
Newbie here. I don't have the option to send a text when I choose not to accept a call. Is this not an option in Sense 3.6? That's a nice feature and I'd like to use it, but I don't have the third option at the lock screen. I do have the option in settings but it looks like the old one since their is no custom option. No biggie, but am curious.

It's there. When you get a call, hit your menu button to ignore with text. Change your default reply in settings, calls, phone.

Upvote 0
Google maps has been super difficult for me, with the update. When I tried to use it for turn-by-turn instructions last weekend, I had to try multiple times until it got it right. It used to be SUPER simple, but this got to the point that I was about 5 seconds from putting the address into my old Garmin GPS and just using that, instead.

I've also noticed a line going across the top of every picture I take, now - not sure if that has anything to do with ICS or if my phone has developed a problem.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else experienced the white screen with green "HTC" logo coming up every time you close anything (apps, settings, menus, etc.)? I did not have any errors during the update but that screen comes up more often than not. It lasts ~5 seconds and then I am able to see my home screen. I've tried shutting down completely and restarting...no change. Any advice??

I am having the same problem. Anyone find a solution besides a factory reset?

I also lost a bunch of my ringtones when the ICS software was installed - not happy about that either.

Upvote 0
I been having issues with google maps. EVERY time I open it my phone re-boots. I think this has been happening since maps updated last week

anyone else?
More like everyone else... there is an issue with Maps 6.10.0 and the 3.14.605.12 firmware. Uninstall updates on the Maps application and if you want something newer than stock, side load 6.9.2 or use Waze.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
WY... this won't help you now, but perhaps someone yet to do the upgrade. I made copies of several files in the "sdcard" folder (which we all now know is not the actual SD card) and put them in a file on the "ext_sd" (which IS the actual SD card). I copied much of the "Android" folder (which has a lot of data including settings for a lot of the apps), some from the "data" folder, some from the "DCIM" folder and many of the folders created by the various apps that I use (where they store their own settings). After doing the upgrade, I then pasted those folders back into the "sdcard" make sure not to replace any files when I got the warning asking if I wanted to replace an existing file with the same name. Most of my apps preserved their settings or I was able to use the apps "restore settings" or "restore from backup". Saved a whole lotta rebuilding time.

Can you tell me how to do this?

Upvote 0

Easiest way for me is to USB to the computer in disk drive mode. I made a folder on the ext SD called (whatever you want) rezound saved and the date. I have two windows open... one the new folder and the other the SD card (phone memory). I drag and drop files from SD card to the make copies in the new folder on the extSD. Folders that were specific to downloaded apps, launcher pro (or other) backup folders, there are a bunch of downloaded app specific folders in Android/data, you might have camera pics in DCIM... that's most of what I copied. Then after doing the update (do the update twice and then do a factory reset) and going through the set-up process... I reversed... dragging and dropping the copied files back in their same folders on the SD card.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: srrieck
Upvote 0
Folders that were specific to downloaded apps, launcher pro (or other) backup folders, there are a bunch of downloaded app specific folders in Android/data, you might have camera pics in DCIM... that's most of what I copied.

I saw this and was curious if you are using Launcher Pro on ICS without any problems. When I upgraded LP would constantly crash so I switched to Apex Launcher which is good but I miss Launcher Pro.

Upvote 0

BTW, just for general information, I always do this process to allow myself to have as complete a copy of my files as possible. This has saved me hours of agony when I screw-up some experiment with the phone. Having a complete copy of the phone folders is great insurance for when some update etc. messes things. Also when I get things tweaked this helps me to keep it that way.

Having two windows open and using the phone as a disk drive is the easiest way to do almost everything.

Upvote 0
I saw this and was curious if you are using Launcher Pro on ICS without any problems. When I upgraded LP would constantly crash so I switched to Apex Launcher which is good but I miss Launcher Pro.

working great so far. no problems. in fact, perhaps smoother than past LP experiences pre-ICS (on original Inc and original Razr).

Upvote 0
Hmm, I've been away from the Rezound forums for awhile, tinkering with my Nexus 7.

I'm still on Gingerbread, I'm rooted with Amon Ra recovery and Scotts CleanROM 1.7 GBE, so I'll never get an OTA on it.

I'm standing pat. Everything works, and reading some of the headaches and heartaches makes me glad I went this route.

Jellybean on the Nexus 7 is a sweet deal, probably going to stay rooted/stock on that and just keep my CWM recovery. I can flash the stock recovery pretty easily to get OTA if I want, but on the latest 4.1.1 now.

I do have custom kernal that gives me some tweaks and the thing runs like "butter" with stock ROM for me, so no reason for custom ROM. Did try a couple, went back to stock because they weren't better, just different. And some are far worse in some areas.

Upvote 0
Not having either of this problems... I did nothing special and both phone/dialer icon are where expected and SD card mounts with no problems.

A few things of note:

Contact links... gone (had to relink, done automatically except a few)
Facebook settings... gone (had to disable notifications and relogin)
Power Profile (High Performance, Standard, Economy)... gone
Sleep Profiles... gone
Camera save directory... back to default
CDMA/LTE set back to default (I had it set to CDMA only)

Just a few things I have seen in poking around for a couple minutes. More to come as I find them.

My biggest beef so far is with the Sleep Profiles being gone and not being able to separate the ringtone volume and notification volumes - especially at night. An absolutely stupid decision by the Android/Google programmers....most people want to be able to sleep knowing their phone will ring if there's an emergency or whatever, while not being woken (sp?) up every time a message comes in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones