• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ICS] Kingdom FastKernel V5 (8/28/2012

2fast4u88

Android Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
FastKernel V5
By: 2Fast4u88
Brought to you by :Team Invictus (2FastRoms)
(2Fast4u88, Grad, BMaae4, CookieFrog)

Screenshot_2012-08-10-04-11-23.png
Screenshot_2012-08-10-04-16-27.png

Screenshot_2012-08-10-04-18-53.png
Screenshot_2012-08-10-04-27-16.png

WARNING MYSELF AND/OR TEAM INVICTUS MEMBERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR PHONE THAT ARE A RESULT OF USING THIS KERNEL, FLASHING ANYTHING TO YOUR DEVICE OR DAMAGE DONE TO HARDWARE DUE TO OVER-CLOCKING, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....

Features:​
Boost 1.05.653.3 kernel source
Patched to 3.0.30 (Mdeejay)
Overclock to 2.01 ghz and overclocked on boot/os to 1.4ghz at default
(Warning is to be taken on 1.4Ghz or above as it uses increased voltages over stock. Do not run performance 24/7. Clocks should be safe as long as you watch your temps)
Undervolted from 1.3ghz and below under stock
Undervolted Sd slot voltage for better battery life
Undervolted Wimax for more battery life (May decrease signal, Issues need reported)
Undervolted Wifi for more battery life (May decrease signal, Issues need reported)
Disabled notification led timeout (More like aosp and no longer turns off after 5 mins)
Lowered Camera Flash/Flashlight shut off to 5% battery from 15%
Added Cpu Governors and Enabled Powersave which includes the following:​
Ondemand
Interactive
Conservative
Userspace
Powersave
Performance
Interactive
Smartass
Smartass V2
Scary
LagFree
See below for more info

Wifi Pm set to fast in standby (So bandwidth doesn't go to a crawl streaming music or such)
Tiny Preempt Rcu
Switched from slab to slub allocator
Added vdd interface (See Below)
Disabled most debugging code to increase smoothness
Cfs latency & granularity change for speed/smoothness
Increased VM_MAX_READAHEAD to 1024 for performance
Disabled Gentle_Fair_Sleepers to better suit android
Fixed deadlock when system is low on memory
Refer to changelog for more details/additions

Downloads:
If you have issues with latest, please try a older version before reporting issues.
Warning before downloading verify the version is the latest via the following link: http://2fastroms.com/showthread.php?5366-ICS-Kingdom-FastKernel-V5-(8-28-2012) Updates will be posted on the home site first where here will follow sometime after.

Latest Version

Kingdom FastKernel V5 Zip:
Kingdom_Fastkernel-Ics_V5 - Downloads - 2FastRoms
md5sum: 34a6a2cb8e9eb3dde64658ebbb78aecf

Older Versions
Kingdom FastKernel V4 Zip:
Kingdom_Fastkernel-Ics_V4 - Downloads - 2FastRoms
md5sum: 2863ec1cfd14ab99192bc25d16226fd1
md5sum: 41969abfe83997efd7a30c239a85b208

How to Flash:
You need to be unlocked with a recovery (Only Clockworkmod is Verified) before proceeding!!!
Step 1: Flashing the Kernel

Download the kernel zip linked above, place it on your sd card via mount usb storage. After done browse and select to install the zip you just placed on the card. Once installed reboot and verify the kernel took.
Hit Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Info>More
It should list Fastkernel, If so install a cpu tweak app - Setcpu works fine for me.

ChangLog:
8/28/12 Redid source code from scratch. Possibly fixed up lagging issues cause by htc (Gpu Rendering should be a little better), Fixed up Voltages, Added Smartass, Smartassv2, Scary, and LagFree Governors, Tuned added governors. Enabled vdd, Tiny rcu, and Cifs. Switched to noop scheduler. Added sio scheduler. Locked clock to boot at 1.4ghz to reduce boot issues. introduce some memory copy macros and functions. Fix deadlock when system is low on memory. Don't try to kill the same pid over and over lowmemorykiller. Use the git implementation of SHA-1. Added optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm. Add dynamic writeback feature from 3.1. Added optimized CRC32 algorithm. Sched: don't call task_group() many times in set_task_rq(). Remove ARM sha1 routines. Init:calibrate: lpj from 3.4. sched/rt: code cleanup, remove a redundant function call. Nohz: Remove ts->inidle checks before restarting the tick.

Source Code can be found HERE

Additional Credits Refer to the above Github link

Reactions: patsfann
So, what's a governor?
Consider a CPU, the processor of HeroS/Design 4g. Well, this CPU operates at different frequencies (Stock is: 245, 368, 768, 806, 1200 Mhz) and we usually
say it's a 1.2 Ghz (12000 Mhz) processor because that's the max frequency it was designed for.Now, a governor is a CPUFreq driver. Like the name suggests, it is what
decides when to be on full speed at max frequency or when to be at min or mid and how fast should it reach the max/min, should it be almost instant and provide a good smoothness overall? Should it take longer and scale up 100Mhz at a time based on load and preserve battery? This is practically what a governor does, each one will change all the above hows and shoulds.

Ondemand:
Ondemand is the default choice due to its balanced settings which offers a good compromise between battery and performance. However, it has no suspend/sleep profiles. It falls a bit short on battery life as you will find it nearly ramping to the highest clock when doing very little. It is also a bit lacking in performance compared to say the performance governor.

Powersave:
Powersave sets the max frequency at the same clock as the min frequency. I would not recommend to use as a daily governor due to making the phone crawl at the min frequency. Recommend use would be with SetCPU screen-off profiles in combo with Ondemand.

Conservative:
Conservative is a slower Ondemand when it comes to ramping. For example, when you turn on the phone and start interacting with it, Ondemand will increase frequency until it reaches max at x speed. Conservative will do the same at x/2. Faster the ramping the more battery it consumes so conservative while a worse governor for performance it's also a good one for battery as it tends to stay at the lower clocks more.

Performance:
Like the Powersave governor forcing the lowest clock, this one forces the max clock. It sets the min frequency the same as max frequency so the phone is always at max speed and power consumption. This is usually used with SetCPU profiles for when charging or plugged to computer. If overclocking I would watch using this governor, temp may raise to high causing damage. I wouldn't recommend this for a daily governor as battery life will just suck.

Interactive:
While Conservative is a slower Ondemand, Interactive is a faster one. Ramping will be practically instant, so interaction will seem more snappy with battery comsumption will be similar to Ondemand.

Smartass:
This one has been increasingly popular and favorite among most people. Smartass is based on Interactive but with some modifications, as well as built-in profiles. Recently, Erasmux released a v2 of the popular governor to replace this one, as it tends to have some issues. How ever it doesn't mean this on is bad either. It will ramp up to at least 806 mhz and based on load ramp up in 192mhz steps. It use a sleep profile with 245mhz as the max clock to be easier on battery.

SmartassV2:
Is just like the above smartass, but rewritten to better suit newer devices. This uses a min ramp up of 806mhz and will ramp up slower as well based on load in 128mhz steps. It also uses a ramp down in 256mhz steps when load drops below 25%. It uses a sleep profile of 184mhz as the ideal clock, though can ramp up if need be.

Scary:
This is just a weird governor. It's based on Conservative which has a slower ramping than Ondemand with Smartass elements. It uses a sleep max of 245 and a sleep min of 184mhz.

LagFree:
Similar to Smartass but based on Conservative rather than Interactive, instantly jumps to a certain CPU frequency after the device wakes, then operates similar to Conservative. However, it can be pretty slow and ramping down. It uses a min awake frequency of 806 with a sleep off profile at 245mhz max.

Vdd Interface How-To
***All mv changes must be done in 25mv incements***

To display your current voltages:
Code:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
To increase all clock voltages to possibly gain stability:
Code:
echo "+25" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
The above will increase voltages by 25mv's, You can use 50,100 etc.

To decrease all clock voltages to possibly gain better battery life:
Code:
echo "-25" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
The above will decrease voltages by 25mv's, You can use 50,100 etc.

If you would like to change just one clock's voltage:
Code:
echo "1113600 1050" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_level
The above would decrease/increase the 1113mhz clock to 1050. You need to run the display current voltage command to find your true clock, replacing 1113600. If you would like to set a different voltage you would replace 1050 with what ever you like in 25mv increments.

Now the above commands are only good for your current session. If you reboot the phone or have a reboot, everything will revert to defaults. If you have found settings that are stable for you. Then you can make a init.d script similar to shown.
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo "-25" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_levels
or
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo "1113600 1050" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/vdd_level

Upvote 0
Having Issues?
This section will be updated via common questions.

• I can't get the kernel to flash and prompted by the below warning
Code:
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/newboot.img", "boot") 
 E: Error in /sdcard/Kingdom_Fastkernel-Ics_V4.zip
 (Status 7)
 Installation aborted
You are likely trying to flash on a stock rom/boot.img. I will not work and you need to flash my rom or another custom one. That or fastboot the boot.img out of my rom thread, Instructions are in the thread to do so.

• How do I overclock/underclock?
You can do so via setcpu or several other apps on the market. Find one that works best for you.

• I keep having reboot issues/freezing what do I do?
First make sure it isn't the overclock settings you are running. As is the kernel should be stable. But raising the overclock you may get issues. If it still happens try bumping the voltages by 25/50mv's using the vdd guide above. If the issue still happens report what you have tried. Also confirm it is the latest kernel version with the issue and not a older one by flashing a older version.

• I would like to have a feature added that isn't what can I do?
You can post requesting it with any info that may help me out not knowing what you are talking about. It will go through testing where it will then be released if found usable.

• Will you help me build your source or stock source?
I will try to answer questions about my source in the thread. How ever keep in mind it isn't a building source thread. So if it gets unanswered then you will have to deal with ir or pm me. As for building the stock source, no I won't. It is easy to build and there is guides out there. So the best thing you can do is search, if you get stuck with something you can pm me. Keep in mind if it is something like I downloaded the source now what? I will totally ignore it.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to give some feed back. This Kernal is awsome!! Great job everyone involved in it. IMO this plus a program like setcpu is a must have for any rooted phone! I have running on 2 phones and works great, altho does seam worst battry at stock 1.4ghz, but alot faster! and with at 1800 with a .7 amp charger if your using it will hardly charge lol but its great!

Upvote 0
Battery life shouldn't be worse even at 1.4ghz, though 1.4 isn't stock clocks it is 1.2ghz max is stock. I set it to boot at 1.4 for a decrease in boot times and it should be stable. It also should net better life then the stock kernel. How ever that is if you don't use ondemand as it constantly runs the max clock when under load. I personally use smartassv2 at 1.8 ghz. Where smartass and a few others is set to ramp to 806mhz and if load is heavy it will slowly ramp up to what ever is the max clock based on how heavy the load is.

Reactions: patsfann
Upvote 0
Hi there... Just a quick question... I see it says that WiMAX is undervolted n therefore the signal would be weaker. So if we were to up the volts that would give us better signal strength? If so is that safe to do (obviously not to up it up to the point of getting electrocuted when using 4g lol).

Upvote 0
... I see it says that WiMAX is undervolted n therefore the signal would be weaker. So if we were to up the volts that would give us better signal strength? If so is that safe to do (obviously not to up it up to the point of getting electrocuted when using 4g lol).

Similar question here (also posted @ 2fastroms, but I suspect it is more likely to be seen here).
I'm brand new at this, but from what I've read, it appears that the wimax and wifi undervolt settings are baked into the kernel and not end-user modifiable.
Is that correct?
If yes, can anyone recommend a kernel that is not undervolting the radios, but has cpu governors?
If no, can anyone point me to instructions on how to reset the radio voltages to stock, as I've spent hours searching and haven't found anything.

I am on Boost and running the V5 kernel with Kingdom_xFuZiiOnZz-4.3.2.
I like it, but the wimax and wifi signal strengths appear have suffered from the stock kernel. I'm looking for a solution to restore the signal strengths.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Similar question here (also posted @ 2fastroms, but I suspect it is more likely to be seen here).
I'm brand new at this, but from what I've read, it appears that the wimax and wifi undervolt settings are baked into the kernel and not end-user modifiable.
Is that correct?
If yes, can anyone recommend a kernel that is not undervolting the radios, but has cpu governors?
If no, can anyone point me to instructions on how to reset the radio voltages to stock, as I've spent hours searching and haven't found anything.

I am on Boost and running the V5 kernel with Kingdom_xFuZiiOnZz-4.3.2.
I like it, but the wimax and wifi signal strengths appear have suffered from the stock kernel. I'm looking for a solution to restore the signal strengths.

Thanks in advance!

These are compiled into the kernel. So many kernels have come out I am unsure if he ever made a version of the ICS kingdom kernel that did not already have this done, as he began implementing this feature back in the last GB kernels he.made. Maybe some of the first ones might, but it might just have overclocking but still the stock governors. As I recall it was test version 8 that included the added governors and release version 5 that also had them.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rjcress
Upvote 0
Thanks for confirming this.
Anyone have a suggestion on a downloadable kernel that has cpu governors and radios set to full voltage?

Your beat bet would be to PM 2fast at his site www.2fastroms.com and hope he remmembers what changes each kernel has as I mentioned there have been close to 10 ICS kernels compiled many of which never saw a release....

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Forgive me if this has been answered already... im new to flashing kernels by themselves.

But to switch back to stock (just in case) - is there a stock kernel zip somewhere? or should i just keep an extra backup of the stock rom with stock kernel?

and which version is smoothest/least buggy? I would assume V5, but I thought I may as well ask..

also, i saw something towards the top of the thread that says this won't flash well on stock..is this true? stock is still my daily since the custom ones out aren't stable enough for me yet..

Upvote 0
What roms isn't stable for you? This is built around my rom where it should have no issues but the browser lag which is the browser in your guys first firmware then the voice search which is fixed pushing pretty much any to the phone. As for less buggy they should be about the same smoothness wise, how ever I recommend the latest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones