• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Notifications sounds issue

I have many of the same issues after upgrading to ics plus a 12 hour battery life, lock ups when trying to answer calls. I disagree that this is an att issue, phone was perfect before the upgrade.
Anyway to refert back to my old os?

the reason we are thinking this is at&t is because the upgrade to ics had to pass through at&t to "ok" it before it was released, my ics looks nothing like a t-mobile ics or even the nexus who came with ics.

Upvote 0
The reason why ICS looks different on this phone is because it has Samsung's TouchWiz Launcher which is done by Samsung not at&t.

Also when it comes to firmware it's Samsung that has to bake it and at&t that has to approve it. At&t's approval process is notoriously long..... Also Samsung has to bake a special firmware for at&t because at&t requires special changes to their branded phones which is mostly system and not UI.

Upvote 0
Okay, here's my notification story.

I use RingoPro to manage my text notification, which means I set the default sound to "Silent", otherwise I get double notifications. But after a while, (haven't pinned down and exact event), my "Silent" setting gets changed back to "Default" in Android and the double notifications begin again. I've been using Ringo for a couple of years now, but it sounds like this is a base problem, not a Ringo problem. Something keeps changing my Android level notification back to Default.

Upvote 0
Hey. Is anyone who is experiencing problems with notifications using a call/SMS blocker or manager app? I was using an app called Mr. number that would override my notification settings. No matter how I set the chime and volume on my phone, it would only vibrate because the Mr. number app was overriding the settings. I deleted the app, and so far, everything is working normally. Check for any supplemental SMS apps you might be using in the background.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
I've done a few factory resets after installing ICS and this issue persists even through a factory reset. I'm pretty close to the original with just a few app installations. No blockers or managers here.

Yeah. Disregard my previous comment. After I uninstalled the call blocker software, my SMS notification worked ONE time. Now it's totally silent. This is really a BORKED situation!

Upvote 0
The ICS upgrade was garbage and should have NEVER been sent out so fast without being thoroughly checked IMO. I HATE MY PHONE now. Used to LOVE it. I am going to call AT&T first thing Monday morning and tell them that because of this garbage upgrade, it made my contract null and void because this phone is NOT the one that I purchased therefore, I will get out of my contract and buy another phone.....from someone else. NOT HAPPY!!

Upvote 0
Let us know how that works out for you!
I noticed that though there is not sound, the screen lights up upon getting a notification. When that happens (takes a couple of days for me), I just use the restart option in the phone. It is indeed annoying, but this workaround has been working for me so far (until they update this issue...). By the way, I did a factory reset (this only helped on the battery life problem, not the sound issue)

Upvote 0
It could be a coincidence - but I'm noticing the issue arising after play audio through the phone (namely Pandora or SiriusXM). Once I stream audio on these apps, the notification sounds stop.

Anyone else experiencing this?

For me it's no one specific sound event that kills my audio. I tried SiriusXM and my notifications did not stop. However I left my phone idle for about an hour and tried it again. At some point while my phone was idle my Audio and Vibration for notifications stopped.

Also just so everyone knows audio for everything else still works. I can watch a video and hear the audio or listen to internet radio but for some reason the phone stops playing notification sounds and vibrating at will and yes the notification volume is maxed out.

I think all the at&t GSIIs with ICS has this issue but for some reason it happens more frequently for me. I have another at&t GSIIs with ICS on my account and it has this issue but it takes 2 to 3 days before audio and vibration for notifications stop. Mine sometimes will happen within a hour or up to 12 before it stops.

Upvote 0
For me it's no one specific sound event that kills my audio. I tried SiriusXM and my notifications did not stop. However I left my phone idle for about an hour and tried it again. At some point while my phone was idle my Audio and Vibration for notifications stopped.

Also just so everyone knows audio for everything else still works. I can watch a video and hear the audio or listen to internet radio but for some reason the phone stops playing notification sounds and vibrating at will and yes the notification volume is maxed out.

I think all the at&t GSIIs with ICS has this issue but for some reason it happens more frequently for me. I have another at&t GSIIs with ICS on my account and it has this issue but it takes 2 to 3 days before audio and vibration for notifications stop. Mine sometimes will happen within a hour or up to 12 before it stops.

Mine is behaving the same way as yours (or at least today it is). No audio from apps and suddenly notifications cease. I hope AT&T or Samsung come out w/ a patch ASAP.

Upvote 0
Here's the deal...I called AT&T again about this to let them know this is simply unacceptable.

The first time I called, the lady from AT&T initially didn't know anything about issue. But then, she talked to the technical support and told me they know about this issue and that there is nothing AT&T can do about it since Samsung messed up the update. There was absolutely no talk about any sort of a software fix for this, she just said that Samsung will send me a new phone and then she transfered me to them. Well, the stupid Samsung customer support dropped me before I even got to talk to anyone.

So, I called AT&T again, this customer service representative also knew nothing about this issuse, and I asked him to forward me to an actual person from Samsung and not make me go through the menus again. Finally, I spoke to a person from Samsung, and she (Jacqueline) wanted me basically do factory reset. I refused to do it since I read here that it doesn't fix the issue. I told her to file a report about this issue and hung up. She wasn't willing to do anything before I did all their "genius" troubleshooting things.

I called AT&T to tell them about this, and it basically comes down to me getting a replacement phone either sent to me or I'll get it at the store. The obvious issue is that this simply may not do ANY GOOD if my new phone also has the same problem, and it now comes with ICS. Who knows if then even have this S2, maybe they now only have that skyrocket (i don't want it).

The bottom line here is that at least some of them know about this issue, but there is absolutely no talk about the fix. They have pretty much bricked our phones...Start calling them people, both AT&T & Samsung.

Upvote 0
My carrier is Sprint, and I stupidly updated to ICS yesterday morning and it has been HELL since. The latest is that my phone doesn't alert me on messages or calls, it was earlier but not now. I called Sprint earlier and she informed me that they have been experiencing a high volume of complaints about the ICS update but that I can take it into a sprint store and they can reverse the update back to GB. I'm not sure, and won't know til I take it in the morning.

I don't feel that I should be punished for the error of Samsung, and this needs to be replaced!

Another option is to root and flash your phone so that you can go back to GB. I'm not sure about rooting and or all it entails.

One last thing, the Sprint CS rep told me that even with a factory reset, ICS stays on the phone and begins to appear once settings start to establish themself so if you notice it's still acting stupid after a reset, that's why.

ANNNNOYED!

Upvote 0
This is a Samsung Kies update issue all the way folks. AT&T can help you fix it. If you updated via Kies, that is a web-based update and some of the data is not loaded "safely." I also had an issue with the messaging app freezing up, sometimes rebooting, etc. AT&T said that is derived from how Kies reloads the messages onto the phone via the update.

To fix, AT&T would have to do a factory data reset and reload the ICS safely. This has corrected the issue for me. Doing a data wipe every year always helps your little handheld computer work a lot more smoother anyway!

Reactions: dragula2012
Upvote 0
i have been facing this problem after upgrading to ics with my sony xperia u and also my sister faces the problem with xperia sola. i think this is ics messing with our heads! this is very unacceptable. i hope android does something to solve this issue.

Hello haqnik.

Please be aware that this area of Android Forums is discussion about the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 and is a very different phone from the Sony Xperia line. You might want to check in at Sony Xperia sola - Android Forums to see if Sony's implementation of ICS is seeing the same issues as the SGS2.

Upvote 0
I found this thread because my phone has a similar problem since ICS: The sms notification reverts to default ("cloud") after a few hours or after a reset, and "vibration" gets checked, no matter how many times I uncheck it.

For informational purposes, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4g, with T-mobile, so it's not just an AT&T issue or SGS2 thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones