Ics or GBGeneral

Last Updated:

1. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Well-Known Member

So with all theis ICS locked bootloader hoolpah, it makes me curious. Is there anybody besides myself who has passed on the update?

Advertisement
  2. likenokevin

likenokevin Active Member

I have bypassed for now but I'm running the leak. My wife took the update and she is happy with it so far.
  3. Brandonson112

Brandonson112 Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting on Neph and Death2all110 to release their ICS with the unlocked bootloader.
  4. hollywoods14

thats kind of where i am too. I am considering doing the update tonight anyways. Im leacing sat am for a week vacation, ICS will give me something fun to play with while im gone. The only issue will be no computer if i need it.
  5. blueracer90

blueracer90 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Neph and PlayfulGod are making a script to unlock the bootloader on the official update. You will need to take the update and then run the script to unlock your bootloader. I don't know if they are going to make a ROM with the bootloader unlocked.
  6. Nokoko

Nokoko Well-Known Member

I'm still on the leak, waiting to see how well the official version works for people and/or how quickly the devs figure out the bootlocking stuff, which sounds like is happening pretty soon! Still debating whether or not to go ahead and update, since it sounds like we will need it for what the devs are working on anyway...
  7. Lykarsis

Lykarsis Well-Known Member Contributor

I can tell you that I absolutely love the official ICS. It's smooth and fast and once you're rooted and freeze all of the bloatware that you can't just disable, it's great. The only reason I would want to load a custom ROM is when the devs get CM10 working, or some other JB based ROM, otherwise, i'll stick with stock.
  8. ortrigger

ortrigger Well-Known Member Contributor

Do it. It's smoother than the leak and we will have a script to unlock the bootloader soon.
  9. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Ics. In all honesty, until cm9 is sorted, I'm VERY happy with v7. If lg released this phone with this instead of gb, I would have never had a complaint.
  10. PhoenixPath

PhoenixPath Well-Known Member

ICS or GB....sheesh.

You, your ancestors, and your descendants should be slapped for that. :p

Seriously though, it looks like they have the bootloader fixed (soon?) and root already, so there's no reason not to.

JUS DOO EET! (factory reset after the upgrade, let it sit for 10 minutes, install a *real* launcher (apex/nova) and reboot. Alles Gut!
  11. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

You will want/need to take the ICS update. The ICS update contains new radio files which greatly improve your signal strength. We have the boot loader unlocked and D2A is writing a script for it. He got called in to work tonight, so it may be a little bit. If anyone knows bash scripting that includes checking for md5 sums matching up, we could always use the help/advice.
  12. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Yea I haven't even remembered to mention the better reception. But seriously, this update really made me happy to have my phone working like it should.
  13. azoller1

azoller1 Well-Known Member Contributor

Do you guys recommend to factory reset after you take the update? Cause I haven't yet
  14. reeseboy

reeseboy Well-Known Member

I'm still on GB. I really want to step over, but I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data and need tether to work so I'm waiting to see that confirmed before I jump... Looks yummy tho.
  15. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

It can't hurt, but if you push it to your phone, it's not necessary.
  16. hollywoods14

Broke down and updated...loving it so far. Initial sd card scan took a while as every one is reporting, after that super smooth sailing.
    brianmaedche likes this.
  17. Nokoko

Nokoko Well-Known Member

I did it:D Used the V6 restore and then updated using the LG tool online and rooted using Playful Gods one click. Everything went smoothly, have restored most of my apps+ data and disabled a bunch, so far so good! It's definitely faster and smoother than the leak was, signals are stronger and connect faster... Certainly not regretting it yet!
  18. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

If this is smoother than the leak, I am glad I did not flash the leak. I think stock GB was smoother, although slower.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I can't wait for aokp.
  19. WuTangFan09

WuTangFan09 Member

I'm really liking how smooth ICS is running. Battery life seems to have about doubled and reception seems better as well. Cant wait for the fellas to mainstream the unlocked bootloader.:D
  20. Nokoko

Nokoko Well-Known Member

The leak was better than stock GB, but not as smooth or fast as BO or Plague. This is a huge improvement over all those IMO. I haven't had any of the lag/swype/home button/charging issues that others have reported and really like the improved graphics.
  21. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Active Member

It seems as though there are tons of bugs with applying ICS over GB without doing a factory reset, either before or after the update. I'm still not clear as to whether or not doing a factory reset clears up most of the bugs or not.

This reminds me of the Win95 to Win98 days. It was always best to wipe clean back then.
  22. reeseboy

The good ol' days lol...
  23. blueracer90

blueracer90 Well-Known Member

You can USB tether over PDAnet 3.50. It loads pages really quickly for me on 4G
  24. reeseboy

I saw something about secure sites being limited in the free version. What is the price on it?
  25. reeseboy

well my phone tried the ota update lastnight, and repeatedly today so I gave up and restored to stock then updated. ICS is definitely nice, but I can't wait for a product from our talented dev's. They've definitely done a great job in moving toward custom roms this past week...