Ics port for the og droid

Last Updated:

1. EManU3LXX

EManU3LXX Well-Known Member

Kfazz has created a great working ICS port for the Orgiginal Droid! :)

...Might have other bugs.

Works amazingly well for a phone like the droid

2. EManU3LXX

3. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member

Second link is for milestone not Droid. Different radios. Wont work on droid.
  4. EManU3LXX

I've tested it and it worked quite well... Look on xda some more yourself and you'll find other people who had good results
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides

Old news:

That post contains the original thread's link to xda that the OP left out here. Companion thread over at droidforums.net:

[ROM] ICS pre pre pre pre pre pre pre pre pre pre Alpha

Also, I'm going to ask this be moved to the rom section, or merged with the other thread I linked the one post from.

I have been carefully following this project since day one and there's a few bad things going on with it; suffice it to say the it is not a daily driver IMHO.

All the builds have broken camera, not that big of a deal for DD status, but all builds have at the very least a problem with audio during a phone call; where you might hear the other person, but they can't hear you. There is a fix, but then after a phone call your phone is put into Airplane mode and won't come out until a reboot.

Some builds in that thread drop data or don't have it at, some have broken WiFi, some won't boot, and some have no audio at all.

Want to know which one is which? Read the original thread at xda.

kfazz started it, and got it about as good as it could get, twistedumbrella picked up the torch and tried to get it to build from scratch, cush2push over at DF and twistedumbrella were working on it, somebody came over and totally dissed twisted @ xda so since he had other builds that weren't such a PITA, he said "screw this, I'm out", and just last night somebody (I won't remember his name until he does something) came along and said he'd like to help, but tomorrows email digest will tell more about that one. cush2push has said he is still trying but having massive sytem failures as well.

Any more info needed? Read the whole original threads.

good luck
    EManU3LXX likes this.
  6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Thread moved to the ROM section for you guys :).

Thanks for the heads-up!

Good luck and cheers!
  7. EManU3LXX

I don't know much about actually making custom roms, but to make this work, couldn't you use a Gingerbread base, but theme certain things to make it close, if not exact to ICS?.. Don't mean to bring back ghosts
  8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

because that would then be a GB Theme (or, more accurately, an ICS them for GB), not an ICS ROM. The distinction is in the naming convention.

A Theme applies custom modifications to a ROM.

The ROM itself is a completely redone /system, which means that a good portion of the system components are upgraded with newer components that match a newer version of Android.

I'm on a BIONIC now, and I'm running the CM9 Self Kang ICS port of CM9 for the BIONIC - it feels, works, acts, etc. very very different from GB. It's not just about looks - apps names have changed, functionality of apps has changed, etc. It's really a different beast - I'd say about as different as moving from XP to 7. With many of the same benefits....
    EManU3LXX likes this.
  9. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member

This is truly awesome to see. I retired my and the wife's droids a long time ago, but still use it as an MP3 player from time to time, or when my current phone is creating a nandroid. Will definitely have to flash this and check it out. This phone will never die!
  10. EManU3LXX

:) I use mine for the same, and since I use google voice, it doubles as a texting replacement sometimes! I love it!
  11. ironmask

ironmask Well-Known Member

Cool, the first Droid still gets some new action! :D
    EManU3LXX likes this.
  12. teddyearp

Now of late there has been a tiny bit more progress, kfazz released a 6/20 build with working data, wifi, in call audio, but camera FC'd. Then he released a 6/23 build where the camera wouldn't FC, but it also wouldn't actually save the pictures. You would think it took a picture, but when you tried to view it it would be just black; then when you looked at the file with your file browser, it would be 0 bytes long.

From my very infantile knowledge of Android, the hardest part is that ICS uses a 3.x.x kernel with related library files to interact with the hardware and our A855 will not work with that kernel/library files. So (I assume this is what's going on) you can repo sync ICS, but then have to try and patch in the GB (same as Froyo kernel source and get through all the failures to compile it and the library files to properly interact with our hardware. I think.
  13. ironmask

Anyways this still sounds like a nice break through for those of us still pimping the original Droid... I still love mine and plan on using it until it breaks! I haven't seen the reason to really switch to another Andoid phone when this one seems to work just fine... I love that it's so customizable and most of the more popular ROMs work damn near flawlessly since there has been so much dev from the time they got root, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing this ICS CM9 work almost flawlessly as well.. I won't hold my breath.. but I think anything is possible if there is someone willing to go the extra mile for this classic Android device.. The way I look at it, this was the first Android phone out on the market by Google and now they actually own Motorola Mobile (correct me if I am wrong). I think there is alot of great things about this phone and it is such a cool conversation piece for us geeks! :D That being said, I am switching my original Droid to nTelos carrier today and am definitely going to go play with this ROM some in my spare time. I have already been using a 1233mhz overclockable kernel on it and it seems to run just fine on it with CM7.2 stable.. now I want to go check this out later on today.

Thanks for all your hard work devs... you guys and gals are just simply amazing!!!
  14. teddyearp

My sentiments exactly. I almost got the Gnex, but then I stood back and looked at the complaints and realized that my Droid 1 still works just fine. I have babied the heck out of it, so nothing is broke on it. And besides, brutha is broke these days!

But the Droid 1 was not the first Android phone by far, but it was the most important as it definately put android on the map and better made it a much more major player. When I first got my Droid, people were like Huh? Now everyone I see is carrying an android phone.
  15. ironmask

So anything new about improvements with ics working 100% or we still in the same boat? Just curious ..I still love my cm7.2
  16. teddyearp

Well if you go to kfazz's xda thread there has been some progress made. His 0703 build is _almost_ a daily driver. I say almost because I did drive it for a couple of days. But it started to lag very badly and had terrible battery life. And then no amount of V6 would make it stay 'non-laggy' even though it would have a immediate boost, but wouldn't stay the course. However, just about everything works. Speakerphone doesn't work and I _think_ BT is still screwed (I didn't test it) as is taking a video.

kfazz's reply was that too many gapps were taking up too many resources and suggested we flashed the rom pretty much without the gapps which I have yet to test. But he's still working on it.
  17. johnlgalt

That actually makes sense. GApps take up a lot of room, but also RAM when you have a lot of things synchronizing.

I may try this out this weekend, anyway....
  18. teddyearp

Yes and it has made me go ahead and set up a sd-ext FAT32 partition and use/install link2sd so I can always have plenty of room on the phone.

Hmmmm, a light bulb just went off. . . .

[thoughts] maybe with both link2sd and then setting up some of that free space for a ram swap it would stop running out of memory, as that is what kfazz said was happening. . . . oom errors . . . .[/thought]

I'm going to have to google that for me . . . . .
  19. johnlgalt

20. teddyearp

Thx. Yes google brought me to that and other 'solutions', but I would rather dig deeper to see if a portion of the phone's internal memory relieved by the use of link2sd could be used as a swap portion instead of further stressing the sdcard.

More 'googling', maybe later.
  21. johnlgalt

Wait. You want RAM moved to the SDCard and swap moved to RAM?

I thought SWAP is already in RAM...unless it is using a lot smaller chunk that you would have it use in RAM?
  22. teddyearp

I'm sure you know all of this, but I'll explain better what I wish.

Moving apps to sdcard within native android works 'ok', but using link2sd you create and actual seperate partition on the sdcard which works much, much better. So much so that I have now moved enough apps to have about 128 megs free on the phone's internal storage (/data).

'Swap' in android/linux is the same as Virtual RAM on a PC where you are able to add the amount of ram you have by using a protion of your hard drive to do it. Swapper2, etc, would use my sdcard for that, and I would have to create another partition on the card to do so. Since the phone's internal memory is also a 'hard drive' that is where I was hoping to try to put my swap, since the extra write cycles to my sdcard would further reduce it's life.

But I haven't looked further into it since my last reply, so . . .
  23. ironmask

I tried it as well.. (latest version) and used my SD ext with happened installed... I liked it alot... about the smoothest cm9 version I've been able to use on a phone that usually doesn't get this privilege ... one problem I noticed was the touchscreen had a sensitivity problem where it would make the items jump and be difficult to select... I didn't try the video cam.. I forgot... other than that.. I played with it a couple of days and reverted back to my cm7 nightly .. nice work so far I hope things get polished a little more so I can use this as a daily driver ad well :D
  24. johnlgalt

Actually, Swapper 2 does not require a new partition - it can use the regular root of the SDCard for swap as well. I did it with CM7 he entire time I was running it.

Is that supposed to say "SD ext with Swapper2 installed"?

So, overall, you're saying that it is polished enough almost for a daily driver nice.
  25. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member

Its almost polished enough for a daily driver... if you dont mind eating up your SD card. They werent really meant for the repeated read/write cycles a swap file will put them through.

To get performance anywhere resembling a GB rom I had to use Swapper2 to free up some RAM, install setcpu and run performance governor at about 900mhz, and set a profile to drop that cpu down when screen = off. Its close, but not quite ready for prime time. I run google voice so that eats up some RAM on the system, it was always showing as "restarting" when I went to look at running apps until I used a swap file.

Teddyearp I really like your idea of being able to use part of the phones internal storage as a swap file, but that is the same type of memory as what SD cards use isnt it? I was under the impression that any non volitile ram was subject to degradation with many read/write cycles?