• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS: This is why Apple iPhone trumps Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this thread is somewhat incendiary however think about it for a second. Would you rather have a single solution that works perfectly for the majority of people, or multiple solutions, each of which half works?

In reality the inevitable question is going to be asked: "Which is the best xxyyzz" application. That's just the way it is.

When I look at iPhone I see problems, no doubt. It's not perfect. However I see a community that is united and interested in fixing the problems. Compare this to the Android world where some people with certain phones have problems and others with different phones have no problems.
The reviews and experiences are all over the place.
Choose the right phone and things might work good for you.
Choose the wrong phone and you are screwed.

This doesn't happen in the Apple world.
You take it or leave it.

So what is better?
A situation where you have choice, and 15 different applications that half work or being forced to use one application that does work.
I choose the latter.
YMMV.

I'll take choice every time. Also your 15 apps that half work I've never found to be true. So far I've always found what I was looking for. Now what works for me you may not like at all that's where having choices are good. What if you run into something you really don't like in I phone? Well if it's part of the standard you are sol. In android more than likely you can replace it. I'm not using the standard android keyboard or launcher for example.

Some people would rather just have consistency no matter what and there's nothing wrong with that. So no, Iphone is not better than android nor is android better than Iphone, each one is better for certain groups of people. It all depends on what they are looking for.

Upvote 0
Well, android isn't for everyone. It's meant to be a more powerful and customizable platform. You despise it for the same reasons others praise it. It all comes down to user preference. If you want simplicity, the iPhone was *made* to be simple. Android has many offerings because people *enjoy* choice. That's why once you find the one you like, you set it as default and it doesn't bother you anymore. As for the dim notification icons, that's a feature. You can change notification transparency in the settings.

Tell me were this transparency settings is at please, enquiring minds want to know.

Upvote 0
Android is a much more diverse universe than iOS (which is not necessarily a good thing):

-Android has thousands of different models abailable (Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, etc), whereas iOS has only the iPhone. That makes it a lot easier for Apple to deliver a more polished experience in terms of the operational system (less freeze-ups, faster, easier to install upgrades, etc).

-It's much harder to develop and publish an app on iTunes than on Google Play, in my opinion. iPhone apps are also more carefully selected. That leads to a scenario where, in your Android device, you have the choice to download millions of apps that do everything. Some of them will be incredible, some of them will be bizarrely bad. In your iPhone, you will be able to download thousands of apps which are "leveled", having undergone at least a minimum of quality assurance.

Upvote 0
Alright I surrender! I was the OP and was having a bad day. A real bad day.

Just to clarify, choice is great and I have nothing against choice at all.
Same for being able to do with your phone what you want to do (root, other firmware etc). I'm all for that.

What I am saying though is that when it comes down to having to choose from a multitude of semi-decent applications vs a single application that does what it is supposed to do, I will pick the single application.

Also what I notice with Android is that some things just don't seem to have been tested on users before software is released. The dim icons on the notification bar for example. The odd way contacts vs people vs phone are managed just seems very confusing to me.

As for the iPhone, the bad news is if you don't like the apps and the way data is managed on the phone, you are pretty much SOL unless you jailbreak it. Personally I loath iTunes so I doubt an iPhone is in my future, despite my rants.

I also agree with the other poster regarding Samsung phones.
Same experience I had and I realize many people are very happy with that brand. I'm not one of them.

As for call quality, the Razr is the best I have used that I can remember.
It gets a signal where other people's phones, including the iPhone, are in a dead zone.

Lastly, thanks for allowing me to vent and thanks for understanding and offering some constructive dialog.

I came on strong and I do apologize to the group for that.
It was uncalled for...

Back to work!

Upvote 0
I havent had any issues finding apps that do exactly what I want them to do. What specifics are you referring to?

If you want features implemented, email the developers.

If you can't find an app that works, ask around the community here :). I find great new apps all the time that others have been using for a long time.

Upvote 0
Alright I surrender! I was the OP and was having a bad day. A real bad day.

Just to clarify, choice is great and I have nothing against choice at all.
Same for being able to do with your phone what you want to do (root, other firmware etc). I'm all for that.

What I am saying though is that when it comes down to having to choose from a multitude of semi-decent applications vs a single application that does what it is supposed to do, I will pick the single application.

Also what I notice with Android is that some things just don't seem to have been tested on users before software is released. The dim icons on the notification bar for example. The odd way contacts vs people vs phone are managed just seems very confusing to me.

As for the iPhone, the bad news is if you don't like the apps and the way data is managed on the phone, you are pretty much SOL unless you jailbreak it. Personally I loath iTunes so I doubt an iPhone is in my future, despite my rants.

I also agree with the other poster regarding Samsung phones.
Same experience I had and I realize many people are very happy with that brand. I'm not one of them.

As for call quality, the Razr is the best I have used that I can remember.
It gets a signal where other people's phones, including the iPhone, are in a dead zone.

Lastly, thanks for allowing me to vent and thanks for understanding and offering some constructive dialog.

I came on strong and I do apologize to the group for that.
It was uncalled for...

Back to work!

LOL!! Funny how things just go into left field sometimes. :D

Upvote 0
In a nutshell, you can't go around saying one is better than the other anymore than you can say oranges taste better than strawberries - its an individual opinion.

You CAN say, "Apple is better than Android for me", and then give your reasons if you are so inclined (and anyone wants to listen...jk:p).

Its an individual choice - I'm just glad we have the freedom to choose!

Upvote 0
Almost a year ago I posted this in another thread ...

If I may use that tired old car analogy for a moment, the iPhone is the BMW of the phone world and we can all pretty much agree that the BMW 740i is a beautiful luxury vehicle that would suit the transportation needs of a large segment of the driving public, and "better" than a vast majority of other vehicles. But, if i needed to haul firewood, I'd get a Ford F10. If I wanted exceptional mileage for commuting, I'd get a Prius. If I had to haul the kids to practice I'd get a Honda Odyssey minivan. If was towing the boat to the lake, I'd get a Jeep Cherokee. If I was into street modding, I'd get a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO ... none of which overall matches the style or quality of the 740i. So the 740i is a luxurious car that impresses folks and carries a few people in style around safe, paved roads. If you wanted to any of the other stuff, there are better suited alternatives, just not from BMW.

Apple's product line is a highly successful enigma. It is a high quality lowest common denominator.

Upvote 0

If I may use that tired old car analogy for a moment, the iPhone is the BMW of the phone world and we can all pretty much agree that the BMW 740i is a beautiful luxury vehicle that would suit the transportation needs of a large segment of the driving public, and "better" than a vast majority of other vehicles. But, if i needed to haul firewood, I'd get a Ford F10. If I wanted exceptional mileage for commuting, I'd get a Prius. If I had to haul the kids to practice I'd get a Honda Odyssey minivan. If was towing the boat to the lake, I'd get a Jeep Cherokee. If I was into street modding, I'd get a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO ... none of which overall matches the style or quality of the 740i. So the 740i is a luxurious car that impresses folks and carries a few people in style around safe, paved roads. If you wanted to any of the other stuff, there are better suited alternatives, just not from BMW.

Apple's product line is a highly successful enigma. It is a high quality lowest common denominator.

Here in China genuine Apple products are just like those BMWs, because they tend to be horribly expensive, because they're sold as luxury products in China, just like LVMH and PPR luxury products. The iPhone 4S and iPad are around twice as expensive here as I would pay in the UK for them. Plus with the iPhone 4S here one must commit to a mandatory, expensive two year contract. Many Chinese actually believe that their Apple products are made in the USA..... :D ...just like they think their Gucci handbags come from Italy.

Many people can't actually afford the real mccoy, so they just make do with what they can afford...
iphone_front_china.jpg

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Choice rules - Having an OS that is just an OS is mostly great. You people like video and entertainment - I like reference books and information. Android works for both of us.

I think it does when your choices are up to the level of the single offering.
For example, Google voice/ voice commands vs Siri.
On the Maxx you have various different methods of using voice control and they are very limited. People get confused because they see Motospeak, little microphone, search icon and so forth. It seems scattered and not cohesive.

On the iPhone, Siri is it and it works rather well.
Of course if you don't like Siri, you are screwed so that's the down side.

Upvote 0

Except it wouldn't be a 740i... It would be a 135i, its freakin tiny compared to most other Android phones :D

Going back to what the OP said. Even your main premise isn't completely true, that Apple's apps "just work". Reference the chart below:

app-crashes-bar-graph1-550x409.png

In short, Apple's superiority is a myth. The iOS fans make the argument that Apple is more stable, because logically, having one company do everything, and one piece of hardware to develop for SHOULD make things more stable... But it ends up not being true, but its the truth that is mind boggling, not the myth, so the truth doesn't get traction. Same thing with "fragmentation"

crashes-ios-android-piegraph1-550x374.png

Apple made available iOS updates to everyone at the same time, so it shouldn't be fragmented. But its just not true. It turns out stability due to iOS fragmentation is worse than Android, (mainly because many app developers for Apple are ignorant to iOS fragmentation shown above).

Upvote 0
I think it does when your choices are up to the level of the single offering.
For example, Google voice/ voice commands vs Siri.
On the Maxx you have various different methods of using voice control and they are very limited. People get confused because they see Motospeak, little microphone, search icon and so forth. It seems scattered and not cohesive.

On the iPhone, Siri is it and it works rather well.
Of course if you don't like Siri, you are screwed so that's the down side.

However if you are like me and don't care about voice it doesn't matter. I don't want to talk to my phone or for it to talk to me. I won't state my opinion on the folks I see in town talking to their phones other than its annoying as heck lol

Upvote 0
When you ask which OS is better, you will not find a definite answer. You will have some people that are completely biased and no matter what that version does those people will fight to the death for it. Then you'll have the people that just go with which ever version is "in" at the time and spout only praise about it. Then you have the people that are realistic and realize every phone has their flaws and accepts that.

So when it comes down to it, when deciding which is better: Apple or Android. You can't pick the winner for everyone, but only for yourself. Everyone has their own opinions and knows exactly what they seek.

To me, android is the winner. I love my Razr which is up to date with ICS, and I like everything I have seen (minus that they took my alarm away haha) I even like the "dimmed" notifications. But that is me, I like android and thats my opinion.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
As much as I love my Android (and will continue to when I upgrade) I have to say that if I were to recommend a smartphone to my technically inept mother then it would have to be an iPhone.

I personally think Androids are much better at most things except for the folk who just want a simple smartphone that just works. And that, to me, is Apples strength.

Granted there are the fanbois n grls who'll preach at the alter of Steve Jobs (blessed be his name), but then again, being honest we probably have as many people who are members of the Church of the 'Droid.

At the end of the day it's different tools for different jobs.

That said I hope Apple continue to innovate and push hard, because the competition can only make Android better.

Just wish everyone would leave off the Patent wars though...

Upvote 0
Like someone in this thresd said that its all user preference. The good thing about apple is how they do updates. The rest not so much, IMO. I've seen iPhones over the years and I see that the design concept is always nearly the same. Just a couple of "new"(I use that term loosely) features and some razzle dazzle to get people that enjoy apple products to form a huge line to buy the new product.
iPhone is for users that like simplicity at best. The iPhone really isn't hard to operate depending on the person :3. Customization? Not like android. Jailbreaking? Android beats it. I like variety over something identical that people have. Since we're using analogies :D here's mine: If you were to buy a bag of jellybeans. Would you want the bag that has the same flavor or the one with mixed flavors? I would go with the one with mixed flavors(Popcorn flavored jellybean ftw btw!)
Again like stated before its all about user preference :)
Sorry that you had a bad experience with android, but they run android, just on a different phone. If you feel that an iPhone is better than by all means have fun and enjoy it! :D
I literally debated with my friend over this for an hour straight on Apple vs. Android.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Can you provide examples of what apps semi work or work half the time, with thousands upon thousands of apps there is a perfect working solution to all. It takes a generic search and a few seconds to read reviews or ratings........i have had 3 androids now i have a GS2 and every phone i have purchased hasnt astronomically been better going from the ERIS to the dX and to my TMobile GS2. You seem very frustrated at the lack of these perfect apps you seek but if you just took a second to post in your phone section im very certain you would get great feedback for apps that have a track record of working for your phone. You mentioned earlier that there are so many different androids it hard to find support but thats the reason for sub forums....I would never go to Apple for the above reasons i love knowing my phone can do everything exactly as an IPhone but the vice versa cannot....but that being said dont tell my coworkers that when i hold an Iphone in my hand it is beautiful, the Iphone is gorgeous and feels like money in my hand but it just isnt for me i like my 4.5" screen, and customization, honestly about a month back i got tired of my widgets and i went to an Iphone Style Theme and love it but i know in a month or so ill be dying for my widgets and rest assured they will be back to keep my attention.

Upvote 0
The good thing about apple is how they do updates.
This is another big thing people are always complaining about when google will push updates and ICS and Jelly Bean and Candy Cane and Ju Ju Bees and what not but they dont realize that google has to work with Samsung and Motorola and HTC and Verizon and Tmobile and AT&T and Sprint to push these updates imagine just how many workers google has assigned to producing updates to each induvidual phone.....its pretty nuts to think about....

since i quoted a Mexican i will end with this :smokingsomb:

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
I just have to post this, my daughter the iPhone junkie dropped her 4S on the vinyl tile floor, from about chair height (she was sitting down) and the front glass (not the LCD) shattered...She has a basic rubber/plastic case on it.

If I wasn't there to see it, I would not have believed a drop from such a short distance and on to a semi soft floor would have done that.

She is pissed, to say the least. Her fault though.

I'll wager a Maxx in an Otter Box Commuter, or even bare would have survived this one.

Comments?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones