ICS Update stuck on "Upgrading Media DatabaseSupport

1. rcanino

rcanino New Member

Ok, Started upgrade at 2 this morning, awoke to "upgading Media database" at 0540 this morning and now it is 12 hours later since I started the update with the same screen. Yes I have music as it is my music player when doing things and a few pics. Frustrating to say the least.

Anyone have an idea, Do I ride it out, do I wait longer, pull the battery and restart, do a Factory reset?

Frustrated

Advertisement
  2. billd

billd Well-Known Member

12 hours? Mine's only been going an hour but it is still going.

Why couldn't they have done the media DB upgrade in the background? WTF is it doing anyway?

I actually need to use my phone as a phone sometimes.....
  3. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

how much do you have?

I have about 8GB and it took quite a while.

While it is doing that you can still use the phone for other things. just not to play music.
  4. rcanino

rcanino New Member

While it shows Upgrading Media Database, I cannot use the phone at all, I believe it is part of the ICS update.
  5. Satires

Satires Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know what you would do at this point. :(

I just read a thread about taking the sd card out before the update.
  6. rcanino

rcanino New Member

Update, I removed the Battery and restarted the phone, started up fine, seems to have updated to ICS correctly. Will wait and see as the rest of the day goes by.
  7. del2484

del2484 Well-Known Member

My phone was stuck on that as well so I pulled the battery and that seems to have been the WRONG move. The phone has been updated but it's barely functioning. Constantly restarting, heating up, slowly recharging (if at all), screen freezing, GO Launcher consistently force closing....

Any idea what I can do?
  8. wildkitten

wildkitten Well-Known Member

My guess, pull the SD card, do a FDR and then try to reapply the 246. It's best to do a FDR anyway after 246, so you will just be doing it before.
  9. del2484

del2484 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Could you just elaborate on what FDR (I'm assuming that's some kind of reset) and reapplying the 246 (ICS?) means? And more specifically, how I'd go about it?

Thanks again.
  10. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

You could start by powering down and when powered off totally charge it.

... Thom
  11. wildkitten

Stands for Factory Data Reset. Completely wipes your phone to how you got it.

Go under Settings>Privacy and you should see it. But personally I would pull the SD card just in case even though it's not suppose to be erased. Not to mention, some people are reporting slower updating to 246 with the SD card installed.
  12. billd

billd Well-Known Member

Mine finally finished after I went to sleep. I would guess it was between 9 and 12 hours. It was done when I woke up in the middle of the night.
  13. dukenilnil

dukenilnil Well-Known Member

Cross posting since this is a dedicated thread to this common occurrence.

Motorola said that you can pull out the micro SD card during this process (even while running) and it will finish up quickly. They said it will then take a while before all your media is synced when you put it back in, but that process will run in the background and you can use your phone. They mentioned this on their support forums (Matt) https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d6902cae59

For others, mine took about 3 hours. It wasn't stuck, it did eventually come around to finishing. Have thousands of photos, hundreds of videos, and about 400 songs.
  14. wildkitten

If the media is syncing in the background, I wonder if this is why some have a problem with battery life and the ohone being warm after the update.
  15. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

That woud be correct.
  16. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Well-Known Member

So, for anyone still having this problem just be patient as eventually the phone will finish. If it gets stuck and just won't finish then pull the sd card like motorola suggests. Good luck with your ICS!!!I

I love mine!!!!
  17. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

... and watch the battery level.

... Thom