ICS update?

Last Updated:

1. joecool2

joecool2 Member

can anyone tell me if I upgrade my nexus s to ics if I will loose my tethering and portable hotspots?

2. joecool2

joecool2 Member

Hasn't anyone updated to ICS yet so they can tell me if the wifi hotspot still works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Yes, USB, Wifi, and Bluetooth tethering all still work with the official 4.0.3 ICS update.
  4. razvan06

razvan06 Well-Known Member

i did not loose any of these [I9023]
  5. razvan06

Same as quantumrand ,all working !
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I miss my Nexus S right now :(

Hopefully there is an ICS ROM for my phone soon...
  7. joecool2

joecool2 Member

is that (I9023) your baseband version if so mine is (I9020) Are you on AT&T or T-Mobile?
  8. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

I have the I9020T, same baseband as the I9023. The AT&T version (the I9020A) hasn't gotten the update yet, though a workaround to force it to install does exist.
  9. razvan06

Sorry ,I9023 is the SLCD version ,i forgot thaat you have the I9020T/A versions ... the I9023 is the EU version of the NS.
  10. megadude

megadude Well-Known Member

got the official update over the air and it doesn't detect any wifi
  11. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

Got mine OTA last night and so far everything seems to be ok.
  12. OnlySkillz

OnlySkillz Well-Known Member

Did ANYONE get it from Canada yet?
  13. firuz

firuz Member

yes, I have the same problem no Wi-fi , now removing all apps , and loding again ,still trying ...?
  14. acithium

acithium Active Member

15. razvan06

16. FaroeseViking

FaroeseViking Well-Known Member

The only thing I had a little trouble with my touch screen, but it seemed to clear up all by itself.
  17. firuz

firuz Member

Can anyone advise , loading manually ics update on received OTA ics will help me solve my problem(no wifi) .?
  18. volvo940seturbo

volvo940seturbo Well-Known Member

Just got a nexus s here in the uk, says it is a 19020GSMH on the phone, and it is still on 2.3.1 which seems strange. It was bought brand new sim free yesterday, from a store here in the UK, and as I am used to htc products and the way you check for updates on them, I am unsure as to if this has setup correctly when I first started the phone, as when you check for system updates, it just says it is upto date, but no means of doing a manual check.
  19. razvan06

The Google phone runs a bit different from HTC ,it automatically does a checkin every once in a while to check for updates or you could try this code : *#*#CHECKIN#*#* in dialer !
  20. volvo940seturbo

Tried doing this several times, and still nothing, still on 2.3.1 no updates of any kind.
  21. firuz

firuz Member

I have the same problem , factory data reset did not help .did you find a cure ? can you advise please
  22. Snedd

Snedd Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Nexus S in the UK (sim is on 3) and it always says system up to date no matter what version is installed, *#*#CHECKIN#*#* has no effect. Haven't looked into why as its pretty simple to upgrade manually, just make sure you get correct update for your specific model.

For instructions see for example:

[GUIDE] 2.3.6 OTA - i9020t/i9023 - i9020a [Archive] - xda-developers

ASFAIK all ROM updates for the 9020t/9023 have an address beginning:

and for the 9020a have an address beginning:

(i.e. crepoa vs crespo). 9020a is only for US AT&T networks, 9020t/9023 is everywhere else 3G, don't know the details for the 4G version.

To get to 2.3.6 I used:

To quote from the above XDA Dev link:

"Copy the update file appropriate for your model/build/modem to your Internal storage of your phone. Do not place in any sub-directory.
    Turn off your phone.
    While holding the volume up, press the power to turn on the phone
    use the up/down volume to select recovery
    press power to make the selection.

Your phone will now reboot into recovery.

When you see the little droid, while holding the power, press the volume up to bring up a menu.
    Select "Apply update from /sdcard"
    scroll down to the update file you downloaded it, make sure it's highlighted then press power to select
    The update should go through"

I also rename the file to update.zip before copying to my phone.

You don't need to be rooted as these are all signed stock updates.
    You can go from 2.3.6 to ICS (I think) but I haven't tried it yet.
    volvo940seturbo likes this.
  23. volvo940seturbo

Cheers for this, I assume the files you have provided need to be done in order, so as to move from 2.3.1 upwards in versions in stages, is that correct??
  24. volvo940seturbo

Taking the plunge now, will let you know if it works or frys lol
  25. volvo940seturbo

Well update from 2.3.1 to 2.3.3 went OK now to the next stage.