ICS upgrade for Hong Kong firmware?General

Last Updated: 2012-09-19 20:49:46
  1. CargoMatatu

CargoMatatu Well-Known Member

Although I live in Europe I bought my Galaxy Tab 10.1 while passing through Hong Kong. Also my GS2 phone.

I always connect to, and update through Kies.

Luckily my phone received its upgrade before everyone else at my home, as it too is on Hong Kong regional firmware. And very nice it is too! :)

So, does anyone know when that region is likely to receive the ICS upgrade for the GT 10.1?

Advertisement
  2. vpereyra

vpereyra Member

Everybody is desesperated about getting this answer.
  3. affenzeit

affenzeit Active Member

So would it be possible to upload this file so that we can manually apply to or tabs?
  4. mapleleaf-mick

mapleleaf-mick Well-Known Member

It is not available yet........:(
  5. CargoMatatu

Beginning to give up hope of ever seeing it now!

Seems Sammy has forgotten us! Sigh!
  6. CargoMatatu

Well it appears that this is now rolling out across Europe.

Anyone heard any news re Hong Kong region yet?
  7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Would like to know too.
  8. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Not sure if it means anything for sure, but , you may be happy to hear that for the 7.7 tab, which to date is the only Galaxy Tab to get the official stock ICS from Samsung for more than just the UK region, the second region to be released was Hong Kong.
    The HK was released 2 or 3 weeks after the UK drop for the 7.7. As of yet, I do not think there has been an HK zone drop for the 7 Plus (which was issued for the UK region a couple of weeks ago) and obviously not yet for the 10.1 either.
    Szadzik and CargoMatatu like this.
  9. CargoMatatu

Seems it's rolling out across the U.S. as well now.
    They're normally the last to get anything!

Still waiting here - yawn!
  10. Szadzik

I have a Hong Kong 3G version and installed the UK/ IT ICS and am perfectly happy. The process was dead easy too.
  11. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Indonesia Malasyia and Singapore dropped today. I think that is all the same region so not sure why I got 3 separate notices for that firmware, but at least they are getting closer to Hong Kong.
  12. sydneybill

sydneybill New Member

Hi,

I live in Sydney Austraiia. I brought the samsung 10.1 wfi-only tablet in Hong Kong last year as well and have been trying to upgrade it to ics since July with no luck. It always come back with "no updates" available when tried to "update" in "About device->Software update->Update"

Also, I can't get my galaxy SII (brought in HK as well) mobile phone upgrade to ICS either.

Not sure if i can only do the ugrade in Hong Kong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  13. CargoMatatu

I did mine by connecting at home, here in Luxembourg (that's in Europe)

Did it through Kies and Kies did it automatically.
  14. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

I have the 3G Canadian model and I too flashed the UK update. Works great with full functionality, noticeably faster, and very smooth.
  15. CargoMatatu

Still waiting - yawn.

Don't want to experiment with rooting/flashing as I am a techno-moron!
    Prefer to do things the official way!
  16. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Well-Known Member

I usually do too, but decided to give it a shot.
    Used Odin to flash the UK update to my US model
    Went just fine, couldn't have been easier. And, you don't have to root.
    Since that first time, I've used Oden several times, for flashing firmware
    and for rooting.
    Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.
  17. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

I concur. My first experience with Odin was for flashing my Tab to ICS, and it's not difficult to do. All you need are the Samsung USB drivers, Odin flashing software, and the firmware file for your model Tab. The US version is available now, as well as the UK version I flashed. The US and UK versions are very similar, except for spelling dictionaries and Office packages - UK uses Polaris Office while US uses Open Office.
    CargoMatatu likes this.
  18. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find an official (non-carrier) US firmware for my GT-P7500 Galaxy Tab 10.1. My unit is an unlocked tablet that came with the Hong Kong firmware on it.

I would love to switch to a US based firmware if that is possible. From the messages above, it seems like it might be.

Am I misunderstanding some of the earlier posts in this thread?

What tab model number would have been sold in the US with the 3G radio that wasn't for a specific carrier? That might help me track down the right ICS firmware image.

-SF
  19. CargoMatatu

Getting more than bored and fed up with waiting now.

I even find myself becoming interested in Windows 8! What on earth is happening?! :-(
  20. Szadzik

I have no idea why you do not just install the UK ICS firmware instead of waiting.

I have a HK Tab 10.1 and installed ICS a long time ago.
  21. CargoMatatu

Simple. Because it's a trust thing.

I trust Samsung to provide the correct and appropriate update as and when it is available.

I do not trust myself, being a complete non-techy, to do this manually.

See my post of 30th August. :rolleyes:
  22. SlyFerret

I just checked for updates on my Hong Kong version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. There is a 237 MB update available.

I'm downloading it now. With that sort of size, I'll be pretty surprised if it is not ICS.

-SF
  23. CargoMatatu

Yep, it's here at last!

Just finished downloading and installing it. Now to redo all my widgits, etc!

:)
  24. SlyFerret

I figured it was time for a hard reset on my tab with a big software upgrade like this.

I've only reinstalled a few of my apps so far. I'm going to play it by ear and install as needed going forward. Probably don't need most of the apps I had installed before.

-SF