I'd like to buy an Android phone but KEEP my current contract

Last Updated:

1. bageled123

bageled123 New Member This Topic's Starter

I've got the family plan and I'd like to have smartphone. However, I do not want to pay the extra 15-30 a month for internet! Is it possible to use a smartphone without changing my contract (does "rooting" help with this)? I am quite new the the mobile device scene, but I have put together a few computers so I am familiar with DIY problems.

Advertisement
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

You should be able to. You will obviously have to pay retail for your phone if you don't want to change your contract. Also if you are on a carrier that doesn't use a SIM card you may not be able to activate the phone with out data.

If you have a SIM and get everything activated, root your phone and use this app: DroidWall - Android Firewall - Android app on AppBrain so that you can restrict all of your data to wifi only.

3. bageled123

bageled123 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! I'm looking for a good deal on Black Friday since Verizon only allows me to "upgrade" rather than giving money towards a new phone. What's the difference between rooting and jailbreaking? I know about jailbroken iphones to use on different carriers, but I think I'd prefer a droid!

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

The name. They both do essentially the same thing - they give you access to system level files allowing you to customize your phone more and use additional apps that require system level access. Now it is just as easy to root and android phone as it is to jailbreak an iPhone also.

I you are on Verizon I am pretty sure you are going to have to pay for data. I know Best Buy is doing the Fascinate for free on black friday, that and the Droid X are the 2 best on Verizon right now. Also check out Amazon, they have some great prices on Verizon Droids.

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Rooting a phone is simply giving it administrator (or super user) privilege and access.

Be advised... Verizon will not typically allow you to activate a smart phone without a data plan.

Another way of acquiring a phone without changing your contract is to buy the phone through Craigslist or eBay. The risk is higher but, once you find an honest seller, the cost will be lower than buying a smartphone from Verizon for full retail.