• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'd like to buy you all a drink

D

Deleted User

..to help me celebrate my victory

I defeated the thieving car parking cowboys who attempted to criminally extort £100 from me. I do not have to pay them as my appeal was upheld. Yaay!
If anyone in the UK wants any advice on how go about appealing unfair, or unjust parking tickets, let me know ;)

I absolutely went to town on the appeal evidence, supplying multiple grounds for appeal, but in the end, it was upheld on the simple grounds that their reason for issuing the charge wasn't valid. "Ticket expired or unpaid". This car park allows 30 minutes free, I stayed for 11 minutes. So neither of the reasons given in the above statement applies.

That has really made my day :D

Congratulations, must be very satisfying.
Any advice on how to get my latest citation overturned? (2 days ago)

I returned to my truck, well within the 90 minutes allowed, to find it under my windshield wiper.

"I Got This!!!!!" I thought. The citation is time stamped, and I have the receipt from the parking lot on the other side of town, which I left not an hour ago.....Also likely time stamped!

Except I declined to take the receipt from the first lot, it was only for a $1.25 or so. Who needs it?

The real question turned out to be "What good would it have done me anyway"?

On closer inspection, the citation was not for a time violation, after all. The violation was for "Failure to display front license plate". :rolleyes:In the past 25 years, none of my vehicles (with the sole exception of my current truck) have been fitted with a front plate, never a problem. :mad:
I came out one morning to find the front plate on my truck hanging by a thread; I pulled it the rest of the way off to avoid losing it in the street, stashed it behind the seat, and immediately forgot about it.

I think they've got me; One cop with a quota to fill, and a drive to make the streets safe for the rest of you.

I'll try refitting the plate, and request that the citation be converted to a "fix it" ticket, (as I think would have been proper in the first place); But I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0
The best part of all this is that I probably cost the parking cowboys more than £100 in efforts to justify their extortion.
Losers!!

This is the important thing, you cost those charlatans money.

Mrs Presidente got a ticket a while back, but up here in Scotland you don't even need to appeal. I did a bit of digging and it turns out you can just ignore them (no matter how ridiculously threatening the letters get) and there's very little they can do about it.

Easiest £60 we ever made :p

I'll take a Guinness btw.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
The college I attended had one parking lot that didn't require a parking permit. I once left my car there for a weekend to join a school sponsored trip up to the northern part of Utah. They had us all leave our cars there. We came back and found a freshly erected sign that said "Parking Permit Required"....and all of our cars had tickets.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
1444342190362.jpg

Upvote 0
This is the important thing, you cost those charlatans money.

Mrs Presidente got a ticket a while back, but up here in Scotland you don't even need to appeal. I did a bit of digging and it turns out you can just ignore them (no matter how ridiculously threatening the letters get) and there's very little they can do about it.

Easiest £60 we ever made :p

I'll take a Guinness btw.

Well you can ignore them, but it's risky, as they can proceed to take you to court, and you get a county court judgement against you. This allows them to engage debt recovery agents to turn up on your doorstep. It varies across the different cowboy operators, some will not pursue you because there are plenty of people who get scared over their intimidating letters, and pay up immediately.

I followed the appeals process because in the end, I knew however far they took this, I would win, because I did nothing wrong, and the evidence was on my side. It was so funny because the evidence they supplied in their appeal response actually supported my case. That's how stupid these people are. They can't even be bothered to review their own evidence. It was totally clear that I had followed the parking instructions.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Over here, it pays (well, technically not) to go to traffic court, because every time I go, the fine is reduced to court costs and that's it.

Thankfully, we don't get tickets very often at all.

We have this plague of private car park operators, who are engaged by land owners to enforce parking restrictions, and these restrictions are becoming increasingly deceptive in order to justify penalty charges on drivers.

But the bottom line is, it's a money making racket, and should really be subject to more stringent regulation. This was done for clamping companies a couple of years ago, who were deploying clamps to cars, and demanding extortionate release fees.

A lot of people just ignore the letters, but that is not recommended these days, because some of the bigger cowboys will pursue you to the court stage if you don't at least put up some kind of defence/appeal.

Upvote 0

Hahaha fat chance to that ever happening!

If you ever did not only would you be in super exponential googol debt for the rest of your life but also your children's children's children's children hahahahaha!

Lol talk about bearing the cross haha!

Lol now that would would be epic :D

Lol imagine that over 7 BILLION cokes in one singled day!

And from what I've heard is that coke is actually extremely cheap to make :D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

If you ever did not only would you be in super exponential googol debt for the rest of your life but also your children's children's children's children hahahahaha!

And from what I've heard is that coke is actually extremely cheap to make :D

Ah, you make the assumption that he wants to buy everyone a Coke each. Check the fine print.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
..to help me celebrate my victory

I defeated the thieving car parking cowboys who attempted to criminally extort £100 from me. I do not have to pay them as my appeal was upheld. Yaay!
If anyone in the UK wants any advice on how go about appealing unfair, or unjust parking tickets, let me know ;)

I absolutely went to town on the appeal evidence, supplying multiple grounds for appeal, but in the end, it was upheld on the simple grounds that their reason for issuing the charge wasn't valid. "Ticket expired or unpaid". This car park allows 30 minutes free, I stayed for 11 minutes. So neither of the reasons given in the above statement applies.

That has really made my day :D

You don't need to buy me a drink sir. A Scotsman always has a supply on hand and I will open one up this evening to celebrate your victory!

Keep fighting the good fight.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
I also contacted my member of parliament about this little scam going on, so he's written to them for an explanation, to which they had to respond.
The irony here is that nobody had to pay this charge, because their reason for issuing doesn't make sense! I thought from day 1 that it was total BS, and if I'd known the assessor would apply this reasoning, then my appeal would have been a hell of a lot simpler.
So, just in case anyone in the UK reads this, if you get a PCN with reason "ticket unpaid or expired", and you stayed within the free period, which requires no payment, then appeal on the grounds that the PCN is issued incorrectly. You will win.
Of course if they had any sense, they'd now change the wording on the letter, but they're raking in the fines from people who do pay, so they probably won't even bother doing that.

Reactions: touringhaggis
Upvote 0

And from what I've heard is that coke is actually extremely cheap to make
:D

Well I can only afford so much Coke syrup concentrate....
Coca_cola-post-mix-syrup-12_litre-500x500.jpg

...and they'd have to supply their own water and CO2. So for 7 BILLION people it would be somewhat more dilute than the Coca-Cola Co intended.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones