I'd like to purchase an HTC for my wife...

1. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

Hi all,

our anniversary is getting closer and closer and I've decided to buy a smartphone to my wife, since she expressed a lot of interest in my HTC Desire.

The Desire, however, is a bit too big (and pricey!) for her needs, so I'm wondering what other Android-based HTC could be appropriate as a gift.

The Wildfire looks very promising, but I fear that the low screen resolution may limit too much the range of apps available for it. Is this the case?

Do you have any comment/suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
  2. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

So you want a small, in-expensive phone with a hi-res screen?
  3. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member

I know some Samsung's are quite small, though most of them don't really compare to the desire. There's the Sony Ericsson xperia x10 mini I suppose, don't know if it's any good or not though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  4. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

Let's say I want a small, reasonably priced smartphone with a mid-res screen.

Sounds better? ;)

It has to be Android.

It doesn't have to be an HTC.
  5. opticalshadow

opticalshadow Well-Known Member

well pending what provider your with you can pick up a mytouch of equvilent fairly cheap now a days, they didnt seem to big to me.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Do they have a version of the Aria or the Eris there? You might want to stick with HTC only because your wife might equate the Sense UI with Android and if you get her something different ... just sayin' (been married for 25 years for a reason)
  7. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

They call it "Magic" here in Europe... yes, a colleague has one but it seems a tad too "cheap" to me, and it still has all the supposed limitations of the Wildfire (correct me if I'm wrong).
  8. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Providers are not relevent in Europe as to which phones you are limited to like in the US. You can buy any phone you want.
  9. Bnice

Bnice Guest

what about the htc legend.
  10. mummi

mummi Member

I am kinda in the same place, the Wildfire has everything going for it except the screen rez, other phones that I have been looking at is the Samsung Galaxy Spica and the Vodafone 845, but despite the low rez of the Wildfire I am leaning towards it.
  11. Mik3h

Mik3h Well-Known Member

HTC Hero perhaps?
  12. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

Buy one which released in 2010 as those are promised 2.2 updates. If you are in Europe, look at the Wildfire.

It will be very hard to find a high res HTC phone smaller than the Desire. Doubt it exists.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk
  13. HustlinDaily

Do they have an equivalent to the LG Ally there?

3.2" 800x480 WVGA with a QWERTY.

14. nicksti

nicksti New Member

You are in the same market as myself. My other requirement is a nice camera with a flash.

1. HTC Legend - 3.2" AMOLED 320x480 126g
    2. HTC Wildfire - 3.2" TFT 240x320 118g
    3. SE X10 mini/mini pro - 2.55" TFT 240x320 88g / 120g (pro)

The reviews on the HTC cameras are not always very positive, and the SE X10 mini/mini pro is a little small, low res, and outdated in the os department.

So I am still looking.
  15. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Don't get the super low-res crap. App incompatibility nightmare. No.

The Legend is a nice mid-range alternative, IMO. Failing that, and I've recommended this one to others before, how about a nice Acer Liquid? High-end processor (!) albeit with a rather low RAM, upgradeable to 2.1 already, 3.5-in screen with high resolution. Best of all, it's cheap as dirt for the specs it boasts.
  16. HustlinDaily

Or Liquid E. Same phone with 512 megs of memory and 2.1 out of the box.

I will warn you that it us slightly plasticky and creaky but it is a damn good phone at an amazing price.

17. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one too. Isn't the Liquid E more expensive, though? Either way, it's amazingly good for value. Trounces the OP's other choices--Wildfire et al--without even trying. Snapdragon processor for that price is nothing to laugh at.

Re plasticky: to be fair, even Samsung's flagship Android, the Galaxy S, is plasticky. I handled one the other day. It's so, so very plasticky. The backside is pretty much fingerprint magnet. Go go go soft-touch plastic and teflon coating.
  18. tommygun

tommygun Active Member

In the end, I opted for the HTC Magic (known as "mytouch" in the US).

The winning point over the very appealing Wildfire (beside the fact that the Magic is available NOW) was the higher res of the screen, that should lead to higher app compatibility.

The lower price played a role, too... ;)

Thanks to everyone for the hints!
  19. Astridax93

Astridax93 Well-Known Member

Bluenova, that really isn't true. Initially the Samsung Galaxy S was launched on Vodafone, then after a couple of months it came to other networks. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it does. Iphone was limited to 02 for two years.
  20. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Yes the UK has a similar model to the US but is less restrictive. This is not the case for most of Europe.