• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Idea - apps concierge

Amrov

Aug 6, 2010
Texas
Has anyone heard of an apps concierge service? My husband is often frustrated wanting new functions on his phone but he has no time to search and test apps. I do some for him but I'm busy too. We were thinking it would be great for someone to offer a service to: 1) go find apps that meet certain stated requirements and test them and provide specific instructions for successful install and configuration; 2) if no suitable apps exist, use connections with developers to suggest them and help bring them to market if feasible. I could also see giving the concierge lifestyle parameters and having the concierge provide a list of user-specific must-have apps.

This forum is a wonderful free service and the help is amazing and more than enough for most people. The concierge we envision would provide prompt, one to one service for a small fee (donation). I could see developers giving kickbacks for recommendations, but the concierge would have to maintain integrity.

Maybe we're crazy... Anyone think this would be useful? And no, I'm not volunteering. Just planting the seed for perhaps an enterprising someone.

Something like that could quickly get out of hand, though, for the 50,000 requests that people have for apps that do something very particular - even if you're just using email to connect people, you'll be driving a ton of traffic and need to devote a lot of time to it, and if it is free, then you're eating into your money=making time (aka job).

As for application recommendations, well, I scour the market myself once a week or so, and use AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market - you can't get any better than that.

Between AppBrain and this forum, I am pretty set for apps - and I should be, I have over 170 user installed apps on my DROID.....

Upvote 0
If I were doing something like that, I better get paid better than an arbitrary "donation." $0.5 for spending three hours looking for that one particular app and testing it and writing up a tutorial? Yeesh. With that said, like other forum users, I'd be pretty happy to recommend apps if you give us what you're looking for. But sitting down to test and then give you tutorials on how to get the most out of them is asking a little much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones