Ideas for switching from Droid to IncredibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone have any good suggestions for switching from a Droid to an Incredible when they come out?

My situation:

I'm less than 6 months into my contract with the Droid. No other phones active with VZW at this time, so I'm not eligible for any upgrades, etc. I originally got an Eris and had that for 60 days but turned it in because it was laggy and buggy. It was my second Eris in those 60 days.

I love everything about the Droid...except the form factor. I've had no issues with the phone, I've been rooted since I got it and love it completely. But it has no Sense UI and has that godawful keyboard, and it's heavy. I've been waiting for a comparable or better Sense / HTC phone and here it is.

Other than buying the Incredible off contract, switching it in and selling the Droid on Ebay, any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

That sounds like your best bet.

3. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

There really isn't much leeway if you're still within the first half of your contract.

4. longdaddy

longdaddy Well-Known Member

Add a line for 9.99 then pay the earley termination fee it might be 350 now but still cheaper then buying the phone at retail

5. miniSQ

miniSQ Well-Known Member

add a second line to your contract...switch your number to the Incredible and then sub lease your primary line to a trusted friend.

6. Needsdecaf

What about the second half? It might be November by the time the incredible gets here!!! LOL.

And to the rest of you, the add-a-line makes sense. Too bad my dad re-upped at the same time, damnit. And the wife doesn't need a phone.

But some good thoughts, keep 'em coming!

7. Needsdecaf

Another great (albeit not that much $$) idea from another thread. This could be cheaper than paying the contract break fee.

Too bad it's not still $175...

8. ZRock

ZRock Active Member

Best idea...? Open a completely new line, get your gorgeous new superphone. Then pull an ancient 2g phone out of the closet, or something like an old 3g phone. Go to your online account and update your brand NEW line to the old phone you have, aka no smartphone data plan. Then put your new incredible on your current droid line.

TL:DR Recap
    1. You get incredible at 2yr pricing.
    2. You only pay an extra ~$240, aka 9.99/mo for the dummy line.
    3. If you happen to find a friend who wants a droid/vzw service, do a transfer of service to get the spare line off your account and sell them the droid slightly cheaper than the 199 2yr pricing...

Any questions, pm as usual!
    Zach

9. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

you really don't have a ton of options here. you could wait a few weeks and see if someone throws one up on CL...or the market place here.

10. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

The retail price will probably be close to the N1 (guess) and I'm sure the phone will cost around $200. So you want him to pay $550, plus $10 for the first month, plus an activation fee.

11. jasonmac4490

jasonmac4490 Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Still have over a year on my contract. Got an Imagio (blegh) a few months ago. I was stupid. Now this beauty comes out and I just HAVE to have it. Both of my brothers have iPhones and I want to see their faces as I pull this baby out and laugh at their tiny, destroyed iPhone souls.

Another way to do it, or atleast the way I was thinking of doing it was going to letstalk.com (I've used it, it's a reliable site) and you can trade in your phone and it will reduce the cost of the phone you're trying to buy. My Imagio would get me ~$150 deducted off a new, full retail device.

12. xmonkey

xmonkey Well-Known Member

+1 on the selling the Droid on eBay/CL and pick up the Incredible off-contract. Easiest way and probably saves you the most money.

13. jasonmac4490

jasonmac4490 Member

Could always try one of them penny auction sites lol.

14. kennyyu

kennyyu Well-Known Member

I would just add another line for 9.99 and buy the incredible at a 1 year contract price. probably 70$ more than the 2yr contract price. Which would translate to 190$ extra over the year. if you sell your droid, it'll probably cover that cost at least