Identifying Battery Use

Last Updated:

1. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My battery is lasting me about six hours at best, though granted I am probable quite a heavy user. Thing is, I can see that my handset is never going to sleep (uptime currently 20:09:50, awake time 20:09:50) and I wonder how to go about identifying which application I have that is possibly keeping it awake.

As quite a heavy user, it is pretty impractical for me to wipe the phone and then start installing my apps one per day. It'll take me almost a month to get back to where I am now. So I wondered if there was an app that would possibly tell me what is keeping the phone awake?

My battery use stats say:

Cell Standby = 32%
    WiFi = 24%
    Phone Idle = 21%
    Android System = 17%
    Display = 6%

Though this is now, in the morning, having re-booted 20 hours ago and trying to not do anything much since then.

Advertisement
  2. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Someone did mention in another post about a problem with Flikr stopping the phone from sleeping. I'm never off my phone and I need to charge once a day too. I've turned off Flikr sync today to see if it improves. The thread was called something like 'batteries batteries argh....' and there was another way to see what the usage is.

3. brykins

Cheers - have no Flikr account set up, don't have it (or Facebook) available in the Photos app (have disabled them both). I have no weather sync or stocks sycing (no money to buy stocks and I look out of the window for weather).

I have a lot of communications stuff running so I guess it is one of either Twidroid, Ebuddy, Facebook or K-9 Mail that might be the culprit, but losing them and adding them back one at a time will be painful. Guess it needs to be done though.

4. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Download Spare Parts from the market. In that app there is a battery usage section. Check the 'partial wake' section in there to identify anything that isn't letting your phone sleep.
    Hope that helps.

5. brykins

Bingo. Ebuddy has a full blue bar in that section, K-9 has a tiny, tiny bit and everything else is clear. Think that may be it.

6. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Sounds like it. If you click on each item in the list, it will tell you the time it has kept the phone awake for.

7. brykins

It was eBuddy for sure. Removed it and re-booted. Up time now 1:47:04 and awake time 0:30:05 and I have been on Twitter and texting.

Now to work out a way to get my MSN, Gtalk and AIM back on my phone and NOT eating my battery.