• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Idiot's Guide: Flashing PRLs on the Precedent

I believe that the issue is actually that some modded ROMS will not supply the Diagnostic Driver on the USB. I rooted and installed GB2.0, and the phone no longer provides the Diagnostic Serial Port. I confirmed this by using the same methodology with a stock phone. Apparently the GB ROM does not provide the full functionality. Only the Samsung Android USB Modem shows up.

I also checked the drivers, and USB connection history, and that also confirms that my Custom ROM phone simply no longer provides the Diagnostic Serial Port on the USB.

Hope this helps provide some direction. Open to suggestions.

Upvote 0
I love how the trolls made it so this post only has 2 stars, I am seriously considering removing all my posts from Android Forums. I have never seen a forum with this many children and trolls. Seems like only a few people here really appreciate the help and services we provide completely for free. Hadley seems worth the effort to even try on AF.

Upvote 0
To change your phone to DM mode for gingerbread
__a)Dial ##7678#
__b)Enter your MSL
__c)Select DM and your phone should reboot in DM mode

Ok Now we are ready to go:

Connect you phone with the USB Cable.

Put your phone in USB Debug Mode: Settings -> Applications -> development -> USB Debugging

Are these also the steps needed to be taken before doing "anything" via cdma workshop?

Upvote 0
This is just what I've been looking for!!
I have a Samsung Straight Talk (Verizon) that I just replaced with a (Sprint) Precedent.
I do not get a signal any where in my area on the new phone, and ST says that they cannot "flash" my phone, therefore I have to purchase another one.

I will def. use the PRL from previous phone and try my hand at "FLASHING"....Ah, ha, ha, ha..Ah, ha, ha, ha.....(feelin a lil wicked now)

THANKS for all the good info....you are,... simply put,... way to informed! :)
(Im Im way to glad that you are!)

Upvote 0
I don't get port COM5 I get Samsung Android USB Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM) on COM20 and they say COM20 in just for registered version only so I can't connect. Why am I getting COM20 and not COM5 like xPureEvilx?
It really depends on your computer. You can change the COM port in Device Manager to whatever you want as long as it isn't in use

I tried to download cdma-workshop via the link you provided, i downloaded demo and the gethardware id files and when i try to open them it wont, what do i need to open them with?
You may want to try the program listed in the link below. This is what I use to change prls on my prevail and it may help you. Just follow the instructions for your phone. http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...al-easy-prl-change-without-using-cdma-ws.html

Upvote 0
Can I use any PRLs or just the provided ones? I found a site that has some for Cricket, Boost, MetroPCS, etc.
Any for Sprint. (PRLs are network-specific.) Whether the one you choose will work, or work better than the one you have now, is something no one can tell you in advance. It depends on the PRL and your location.

Upvote 0
when i click read on CDMA workshop it says the device is not responding. i beleive its because im not really in DM like i thought. i had to use Script manager but like i said, it doesnt seem to work. and i cant dial the number to turn it on because it says the code or number is incorrect. so is there any other way to turn diagnostic mode on? im also running CM7 if that is important. im very new to roms and flashing prls.

Upvote 0
I am trying to read the settings off my precedent with DFS to back them up so I can try other providers like Page Plus and Cricket. I want to backup all my Straight Talk Settings then I can switch back anytime I want to come back. Problem is DFS shows it is Unlocked when I send the SPC but it cant read any of the info. Is there something else I need to do? I have also been able to read the PRL from it and flash PRL files using CDMA Workshop 2.7 but I cant read the info there either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones