• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Idiot's Guide: Samsung Galaxy Precedent

Hey everybody, I just clicked on the contact us and send the webmaster a request to create a separate forum for the precedent and they did! Now Samsung Galaxy Precedent has his own forum!

Also I used the odin image from davew41 and it works great!! at first I couldn't download apps and it was giving me some errors about gtalk but after doing a factory reset (like someone suggested) it works great! Thank you very much davew41.
You are very Welcome
My new Samsung galaxy S (old version will be here tomorrow) soI hope my work for the Precedent helps more people out
:)

Upvote 0
actually tbh most of teh stuff from shabbymod should be portable.. whats throwing you guys for a look is gunna be /system/framework

i bet if someone takes teh time to deodex it and replace the framework folder in shabbymod 0.9 loaded with it youd have a working version :)

thats justa quick guess as i really dont know off teh top of my head. are you guys also doing a factory reset after flashing the rom?

i tried to DEODEX my precedent today and bricked the damn thing.. had to reflash it with the odin to get it back to working... THANK GOD for that one... anyway.. i am still playing with it to see what i can and can't remove odex wise so we can free up some space anyway...

This Post should be Stickied.. Just Sayin...

Reactions: Rebecca928
Upvote 0
I flashed my Precedent with odin, it's all rooted, busybox and superuser are installed, all is fine... Until yesterday when I plugged my phone into the wall charger and got this message "Cannot charge incompatible battery, see user manual". Im curious if maybe something the odin image messed something up? When my phone boots it says Boost Mobile, but does that actually mean anything? Is it possible that this would have any effect on if my battery is detected as being compatible? I tried plugging it in to my laptop usb, same thing. It does charge when the phone is completely off as far as i can see, but thats really inconvenient. I dropped my phone from a lofted bed onto a desk below while it was charging and then it started this not charging thing, could that have affected it? I know that is more likely than something with the odin image, and im in no way blaming this image for my phones problem.

Sorry for rambling and any incoherence in that post... :)

I also dropped my phone from the couch to the carpeted floor and I too started to get this error that my battery was not compatible.. I took my battery out .. waited a minute and put it back in n so far "knock on wood" it has been fine... lol

Upvote 0
THis is an endless google error with no resolve do a search on any of the search engines and you will get 90000000000000000000000000 ways to fix it..
I had this issue as well ONLY when i returned home where my signal was not that good
All day at work I would be fine then on the ride home and at home I would get this error..
What i did?
I went to gmail and made a NEW gmail account
then i added that account to the pone and went into google talk icon itself and signed on from there..
I left that account on the phone and had no issues..
AGAIN search this error on any search engines and ALSO HERE and you will find there is no dam fix for it..
this is one of those GREAT Droid issues that google has yet to resolve

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/343144-google-talk-authentication-failed.html

http://androidforums.com/nexus-supp...authentication-error-google-apps-account.html

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...409235-google-talk-authentication-failed.html
http://androidforums.com/2773845-post17.html

so as you see this has nothing to do with the rooting of your phone..

I too rooted my phone with the post that davew posted and I also had the same problem, I searched and searched and what I found that worked was I downloaded and installed cache mate. and went to settings applications -manage applications- market , google etc and cleared all of the data for each and it has been 5 days no probs!

Upvote 0
I too rooted my phone with the post that davew posted and I also had the same problem, I searched and searched and what I found that worked was I downloaded and installed cache mate. and went to settings applications -manage applications- market , google etc and cleared all of the data for each and it has been 5 days no probs!

Easier Way to fix it, instead of cache mate, which takes up much needed space for other stuff hold Volup, camera and hit power will take u to recovery mode you can clear all cache and even factory reset from there, (Factory Reset will not UNROOT your phone) no worries there...

Upvote 0
Easier Way to fix it, instead of cache mate, which takes up much needed space for other stuff hold Volup, camera and hit power will take u to recovery mode you can clear all cache and even factory reset from there, (Factory Reset will not UNROOT your phone) no worries there...

I did this and it fixed my problem, too!

I have been running rooted for 2 days and so far so good. Been reading about flashing a prl that will allow roaming and improve signal strength.

Upvote 0
I truly don't know why IA this one click out released. Its a waste of time. Plus if u don't know how to Odin u shouldn't be rooting and instead u should be reading and educating yourself.

Odin image worked fine. Also had the g.talk broblem AND the insufficient storage problem, both fixed with a fatory reset.

BTW factory reset does NOT unroot this phone.

Upvote 0
here is what i tried to make for precident owners rooted stock image all files included usb driver odin and all
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/375550-odin-5.html#post3257263

this should give you a stock PRECEDENT image with ROOT access..
Give it a shot and report back
Dave,
I downloaded your image and now I have no service. I have done a factory reset and I have dont the vol up - camera- power on and cleared the cache as well as a factory reset from that option as well and still nothing. I have re-downloaded the image twice from the mega upload site, I have downloaded both images to the phone twice, and I have also included the boot.rar file twice. At this point all I have is a near brick that re-loads itself about every 5 minutes. Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
Dave,
I downloaded your image and now I have no service. I have done a factory reset and I have dont the vol up - camera- power on and cleared the cache as well as a factory reset from that option as well and still nothing. I have re-downloaded the image twice from the mega upload site, I have downloaded both images to the phone twice, and I have also included the boot.rar file twice. At this point all I have is a near brick that re-loads itself about every 5 minutes. Any Ideas?

Large image Click

325c912f.png

Archive by murderousone
Factory Straight Talk Precedent Root

Original post in:
http://androidforums.com/3260596-post239.html

Upvote 0
Yes, I read and followed the directions (with the exception that I selected the SCH-M282C.OPS file and not the one in the readme file). I think my problem is that the phone now shows 'unknown' for the baseband and model numbers but I honestly do not remember what the phone had for these values before the download was done. First question, are the baseband and model number fields the problem and if yes how would I go about changing the baseband and model number shown on the 'about the phone' screen and to what should they be changed? Second question, should the download update have changed these fields or is something else up with the baseband and model number fields?

Upvote 0
Yes, I read and followed the directions (with the exception that I selected the SCH-M282C.OPS file and not the one in the readme file). I think my problem is that the phone now shows 'unknown' for the baseband and model numbers but I honestly do not remember what the phone had for these values before the download was done. First question, are the baseband and model number fields the problem and if yes how would I go about changing the baseband and model number shown on the 'about the phone' screen and to what should they be changed? Second question, should the download update have changed these fields or is something else up with the baseband and model number fields?

1) They are indeed part of the problem as your "prop" are missing in the obvious areas and more still in the one you are NOT able to see via the GUI.

2) No. The file Davew41 compiled did not change "prop" just added SUPERUSER.

LOL,, ikr the Readme was not 100% accurate.. left some unfortunate wiggle room.

Im near the end of my helpfulness. But it sounds as if you build.prop file got corrupted thus populating blank baseband values as well as the other values.

Correct Values
163f6bb7.png

IDK what to tell you other than perhaps you can take it back WW and replace., or wait till the REAL smart ppl make your acquaintance, offering you a method to realize satisfaction..

I can not fathom why the same package we used successfully, has rendered your phone inoperable.

What can you do with this phone, before the resets? Do you get the generic Blue Trackphone splash screen starting up the device?If you dont see the Trackphone splash screen then something is wrong with the loaded image.

In any case, Let's just start from scratch:
Delete all previous ODIN images, and get the one Murderousone archived. You will not have to go via Mega wait timer Just Click and save to Desktop, 7zip>Open archive>Make Folder>Extract

BTW.. I never had to use the Boot.tar
only because ..as the directions hinted. only use if things get really messed up.

The directions are not there as to what sequence of what other files you are to use w/ Boot.tar..so you might experiment again.

IE Boot.tar alone
reset
then follow directions assuming proper order.

Thanks for responding and good luck!

032d60e7.png

Upvote 0
I did mine with Odin, everything worked great. I got the Authentication thing going on. after playing around, and my windows sense kicked in. I found my date and time were wrong. I went into settings and set everything to manual settings, corrected the date and time, restarted to phone and Viola. It all works now.

The Windows Sense: When your having trouble with updates downloading, Check your date<<<< Past experience

Upvote 0
1) They are indeed part of the problem as your "prop" are missing in the obvious areas and more still in the one you are NOT able to see via the GUI.

2) No. The file Davew41 compiled did not change "prop" just added SUPERUSER.

LOL,, ikr the Readme was not 100% accurate.. left some unfortunate wiggle room.

Im near the end of my helpfulness. But it sounds as if you build.prop file got corrupted thus populating blank baseband values as well as the other values.

Correct Values
163f6bb7.png

IDK what to tell you other than perhaps you can take it back WW and replace., or wait till the REAL smart ppl make your acquaintance, offering you a method to realize satisfaction..

I can not fathom why the same package we used successfully, has rendered your phone inoperable.

What can you do with this phone, before the resets? Do you get the generic Blue Trackphone splash screen starting up the device?If you dont see the Trackphone splash screen then something is wrong with the loaded image.

In any case, Let's just start from scratch:
Delete all previous ODIN images, and get the one Murderousone archived. You will not have to go via Mega wait timer Just Click and save to Desktop, 7zip>Open archive>Make Folder>Extract

BTW.. I never had to use the Boot.tar
only because ..as the directions hinted. only use if things get really messed up.

The directions are not there as to what sequence of what other files you are to use w/ Boot.tar..so you might experiment again.

IE Boot.tar alone
reset
then follow directions assuming proper order.

Thanks for responding and good luck!

032d60e7.png

I downloaded the file you pointed to. It was the same as my previous download but I tried it using every possible combination and still nothing.
I do not think it is the build.proc because I used the sdk and copied my build.proc to my windows system and edited it. It looks fine, there does not apear to be anything corupted like ro.baseband=#@$%!&*, in fact there is no mention of baseband in there at all. As a sanity check it would be VERY helpful if someone could post a copy of their Precedent's build.proc file just so that I can make sure nothing has been deleted or otherwise hosed. From what else I have been able to gleen from other post around the internet it seems that the baseband operand is set in the init.rc (at least some other model phones). I do not have a Linux system and when I copied the init.rc file to my windows system it seems to have a lot of non printable chars in it. Is there a 'special' editor or init.rc build module that I need in order to see what the init.rc file has in it? On the Precedent is the init.rc file the right place to be looking for where the baseband= field is set? If the field is not set in the init.rc file would it be possible to add it to the build.proc file and initalize it that way? What numbers are going to win the powerball loter this Wednesday? If I get a correct answer to that one then I can just use this brick for target practice and get anotherone that works.

Upvote 0
Straight talk is what im gonna have to end up getting because boost mobile doesnt have as great of reception than i thought itd have. when i saw that they'll have this phone i was happy because im used to this now, and its android. just sucks that shabbymod wont work on it, but that just means i'll have to try and tinker with it.

Sorry...your post was a while back so this may be useless. I own the Samsung galaxy precedent android from straight talk. Most places I have great reception...except where I use it most. Go figure. This particular android happens to run off of sprint's towers (other phones of theirs run off verizon's towers= GREAT reception) and they aren't exactly the greatest around here reception-wise. ** CAUTION: Look into how good of reception the sprint company gets in your area before purchasing this phone** other than my slight reception issue I love this phone. I am going to try the antenna booster sticker thing to see if it improves it any. Hopes this helped you...if not I hope it helps somebody.

Upvote 0
I am going to try the antenna booster sticker thing to see if it improves it any. Hopes this helped you...if not I hope it helps somebody.
Jenny, that's the greatest piece of non-science that's been invented in the past 50 years. If it actually worked, every cellphone manufacturer would include the loop as part of the phone - it wouldn't add more than a couple of pennies to the cost. (The stickers cost about 3 cents each in the quantities the stores buy them in.) If you haven't bought one yet, save your money.

Maybe ST will come out with a nice Android GSM phone and then we can all be on AT&T's towers. I'd pay more for a fast dual core with more RAM, and take a loss on my Precedent.

Upvote 0
Since Megaupload probably won't be coming back, I put Killing Me Softly, rtto and the x86 drivers on my site for download. Samsung Precedent Rooting Files

You can click on the link (or the QR code) or use the QR reader in your phone.

If anyone needs the 64 bit drivers, let me know and I'll add them (although Windows 7 seems to find what it needs all by itself).

If the QR codes are too close together, let me know here and I'll redo the page.

(No comments on the page, please. Yes, I know how to make a nice page, I do it for a living, but this one works.)

I have plenty of room on that site, so if you need anything else for the Precedent that's not in the Market or on Amazon, let me know and if I can find it I'll put it up.

Enjoy.

Reactions: justinakay
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones