1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Idiots guide to terminology?

1. Skatekitten

Skatekitten Member

I've got a Galaxy S3 which is my second android phone. I'm ashamed to say I haven't been doing my mobile justice and have just been a mainstream user and haven't got around to learning about the more technical side of things.

Problem is, I now know terminology such as 'odin', 'flash' and 'rooting' however I cannot seem to find out exactly what they mean. Is there an idiots guide to this sort of stuff somewhere?

Advertisement
    :
  2. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide

I just wrote a reply for this but then remembered we have some info here all in one thread :p

Take a look here - http://androidforums.com/internatio...e-last-updated-09-june-2012-12-05-pm-gmt.html which is the information about rooting on a Galaxy S3. There is lots of helpful stuff there :)

I don't think Odin is mentioned: Odin is a piece of software for Windows computers that lets you update or flash parts or all of the system. It is an internal piece of software used by Samsung but it has been leaked and is now used by a lot of people. This is what you use initially to root the device, and if you are say on an older firmware version and a new one has come out, you can download the new one, connect your phone into your pc with odin and update it.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

4. Skatekitten

Skatekitten Member

This sounds like what I need to do. So how do I go about getting odin onto my machine? Is it something I can download from the Samsung website or something?
  5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

i think you need a specific type of phone to use Odin. much the same or similar thing can be done with the Android SDK or adb tools.