• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IE only? Windows programs? HUH?!

I finally got around to buying a smart phone to replace my cell phone. I'm a Linux-only person and specifically shopped for an Android OS phone. I made it a point NOT to buy a windoze or even Apple based phone. Okay, great, so my Bravo arrived a couple days ago and I love it...but...

For one thing, as soon as I started exploring its file system [via USB connection to one of my computers], I saw something shocking: windoze programs. Huh? What the heck are windoze programs doing on my Android? :eek:

Next, I just used its "phone portal" feature to access it via browser from one of my computers. Note that I use SeaMonkey (the older sibling of Firefox) as my browser and, as I said, I'm Linux-only. So I connect via my browser and start poking around. From the dashboard I choose "File Manager" and am HORRIFIED to get this message: "File manager access supported on Internet Explorer only" WTF?! :thinking:

Did I somehow make a mistake? I thought Android was Linux-based. If it is, what is up with all this windoze-related garbage?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones