• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

if 2.1 wipes it totally...

shoot-head-courtesy-special-effects-200X200.jpg

Upvote 0
Appbrain Market Sync backs up your apps list and has a bunch of other features. You can use their web interface to set up app downloads or remove apps from your phone. After the upgrade or a hard reset you would only need to reinstall Appbrain to your handset and then the web interface can cue up the rest for you.

As for contacts, you have an android device. I can't see why you wouldn't sync all your contacts to your google account and let them reload on their own.
I set up a contact group in my account called "Hero". This is the only group I sync. This way I don't have to keep EVERY contact I email on my phone (a couple hundred). Just the ones I want.

I'd love to find a way to backup my scenes and homescreens if anyone's got an idea.

Upvote 0
Appbrain Market Sync backs up your apps list and has a bunch of other features. You can use their web interface to set up app downloads or remove apps from your phone. After the upgrade or a hard reset you would only need to reinstall Appbrain to your handset and then the web interface can cue up the rest for you.

As for contacts, you have an android device. I can't see why you wouldn't sync all your contacts to your google account and let them reload on their own.
I set up a contact group in my account called "Hero". This is the only group I sync. This way I don't have to keep EVERY contact I email on my phone (a couple hundred). Just the ones I want.

I'd love to find a way to backup my scenes and homescreens if anyone's got an idea.

I believe MyBackup backs up the home screen. However, I have never tried restoring them, so not sure how well it works.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, the program also lets you rearrange your bookmarks in whatever order you want.

omg! Live Bookmarks is the BOMB!

it does a LOT of things! this is what i've been looking for!

i hate how the htc/sense bookmarks widget doesn't allow you to sort by alpha - it only arranges bookmarks based on date
: (

i've learned to "force" my bookmarks to appear in the order i want them to (at least in the bookmarks view in the browser - not the htc widget on the homescreen) i pre-pended the names all of my bookmarks (A01 - slashdot, A02 - [next], ... zz - sprint crap)

live bookmarks sorts your bookmarks anyway you like - AS WELL AS back them up

(remains to be seen how well it restores though! we'll see after the 2.1 update...)

htc widget is going "bye bye" and live bookmarks is in!

(frees up a whole page in my home screen!w00t!)

Upvote 0
Ok so how exactly do I sync all my contact on my phone to my gmail account?

I went into gmail on my computer and made a contacts group called "HTC Hero" I then went into each contact on my phone and added them to the group "HTC Hero" from the selection menu.

I then unchecked and rechecked the gmail and contacts option on the "Data Synchronization" option on my phone.

After both of these were done syncing up, I went into my gmail account on my computer, and my HTC Hero group still shows 0 contacts.

So how do I do this correctly so I don't have to worry about writing down everyones number out of my phone?

Thanks,
Whiteice

Upvote 0
Ok so how exactly do I sync all my contact on my phone to my gmail account?

I went into gmail on my computer and made a contacts group called "HTC Hero" I then went into each contact on my phone and added them to the group "HTC Hero" from the selection menu.

I then unchecked and rechecked the gmail and contacts option on the "Data Synchronization" option on my phone.

After both of these were done syncing up, I went into my gmail account on my computer, and my HTC Hero group still shows 0 contacts.

So how do I do this correctly so I don't have to worry about writing down everyones number out of my phone?

Thanks,
Whiteice

interesting

you did everything i would do

except... i do everything on my computer (it just "miracles" onto my cell ph)

you're going the opposite direction - you're going from phone to gmail (cloud)

when you look at the "type" of contact - is it "phone" or "google"?

(ie - in the People app, look on the right hand side of each entry - what does it say?)

i've heard that once a contact is created, you can't change "type"

in fact, check that out - in the People app, create an "AAAtest" contact (so it shows up on top and you don't have to search for it) - when you're creating a new contact, notice where the first drop-down under Name - it says "Contact Type" - that's what i'm talking about

i suspect that's what is going on

to fix this, i think you've got to export your contacts into a CSV on your desktop, then upload those to your gmail acct

THEN they'll show up in your phone

might have to wipe all your contacts out of your phone first, then export from outlook and upload to gmail - then sync over the air to your phone

(i think you can import a CSV from your desktop into gmail directly into a group - i would say that would "probably" be your hero group!);p

whew! what a pain in the &^%$!

Upvote 0
There is also mybookmarks

by reware.com.

Haven't used it, but it supposedly syncs with IE, Chrome and Firefox bookmarks on your PC.

i looked at that - but in the comments ppl said it didn't support folders - and the interaction with chrome (of all things!) wasn't "smooth"

that sux cuz i work heavily in chrome and i use folders heavily

so i opted to forego

(also, i don't necessarily WANT all of my desktop favs on my cellph!)

if anyone else has a different experience, let us know!

Upvote 0
interesting

you did everything i would do

except... i do everything on my computer (it just "miracles" onto my cell ph)

you're going the opposite direction - you're going from phone to gmail (cloud)

when you look at the "type" of contact - is it "phone" or "google"?

(ie - in the People app, look on the right hand side of each entry - what does it say?)

i've heard that once a contact is created, you can't change "type"

in fact, check that out - in the People app, create an "AAAtest" contact (so it shows up on top and you don't have to search for it) - when you're creating a new contact, notice where the first drop-down under Name - it says "Contact Type" - that's what i'm talking about

i suspect that's what is going on

to fix this, i think you've got to export your contacts into a CSV on your desktop, then upload those to your gmail acct

THEN they'll show up in your phone

might have to wipe all your contacts out of your phone first, then export from outlook and upload to gmail - then sync over the air to your phone

(i think you can import a CSV from your desktop into gmail directly into a group - i would say that would "probably" be your hero group!);p

whew! what a pain in the &^%$!

Well doesn't that suck @ss lol.

So instead of adding contacts directly on my phone, I have to add them via gmail on the computer, and then they will appear?

That is so damn frustrating because I have switched between my gmail contact and phone contacts via my cell phone and there are so many people in my gmail contacts that I just dont want on my phone.

So if I am understanding you correctly, I am basically going to have to go ahead and enter each contact into a gmail group and then eventually that group will show up on my cell phone, and then I just use that contact group as my list on the phone?

This just seems so ass backwards doesn't it? And it freaking irritates me if this is really the only way of backing up my contacts that I put directly in my phone.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*EDIT* Ok, so I did 2 things here. On my phone, I created a contact called AAATest. I assigned it to the group that I created on gmail on the computer called "HTC Hero" It never sync'd into that group on gmail on the computer after I created it and resyncd. It did show up obviously as a contact on my phone, but again, didn't back up to my gmail.

I then made a contact on my gmail account via the computer in the group called "HTC Hero" called AAAATest. Once I did that and resyncd, and then changed my contact list on my HTC Hero from Phone to Google, it showed up there, as well as the 200 or so contacts in my "All contacts" list.

So I am still not getting what I want it to do.

So let me ask this, what is the right way to have a group via my gmail account of only the people on my phone so that only this group shows up on my phone and this group will be backed up on my gmail account? I do not want the "My Contacts" showing up on my phone with the phone contacts I add because well there are spam emails in there from people that spammed me and what not. I just want a group with people I want in it and only those people to show up on my phone.

So, how do I go about doing this correctly please?

Thank you for your help,
Whiteice

Upvote 0
ExportContacts(free) in the market will make a .csv of your phone contacts on your sd card that you can import into gmail, saves the syncing and then exporting. I also remember seeing a app to convert phone contacts to gmail, but can't remember the name.....

Well doesn't that suck @ss lol.

So instead of adding contacts directly on my phone, I have to add them via gmail on the computer, and then they will appear?

That is so damn frustrating because I have switched between my gmail contact and phone contacts via my cell phone and there are so many people in my gmail contacts that I just dont want on my phone.

So if I am understanding you correctly, I am basically going to have to go ahead and enter each contact into a gmail group and then eventually that group will show up on my cell phone, and then I just use that contact group as my list on the phone?

This just seems so ass backwards doesn't it? And it freaking irritates me if this is really the only way of backing up my contacts that I put directly in my phone.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Upvote 0
ExportContacts(free) in the market will make a .csv of your phone contacts on your sd card that you can import into gmail, saves the syncing and then exporting. I also remember seeing a app to convert phone contacts to gmail, but can't remember the name.....

Thank you so much. Gonna give this a shot.

When I do this, can I just make a group in gmail called like HTC Hero and then just export it to that group only so only those that I back up will show up on my phone?

Thank you for your help,
Whiteice

Upvote 0
I'm on fresh 2.0d now and I don't have this option that I can find anymore, but try opening People, go to Groups tab, and pressing menu should have the option "Sync Groups".
Press that and it should give the options:
- Sync all contacts
- My Contacts
That is if I remember correctly

Thank you so much. Gonna give this a shot.

When I do this, can I just make a group in gmail called like HTC Hero and then just export it to that group only so only those that I back up will show up on my phone?

Thank you for your help,
Whiteice

Upvote 0
Ok all, sorry to be a pain but this just is not doing what I am wanting to happen.

I did this back up that was suggested, and it backed up not only my phone contacts, but all my gmail contacts into the .csv file. So it said I had 211 contacts saved when on my phone that I entered in myself, there are only like 50.

The next problem.

I went ahead and added the saved .csv file to my gmail and then selected the phone contacts out of the whole list and moved it to my group that I made on gmail called "HTC Hero." Now, how do I go about having only my "HTC Hero" group show up? When I go to my people app and select view, my only choices are phone (51) and google (227)? Is their a way of only having my HTC Hero group show up or am I screwed in having all the gmail contacts show up which is full of contacts I no longer reference? I suppose I could go clean it up, but then what happens when I get future emails from people I don't know and it automatically gets added to the contact list?

It shouldn't be this frustrating to back up my damn phone contacts.

Thank you,
Whiteice

Upvote 0
I went ahead and added the saved .csv file to my gmail and then selected the phone contacts out of the whole list and moved it to my group that I made on gmail called "HTC Hero." Now, how do I go about having only my "HTC Hero" group show up? When I go to my people app and select view, my only choices are phone (51) and google (227)? Is their a way of only having my HTC Hero group show up or am I screwed in having all the gmail contacts show up which is full of contacts I no longer reference? I suppose I could go clean it up, but then what happens when I get future emails from people I don't know and it automatically gets added to the contact list?

Sorry I left out something key in my earlier post. I kinda assumed everyone knew about this already.

Open the People app.
Go to the Groups tab. Hit the Menu button.
Select Sync Groups. Now deselect all but the HTC Hero group.

Next time it syncs up, you should only have the contacts you added to that group.

Thanks to Jonnythan @ sprintusers forum.
Original Thread

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones