If G1 is tethered, can I still make/receive calls?General

Last Updated:

1. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I want to root my G1 for many reasons, but also so that I can kick Verizon and there wireless broadband plan to the curb. However, I also want to be able to make and receive business calls while using my tethered G1 for the internet. Is that going to work ?

If not, the incoming calls would go to VM, of course, right ?

Thanks,
    b.

Advertisement
  2. magicfab

magicfab Member

Hi there

I use Cyanogen Mod since 4.2.6 and USB tethering lets me get and make calls without any issues while using 3G.

3. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

you can do it on T-mobile and At&t, but not Verizon because it's a cdma network.
    however the g1 is a gsm phone meaning you wouldn't be able to use it on verizon anyway,so I'm assuming your post is a typo where you said you're using it on verizon

4. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm the OP
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to cancel my verizon wireless broadband and use my G1 tethered to get my laptop onto the web when not in wifi range. I did not mean to say that I wanted G1 on the verizon network.
    So, can I use a rroted G1 to get my laptop on the web? Will it work whether the laptop is running Linux or do I need to be running windows?

5. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

I haven't actually done it,
    but if I'm correct about how it works, yes you'll be able to do it on whatever laptop as long as the laptop has a working wireless card

6. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

If you have a rooted G1 and are going to tether your laptop (via USB), yes you can do voice calls at the same time.

You do not need a wireless card (if using USB) for the laptop as your phone will be the internet conection.

7. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

my bad, sorry

8. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Well-Known Member

Yes, you will be able to providing you have a 3G connection. I learned about this the other day when I noticed my 3G stayed active while in call. I ran a speed test and was between 600-800. So you should be good. You can use Cyanogens built in tether, but that doesn't support Mac. If you root and are using his mod, the mobentoo store will have a great app I use ALL THE TIME called WIFI tether. Great app for the price. If you are running windows then you will not need it.