"IF" Google subsidizes the phone...

Last Updated:

1. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How long will it be before the "animated background" is transformed into a billboard ?

I can only speculate...but I would imagine this being the primary reason to introduce a "live" background.

Going down this road I could very easily see this being the case , the rooted community hacking the ads out , and Google responding in a not so kind nature.

In any case. I do think thats what they intend to do if not with Nexus that certainly with the next after the U.S gets used to the idea. Just wondering if you guys would consider this ok to get a discounted yet contract free subsidized version.

Advertisement
  2. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

If Google subsidizes the phone, and its a consumer device, you should be prepared for more advertising in Android then you see now. Whether thats the entire background, how knows. Though I doubt it being as you should still be able to set the background. Though you may be able to buy it unsubsidized and not have to deal with any advertising (just a guess).

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't think I would want to use a phone that made my entire background an advertisement. I already go out of my way to avoid ads; recording TV and skipping commercials, keeping AdBlock on when I'm browsing the web. That would just irritate me.

I also don't think Google would go so far as to make your entire phone background an ad. I think even they understand that that's a little bit much.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Google will be careful not to offend, it's how they built their empire. Simple search engine, tiny text ads, and tons and tons of free service.

They are positioning themselves as the company people use for just about everything. I don't think they would shoot themselves in the foot and put giant flash ad backgrounds on the phone (an exageration, but you get my drift). This would destroy one of their major vectors towards ubiquity.

I gather they actually bought adMob so that they could control the level of ads in apps and keep it low.

5. Markdental

Markdental Well-Known Member

I would rather pay to avoid the advertising. Though, I could just see apps being developed to get around that advertising, or the phone being rooted to get around it as well.

6. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

Except google would be relying on the money from advertisers. They may not want to have their ads that small. With only so much space something would have to give. Either Google keeps it small and gets less money (therefore charging more for the phone) or they get more ad money and use bigger ads and keep the phone cost lower.

7. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Google Could Sell Nexus One via SAAS Model - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Theres actually alot on that small article including a potential buying format.
    As far as the ADS go. Sadly its trading one evil for another. Is it worth freeing yourself from carriers to have a phone that will at some point be bogged down with friggin ads ?