If HTC can lift the fps cap, why not address the 90% battery issue?

Last Updated:

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If HTC has fixed a "hardware issue," then why have they not done anything to address the apparent problem of the battery dropping so quickly in the 90s? Is this not a widespread issue? It seems to be on the forums, at least.

Advertisement
  2. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Oh dear can't we even get everyone with the update before more complaining starts?

Either way I've had 5 Android phones between my wife and I and all of them do it. I think its the operating system, IE Android that, causes the problem.

3. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

It's because XDA hasn't found the fix yet, lol.

4. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Did you notice how the EPIC "fixes" it?

5. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Epic fixes what? If so tell me how so I can get my wires phone to do it. Her phone plummets after being unplugged. And she cant make it through a day without being on charge.

6. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Fixes the subject of this thread. It reminds you to unplug it from the charger when it hits 100%. lol.

7. edwelly

edwelly Well-Known Member

My phone easily lasts the whole day. I wonder how you and I use our phones in such a drastic and different ways. For example, I use the golf GPS application, SkyDroid. I played 18 holes this past Sunday and on the back nine, I even left the screen on 100% of the time. When we were finished, I still had 20% battery life left.

8. boriqua2000

boriqua2000 Well-Known Member

my evo goes down to about 85% in 10 minutes after being unplugged.

9. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Folks, you need to understand what the OP is talking about before responding. He's talking about the battery metering/charging issue where the charging alternates on and off when it hits 100%. Depending where you unplug it in the maintenance cycle, you can drop up to 10% very quickly when the device is first unplugged in the morning.

danwlee and JohnJSal like this.
  10. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I'm not experiencing the same issues as you are. I charge it up to 100% and it'll stay there for 30 mins then the decrease to 99% and so on. My battery in general has been lasting me 14+ hrs on moderate usage which for a smartphone is rather high.

11. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

My battery life is HORRIBLE. Lol jk. Take a look.

Unplugged for 24 hours and still had 39 percent left. This was yesterday morning i took the picture. The day before i had pretty decent usage, and i have barely any signal where i live. Then i left it off the charger over night, and in the morning too the pic.
    EDIT: and by the way, i didnt use airplane mode at all. I was sending texts/using yahoo messenger throughout the day, cpuple short calls, little bit of browsing, email. thats about it

[​IMG]

12. malibu23

malibu23 Well-Known Member

yea i hate taking when u take my phone off the charger in the morn, and by the time i leave for work, its at 91-88% in about a half hour. it must cut off and run on the battery when full, but still reads full until u take it off the charger for a few min. sux i been off the chrger for 1:07 and im @ 83%

13. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

and this is an issue for all batteries in the evo (and maybe other android phones), as we have exhibited it with the extended batteries too. our only solutions so far (on here and xda) are to use an external charger to get true 100%

14. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

It's called a "design feature" that's why; it's not a flaw.

The "float charge" is designed to prolong the life of the battery.

15. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. You see this same feature in some laptops these days. For instance, my Lenovo has recommended battery setting where it actually wont even let the battery charge over 90% or drain below 20% (I think those are the actual percentages) to prolong overall battery life.

This is a "design feature" implemented so that after 6 months of use, these forums don't get flooded with people complaining that not only is their battery life not very good, but their battery is actually dead.

I'm far from an expert on these things, but this is my best understanding.

16. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Ditto.

17. JohnJSal

Look guys, I'm not just trying to sound like some whiny complainer. I actually get pretty good battery life on my device. Usually 12-15 hours, sometimes 24+ with light usage (although, oddly, I got about 6 hours before I had to recharge, albeit with about 3 hours usage, but still).

I ask this more because I just want things to work the way they should. I don't like the attitude of "if it's not a problem for you, then don't worry about it." If it *is* a problem, then it's a problem, period.

And I also don't want to be too quick to jump on the "it's a design feature" train and just write it off as they way things are. Who knows, perhaps there *is* something HTC or Google can do to fix the issue.

Is this something we notice on other types of phones (non-Android) with li-ion batteries? If not, then it's probably not the design of the battery.

18. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

what I do is when I wake up and the phone is charged. I then turn it off and the orange light turns on and charges it back to 100%. I do this about 3 times and then start the phone while plugged in. When it's completely booted up, I then unplug and this should solve the issue. It sucks having to do this everyday but what are you gonna do. Htc didn't fix it, so there must be a reason. I can't imagine they don't know about it.

19. aaz110

aaz110 Well-Known Member

My phone did the 10% drop when I first got it (and also had terrible battery life in general). The second day I had it, I did this: xda-developers - View Single Post - Battery problem, try this.

Since then (it's been about 3 1/2 weeks now), my battery no longer does the 10% drop and it easily lasts the whole day with a moderate amount of phone calls, texts, and emails...as well as a decent amount of web browsing and playing games...really the only thing that absolutely kills my battery now is using the navigation, which I plug in for anyway. Hopefully this will help someone..it definitely helped me.

20. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Hey, I get that you're not trying to be a whiny complainer, so I hope you'll understand I'm not trying to be a rude, "whiny complainer" basher. :)

But... you simply misapprehend that there is a "problem," and it is unclear that you would be willing to accept otherwise. Hopefully you appreciate that I spent a good amount of time here trying to correct you -- firmly, but respectfully.

As I explained before, things are working the way they should. Look, this is an engineering and design decision in the same way that the size of the screen, the capacity of the battery, the quality of the audio DSP, the size of the phone are all engineering and design tradeoffs. It's well established knowledge that keeping a battery fully charged will significantly reduce the full lifetime of your lithium ion battery ( see, Lithium Secondary - Rechargeable - Cells ; How to prolong lithium-based batteries )

The engineers at HTC made the engineering call that a floating charge set at where it is would be the best compromise between short-term battery life and long-term battery life goals. In fact, if you observe at the battery university graph, you can in fact boost short term battery life by overcharging a battery to a higher voltage -- an up to 10-15% increase, but this comes at a cost to the overall lifetime, and then you'll have people complaining that HTC designed a phone with batteries that are essentially "disposable."

A trade-off was made here and I'm rather happy between balancing short term and long term battery goals. Our huge 4.3" screens is also a trade off -- much more space at the cost of more consumption. You get some and you lose some. It is hopefully of some reassurance to you that you are getting something in return out of this -- a longer lasting battery.

See this is where you misapprehend. There is no "train," this isn't a BS excuse an HTC rep came up with to placate us and that we naively bought into. This is standard knowledge. Like others echoed, this is a "feature" on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads like the one I own.

There is nothing to "fix" and be certain that what you are asking for will have unintended consequences. Namely, the longevity of your battery will be negatively impacted. You won't even notice it at first or maybe ever, but six months to a year later, you'll be walking around with a battery that has 60-70% of its original capacity and you'll be wondering why the numbers go down so quickly.

I'm willing to bet a large part of the problem here is perception. On all the phones I've had prior to the past year or two, the only way you could read battery life is by a little battery icon that had about 3 or 4 segments. You were either "full", "mostly full", "about half way", or "gone". Android and other new smartphones are new in that they offer a percent by percent level of granularity to the reading.

This is significant because before, you would take your flip phone off the charger and walk around for few hours and be satisfied that the meter was still completely topped off, but it was illusory: it could be anywhere from say 80% to 95% full, but you'd never know. Now with Android you can see a 10% drop in a short span and freak out where before, you were blissfully happy in ignorance.

Furthermore, people put way too much emphasis on a battery reading. It will be disappointing to know that it's not a precise science or measurement. The granularity of each individual percent is illusory because often times, the capabilities for measurement are not that accurate.

Measuring a battery, especially with the low tech equipment in our phones and phone batteries is trying to hit a moving target: While you're using a battery, it's maximum capacity diminishes with age. Though the phone and the internal measurements try to adjust and compensate for it, how each battery ages is unique and individual... which is why some devices allow you to calibrate the battery in an attempt to get a more accurate reading.

21. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

@NeoteriX: +1. That was a fine post. A LOT of people out there could use the explanation given here.

Dead-on correct with the Li-ion conditioning. The worst possible combo for the battery is a full charge and high temp.

Once I learned about this and seen the charts that show how drastic the capacity is affected, I set my laptop (which is almost always at home and plugged in) to charge between 20-35%, and I make sure it's in a well-ventilated area to keep things cool. My laptop battery is now 5 years old and still has 90% of its original capacity.

Dead-on correct with the battery meter. Full, somewhat full, somewhat empty, and empty is what most battery indicators show, so there's no way to prove by indicator alone if the behavior on the Evo is common. But for sure, the Evo's charging behavior functions as designed, and it doesn't need to be changed.

22. TT_Vert

TT_Vert Well-Known Member

What app is this to display batter like that?

Dave.

23. JohnJSal

Well, I understand exactly what you are saying, I guess it's just hard for me to accept that it's normal. For example, this morning I unplugged my phone and plugged in back in (just for kicks) and the LED stayed green, so I figured, ok weird, it must be "fully" charged. But I left it plugged in for another 30 minutes anyway.

After unplugging it and leaving it off the charger for 1h59m, and with 1h58m being completely idle, my battery widget now shows 87%. I just can't believe that's normal, and it's pretty sad if it is.

Honestly, I think you are right about this. I was thinking this the other day, actually. About how I've never had a battery widget that reports the exact percentage prior to this phone, so I've always seen the very vague "segment" indicators. Even the native HTC battery icon (and the bar in the battery status options) makes things look better than the actual number that my Quick Battery widget does.

24. Hawaii Tom

Hawaii Tom Member

I believe that app with the percentage in Notifications is Battery Status Pro. It looks like mine.

25. aimee2691

aimee2691 New Member

If you read in the manual that comes with the phone, its states that it will not continuously charge the phone when plugged in. Once the phone has reached a full 100% charge it stops charging. It will not begin charging the phone again until it is unplugged and then plugged in again. Unlike most other phones which will start charging again. So when you plug it in at night to charge, its NOT charging that whole time. When it hits 100% it stops and is then in sleep mode, allowing the battery to be used.

I usually will unplug it when I wake up and then plug it back in while I get ready for work to top it off. I get anywhere from 14-18hrs of high to moderate usage.

Hope this helps!