1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

If I buy a Sprint EVO 4G NEW with a Clean ESN?

1. Stoowyguy

Stoowyguy Member

Hi, my name is Cory. I have a question regarding the Android Phone HTC EVO 4G 3D phone. If I bought a Evo 3D phone off of Ebay or Criegslist and it says that it has a clean ESN. Will I be able to use it like a iPod touch, meaning no 3g or 4g network just connect to wifi without paying for a contract. Or it Popping up NO SIM OR ACTIVATE NOWWW

Advertisement
    :
  2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Yeah you should be able to use it on wifi and have no issues.
    Stoowyguy likes this.
  3. Stoowyguy

Stoowyguy Member

So it would say like activate or anything
  4. brody8898

brody8898 Active Member

Actually Cory. If your only goal is to use it as an iPod Touch then you could buy one with a bad esn much cheaper. The esn of a Sprint phone only comes into play if you try and activate it.

A couple of thoughts though, since I own a EVO 4G:

-The battery life on these devices pale in comparison to the battery life of a iPod Touch, so if you plan on using it a lot in an area with no power outlets or something then I would look elsewhere.

-The good new though, regardless of the esn being good or bad, you may still use "google voice" over a wifi network. That means that even if the esn is bad if you have wifi, you have an active phone.

So to answer your question. Yes. You may use a HTC EVO (good or bad esn) as an iPod Touch, among other things.
  5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Battery should be better on one that is not activated as you can keep it in airplane mode at all times and not be searching for a signal. Regardless I don't think it should pester you to activate it. I agree with brody8898 that the batterylife is going to be diminished compared to a standalone mp3 player or non-phone MID
  6. brody8898

brody8898 Active Member

Good observation Yeahha, I hadn't thought about airplane mode. That should save you some battery life.
  7. Stoowyguy

Stoowyguy Member

Thank you for your support guys because I was really confused. Oh and sorry about that I was just talking about the 3d one
  8. brody8898

brody8898 Active Member

Same goes for pretty much any Sprint/Verizon labeled Android device. HTC EVO 3D included.