• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If I could have any phone... which should I choose? (long!)

jenlion

Lurker
Oct 7, 2011
I'm very hard on my phones. They seem to all last about a year before slowly ceasing to function. I was a Blackberry addict until I got a Droid 2, and then last year a Samsung Charge. On both Androids, performance was great initially, but over time things just stop working.

For example, on the Charge, I can't get any charger to physically remain seated and actually charge the Charge. I'll be across the room and hear it beeping low-battery-charge-me, on-charger, low-battery, repeat. I'm not even touching it. I've tried other microUSB chargers, same problem. If I wrap the cord around it tightly and set something heavy on top, I can still get it to charge, but it's getting ridiculous.

The GPS hardly works at all. It worked fine in the beginning; now, it takes forever to set up, and other people with me in the same place have no trouble locating. I have tried turning on all the possible assistance for location, but GPS now just stinks compared to other devices around me (including the history of this device). I assume it's been dropped one too many times.

Using the camera often hangs the system. Sometimes I wait several minutes and get nothing, and wind up having to pull the battery to get my phone back. Happens less often with a different camera app I tried (Vignette) but still does occur.

Random reboots occur when I least expect it. Happens more and more often. I'll be working, and boom, reboot.

Battery life is abysmal. I have an extended battery and it runs dry in very, very light use in half a day. I've gone through several batteries on this phone, and yes, it's better initially, a little, but not by much. Most of the battery is chewed up by display, even though it's on the dimmest setting all the time and I leave it on for as short a time as possible (defeating the fun in having a device like this).

I've rebuilt from factory settings a number of times, and I'm currently running Ninja (so that I could kill the verizon bloatware and hopefully improve things). Sadly, the problems seem to be hardware, and they get worse, and worse, and worse.

My work depends on having a phone readily available, 24/7. Between work and life, I need a good GPS, a great, speedy camera, reliable bluetooth, and fast response times. I switch between apps often and hate the lag time that accompanies that now (and the usual, but not always, total reload of the app when I do). I have the unlimited data on Verizon until they decide they really are getting rid of it forever, so I'm stuck paying full time for a device. But having a good phone is crucial to being able to work from anywhere, so that's OK.

I really miss the real keyboard on the droid 2. Swype's OK, but the beta of the new version introduces a lot I really don't like. For that reason alone, I seriously consider the Droid 4. I avoided the 3 and got the Charge because the specs just weren't there for the Droid 3. But I type SO MUCH into my phone that I miss that keyboard quite a bit.

I will root the phone. I can't stand the thought of paying an additional $40/mo to be a wifi hotspot for five or ten minutes a few times a year. The phone has the capability to do it, and dammit, I should be able to do it without paying a ridiculous fee for it. And the bloatware, oh the bloatware, I just can't stand seeing Blockbuster every single day. It must be gone. But I have little experience here, and I don't know if rooting is easily done or an device. I can follow the tutorials, get Odin running, etc, but it's been easy enough to do that I haven't learned much. I don't know if it's an issue on any particular phone.

So, ALL of that said... assuming that I'm not listing common, easily-fixed problems, which new phone? Most power, most speed, best battery life, strong GPS. And I drop phones. I'm clumsy. I couldn't find a good case for my Charge with the extended battery. Probably didn't help. I'm not knocking the Charge as a phone, but *mine* seems to be done. Also, it has to fit in my hand. I initially got the Bionic last year, but it was too large for my hands, and I couldn't type efficiently. Just a little too big.

I lean toward the Galaxy S3, possibly the note 2 if it isn't too big (though I don't know if I can hold out until they release), or the droid 4. Really torn, because the D4 looks to have shorter battery life and somewhat less horsepower, but I love the keyboard. Anyone have any practical advice??

The most durable phone I know of is the casio commando. It's supposedly waterproof amd shock resistent. However, it doesn't have a lot of horse power and the screen is about as big as an average lg optimus. And it doesn't do 4g....

It's a trade off, performance for durability.

You might do some research and see if casio is coming up with another model. I got to test the one out I told you about above, I liked it, but was spoiled by 4g speeds...

Reactions: jenlion
Upvote 0
If you are into physical keyboards as I do, then you will have rather slim pickings. Back in July when I needed a new phone as my battery on the HTC Desire Z was dying, the only one with a keyboard was the Motorola XT860 (Driod 3) from last summer. I decided on the SGS3.

After 3 months, I still hate not having a keyboard. For everything else, the SGS3 is awesome. I have considered ditching my SGS3 because I wanted a keyboard so badly. There was none available for my carrier (Bell) and the only one was the Galaxy S Relay on T-Mobile that I could possibly get to work on Bell and that was fairly current.

The SGS3 is one of the top phones available since June. After 3 months, it still feels as fast and as smooth as when I first got it. It currently runs ICS, but JB has begun rolling out in a few countries and all should have JB available by early next year. Because the SGS3 is just so good, I am tolerating the lack of a physical keyboard for now. I use Thumb Keyboard as it has a number of layouts to choose from and has the features that I like.

A number of new Nexus devices were scheduled to be announced today, but the event has been cancelled due to the hurricane. Info is currently coming out online. You may want to have a look at those to see if there is anything you like. I doubt there will be a phone with a keyboard, though.

Reactions: jenlion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones