If I don't get #g at my house, does that mean I won't get 4G either

Last Updated:

1. palmgoog

palmgoog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I barely ever get 3G service at my house. I'm close to one of the announced markets for 4G though. Just because I don't get 3G at my house does that mean I won't get 4G either.

Advertisement
  2. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

If you're close to one of the markets you may get some spill over depending on how far away you are.

3. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4. highwayman1224

highwayman1224 Well-Known Member

Um, before you bash somebody, you might wanna figure out how to read! The OP said he was in an ANNOUNCED 4g area, which means it's NOT up & and running yet. He's asking if it's possible to get 4g WHEN it gets to his area if he barely gets 3g now. I honestly don't know, depends on how close they put a tower to your house i would think.

5. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

What is #g and how do I know if I get it?

If they upgrade the tower that you barely get 3G on to a 4G tower, maybe you will barely get 4G as well.......Although assuming you are not close to the tower, 4G won't come in any stronger and it will probably just eat up your battery like crazy.

6. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

oops....

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

:) I'm guessing this is a smart remark, joke, something like that :)

If not, my mistake. None the less, it's funny.

8. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Don't you have wifi at home? It would actually be faster if you just connect to your wifi at home then 3G and 4G. :)

9. mrpickem

mrpickem Active Member

I am under the impression that 4G towers will be separate installations from the current 3G towers. So you could very well get 4G...depending on new tower locations.

10. Misbehavin'

Misbehavin' Well-Known Member

It depends. Sometimes they place the equipment on an existing tower, sometimes they don't. It just depends upon what works in the situation, and what agreements they have with other structure owners in the area. Sometimes it may not even be a full tower, instead a pole or smaller tower on something such as an existing water tank.

11. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

4g also has a better range than 3g- so if they put a 4g transmitter on the 3g tower that you barely get coverage from, you may be in good shape.

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

No, Sprint is currently just adding 4g to existing towers. I'm sure they will put up a few new towers, but I wouldnt count on it.

Actually, 4g has a WORSE range than 3g, its a higher frequency. So if you dont get 3g, then you definitely wont get 4g.

RiverOfIce likes this.
  13. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

You probably won't see 4G if you don't have any 3G coverage now - especially inside - since WiMax and buildings don't seem to get along well. Good luck though!

14. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Just to restat what has been said.

Most of the 4g installs are being done on existing towers, larger cities are not, ie new york.
    No, the average distance for a 3g tower is about 4 miles, the average distance for a wimax tower is about a mile.

To the op. If you barely get 3g in your house, it is extremely doubtful you will get 4g in your house. In saying that, sprint has been using the excuse of 4g to add new 3g towers to cover weak spots.

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

youre right most the time. but, for me I get consistant downlads on 3G at 1 to 2.2 megs per second. My DSL cable at my house is only 1 meg/sec. Sprints wireless 3G is actually faster for me. (yes, i know my home internet is slow)