• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] If I move my apps to my SD card using this method, what are the downsides?

NJRonbo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2012
I have a rooted AT&T Galaxy Note II.

Found this article on how to flash the phone so that apps can be put on the external SD card rather than the internal.

It looks easy. Could probably do it in under 5 minutes. The benefits, it seems, would be enormous.

Here is my major concern....

When AT&T pushes the next major update (I already have Jellybean 4.1.2), it will erase the root.

When that happens, will my phone go bezerk because the apps are not where they are supposed to be by default?

Is it always possible to immediately re-root a phone no matter what update is being pushed?

Also...

If an an app has a Google Play Store update to be downloaded, will it update the app if it is sitting on the external card?

don't bother moving apps to ext sd; this phone has so much room on it, you will NEVER run out of room putting apps on the internal card; I have over 300 apps, and still have more than 60% of my internal space available..

With all due respect to Wase4711....

I think that statement is kind of dangerous.

The Note II, as far as I am aware, has only 16GB of internal memory.

Put large game apps on it and watch how storage quickly diminishes towards nothing.

Perhaps the 300 apps on your phone are mostly small in footprint.

While it indeed can take a long time to fill up 16GB of internal memory (and let's face it you don't even get nearly that much after all the bloatware), in the many years you will own this phone, one will eventually need more space.

I think there is a need to run apps off the SD card if it can be done successfully.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones