If I ran root right now

Last Updated:

1. sixtythree

sixtythree Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I rooted my android galaxy s vibrant sght959 kernal ver 2.6.29 right now without doing anything to protect my phone and everything went ok. what would I need to use my phone when it was rebuted. Is there anything else needed to use the phone? Is this now a simple question?

I think maybe the question was asked incorrectly before

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

rebuted? what?

3. sixtythree

will the phone come back on with the existing applications. I think what i am not unstanding is how can you root a phone and still keep all your existing application and widgits.

Once rooted and I do not plan to change anything else right now what will I need to do additionally to get my phone to work.

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone doesn't change anything other than allowing certain apps greater access to the operating system. If you don't plan on using apps that require root access or flashing custom ROM's there's really no reason to bother with rooting.

5. sixtythree

I plan on using aps that require root access in the future. but for right now I just want to go this thing one step at a time.

At what point do I loose everything that is not backed up? would flashing the new rom?

6. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

You could always just mount the SD cards and copy/paste to your PC/Mac/whatever the file and pictures you wish to back up. As for apps, I suggest you get Titanium Backup. You can make backups of your apps+data which is very handy to have if you install a new ROM.

Really, even if you don't root you should have a backup plan. MyBackup is a good program and can run with or without root access. Titanium needs root.

Most custom ROM's will wipe your apps, so again, you need to have a backup plan in place. Custom ROM's will not wipe your external SD card. Besides wiping apps+data custom ROM's generally won't wipe the internal SD card either, but it's been known to happen.

MyBackup - Android app on AppBrain

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain

7. sixtythree

I did a temp. root today @ z4root. Took about 30 min. The next hard boot it will need to be rooted perm if I choose. The phone seems to be working fine. I will get titanium as soon as I do a perminate root. I been researching rom and kinda like a couple so far.

Will back up sd card on computer as soon as I get of liine "thanks"

8. djquick

djquick Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was such a thing as temp. root; I thought all rooting was permanent until you unroot it.

9. sixtythree

I used z4root and once i activated it, one of the options was temp root, I chose it and 30 min later it said that root was successful and good until I did a hard boot. It was so simple that I went back in and did the perminant root. When finished everything was locked up. I removed battery and waited a few minutes reinstalled it and wa la. Everything works fine.

10. pmartof

pmartof Active Member

Why not just permantely root. If you decide you dont want to root then you can just use ryans oclf and unroot. Your playing with fire doing this temp root stuff. The vibrant is the easiest phone ive rooted to soft brick luckily you can recover from it but using odin is a painful process to get used to.