• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If I root and install custom ROM can I still return in the 30 day period?

IndivisibleP

Oct 22, 2010
Bought the gtab out of curiosity and to see if i would be happy enough to keep it. Needless to say TapNTap is horrid and the tablet, as it is shipped by viewsonic, is not worth keeping.

I wanted to try running some of the custom roms but got caught up thinking that that may void the warranty or some how not allow me to return the tablet within the 30 day period. I am definitely going to return it because despite whatever a custom rom can do for it, the viewing angles are unforgivably bad. But still I would like to see how much better runs without TapnTap.

Has anyone done this and then returned it without any problems?

this is all i could find:

Viewsonic said:
What the warranty does not cover:

1.Any product on which the serial number has been defaced, modified or removed.

2. Damage, deterioration or malfunction resulting from:
-Accident, misuse, neglect, fire, water, lightning, or other acts of nature, unauthorized product modification, or failure to follow instructions supplied with the product.

Viewsonic Limited Warranty

take that for what it is worth, but i read it to say that as long as the new ROM does not directly cause any damage, deterioration, or malfunction, then they have no recourse against the buyer. although, i would still reccommend not trying to return with a custom ROM installed, as i imagine that you would encounter some issues with the retailer, even though you have not violated Viewsonic's policy.

Upvote 0
Bought the gtab out of curiosity and to see if i would be happy enough to keep it. Needless to say TapNTap is horrid and the tablet, as it is shipped by viewsonic, is not worth keeping.

I wanted to try running some of the custom roms but got caught up thinking that that may void the warranty or some how not allow me to return the tablet within the 30 day period. I am definitely going to return it because despite whatever a custom rom can do for it, the viewing angles are unforgivably bad. But still I would like to see how much better runs without TapnTap.

Has anyone done this and then returned it without any problems?

I would venture to say it's 99.99% that you can return it if you return it as stock.

I heard people buy returned gtablets, with clockwork mod still in the internal sd card. haha. I think, if it looks stock you can return it. Sears, Office Depot, and other retailers aren't that smart to know that you modded it.
(If you work for Sears or Office Depot, I didn't mean you. :p)

Upvote 0
I don't think you would want to return it after you ROM it. I had mine for about three hours before I started the root/ROM process, and I haven't looked back since. It makes a ridiculous difference.

There are various reason people return it mostly hardware defects being the biggest cause but occasionally some do keep it for remorse period as they try it out. That being said as SolidOrange is correct all you have to do is revert back to the original stock image as it will replace the modified bootloader, rom, radio unless you did engineering boot manually to turn the radio security off in that case the you have to do little more work and then reattempt the stock image.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones