If I Root can I get an official upgrade after

Last Updated:

1. Atreyu25

Atreyu25 New Member This Topic's Starter

Im new to the site and have seen many topics on rooting and a official update to 2.2 coming soon.

My question is this..

If i got ahead and root my phone with the "Root me baby one more time thread" will I be able to get the offical update to 2.2 (if it comes) or not and need to wait for a odin way?

Ive never done a root and would like to but if 2.2 is coming should i wait and do the root after?

My main reason to root is i hear the newer firmwares make the android 2.1 run smoother and can update the 3D Driver aswell as apps2SD

Any tips for a noob?

At

Advertisement
  2. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

2.2 is NOT coming to the Spica. At least not from Samsung.

While Google have released the source for 2.2, the problem is, it's the drivers specific to the Spica that Samsung are NOT going to update. So you get a Spica that has no sound, blootooth, wifi and phone don't work, but can run some apps at 2.2 speed using 2.2 libraries.

The only hope is that some enterprising talents are trying to use 2.2 drivers from later but similar models to the Spica.

Whether 2.2 will ever come from other sources is hard to say.

Your best bet (currently) is 2.1FE currently in Beta8. 2.1FE offers approx 3 x times the speed of current 2.1. But while mostly stable, bugs DO exist, albeit mostly in games.

And, if you want to install 2.1FE... you'll need to first root your phone.

3. Atreyu25

Can you point me to FE and Live wallpapers?

I followed your rooting topic but cant find where to get either FE and Live WP.

Im a noob but aim to improve.

4. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

If you're rooted using my guide, then you need to install Samdroid Kitcken, and then Samdroid Turbo.

Info on Samdroid Kitchen

Info on Samdroid Turbo

5. Atreyu25

Thanks man,

I figured it out and used Kitchen and Turbo. Loving the nexus one live wallpaper. and my Linpack is up to 9.34 etc. The 3D driver still sucks but i see that some one is working on a new one on samdroid.

Going to reroot my phone and install the Froyo Alpha just to see how it goes without FE.