If I root my phone, can I choose my mobile provider?

Last Updated:

1. siiva

siiva Member

Because Virgin continues to claim I am tethering my phone, when I'm not (see getting charged for tethering, but I'm not...? - Android Forums) , I would like to switch to another provider (in Canada). Can I root my HTC Legend, then simply use a SIM card from another provider? I don't want/need a data plan.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Its a little more complicated than that.
  3. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

you have to find out.. if your phone model can be "unlocked".

this will allow you to find a new carrier that can activate your phone.

note..
    you current carrier report your phone's ESN as bad/stolen.. if you do not pay your bill and have a contract. some new carriers do check this.. and will not activate a bad ESN.
  4. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

If there's a sim card involved then there's no worry about bad ESN.
  5. siiva

siiva Member

Yes there is a sim card. It looks like Virgin is in cahoots with Bell (Virgin Mobile Launches HSPA+ 3G Network in Canada - MobileTopSoft.) so the Bell affiliate in my area, Aliant, probably uses the same type of network, so, in theory, I should be able to get a voice plan from Aliant, on a sim card, and pop it in the phone right?
  6. stewy

stewy Well-Known Member

You don't even need to root, you just need an unlock code. I got one from unlock2go(search youtube) but I think you can get them cheaper from other websites. I think I paid 25 bucks.

I bought my legend second hand, got the unlock code and now use it with fido. If you plan to use the internet you'll need to get the APN info for your provider. You can probably find this info online as well.

Check to make sure you can get a SIM card through Aliant... they may be cdma only.

Are you from the rock? If not then then you're at least out east somewhere... I'm a Newfoundlander living in Ontario.
  7. siiva

siiva Member

I called them and they said Virgin shares their towers, and they use sims too. They said I needed an unlock code, just like you did. I was going to use this site:
    HTC Legend Unlock | Unlock HTC Legend with genuine HTC unlock codes

But I actually bought the phone outright from virgin, so I will try to call them and get it out of them first.

New Brunswick. My bro is currently in NFLD with the air force. Cheers!
  8. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

I bought my Legend from Virgin Mobile to save $50 and then walked into a Bell store and had it added to my plan without unlocking it.
  9. stewy

stewy Well-Known Member

virgin is owned by bell so i doubt they'd care about that.