• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If I root now, what are my benefits?

As someone who has not rooted (yet), I believe there are some root-only apps, including some which turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot if you'd like.

Just search the marketplace for "hotspot" or "tether" and read the descriptions to see which require root and what they offer. Obviously I have not been able to test them on the Incredible, but assuming all they need is root, and you have it now, I don't see what would stop it from working now.

Update: actually, according to some other people, this WiFi hotspot doesn't work yet.

I'll probably wait a bit for a few more reasons before I root then.

Upvote 0
You can remove CityID. That's it. That's why I really don't understand why people are so amped to root their Incredibles at this point. This root method gives you root, but there is still work to be done for root on the Incredible to be useful for anything of substance. There are permission issues that still need to be resolved and I don't think this root gives write access to system files.

Patience people, devs are working to get this root fully working to allow for installation of custom ROMs. Until then, just WAIT. It's not worth rooting your Incredible just to uninstall one app at this point.

Upvote 0
Why would I want to drain my battery faster? :rolleyes:

I agree, why would you want to do that? But overclocking does not do that so you are in luck. The setcpu app controls all aspects of your processor speed and how it ramps up to your peak speed. You can set all kinds of setting to make it very battery friendly, but still much faster than stock or a complete battery hog....which will equal hyper speeds that the mind cant even comprehend...LOL It could be an issue if you crave the max speed all the time, but if you know what you are doing you can still get the advantage of the faster speed, and not see anymore of a battery drain than stock. Check out SETCPU on the market, and online and you will see that overclocking is very controllable and will only make your phone better. Providing you dont over do it. This goes the same with overclocking PCs too.

Upvote 0
As my title states. What are my benefits if I were to root this instant in time? I can uninstall CityID, but is there anything else that's going to be significant at this point in time?

You get this really cool patch to sew on your jacket and you get forum bragging rights. Thats about it for right now....

( just kidding about the patch ;) )

Reactions: Smabbage and noahjk
Upvote 0
The biggest benefit for now, is the fact we don't have to root later... It's already done. When you want to install a custom rom, or use apps that require root, YAY you can use them, whenever you want. I am currently using my desktop while using the wifitether. Why? Just because.

And that's exactly why I rooted, just because. :)

Upvote 0
With root I have installed the following:
- SetCPU to underclock the processor & extend battery life
- CacheMate to remove unwanted cache
- AdFree to remove ads from applications
- Root Explorer to browse the filesystem
- Titanium Backup to backup installed applications + data
- Autostarts to control what opens at startup, etc.
- Drocap2 to take screenshots

More benefits to come.

Reactions: xmBill
Upvote 0
With root I have installed the following:
- SetCPU to underclock the processor & extend battery life
- CacheMate to remove unwanted cache
- AdFree to remove ads from applications
- Root Explorer to browse the filesystem
- Titanium Backup to backup installed applications + data
- Autostarts to control what opens at startup, etc.
- Drocap2 to take screenshots

More benefits to come.

did you actually get adfree to work?

Upvote 0
I decided it was a good time to root, and it was extremely easy as well. I realize it might be difficult but the 10 minute tutorial was perfect for me. I'm just lost at where to go now. I havet SU access. Now, where do I go to to get Drocap and a few more applications on it? I have WiFi tether on it thanks to the 10 minute tutorial.

In regards to xvenom's post, where do I get AdFree, Titanium Backup, Autostarts, Drocap2, and the other applications he listed from?

Upvote 0
I decided it was a good time to root, and it was extremely easy as well. I realize it might be difficult but the 10 minute tutorial was perfect for me. I'm just lost at where to go now. I havet SU access. Now, where do I go to to get Drocap and a few more applications on it? I have WiFi tether on it thanks to the 10 minute tutorial.

In regards to xvenom's post, where do I get AdFree, Titanium Backup, Autostarts, Drocap2, and the other applications he listed from?

In the Market. Everyone one of those apps can be found in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones