If I try to Root with the methods posted could I brick my phone?

Last Updated:

1. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I've read over and over about the methods, but haven't tried it before. I do have a Mac, but it is bootcamped with Windows 7. I also have some laptops that have XP, Vista, and Windows 7, so I know I will have a computer that will be able to complete the task.

I guess my question is, if I start the process, what is/are the chance(s) that I brick my phone?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Now take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because I am by no means an expert, but I believe the only way you can truly "brick" a phone, as in damage it irreversibly, is to flash (install) an incompatible radio onto the phone.

That has nothing to do with gaining root access. All you're doing is applying an update that grants you super user access.

3. cuban11182

Can anyone else confirm Asterdroid's thought?

4. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

I concur with Asterdroid. I suppose once you get into recovery, you could really screw it up if you did not follow the instructions and entered a command that wiped the phone (You would have to know "malicious" commands though). I wouldn't sweat it, but there is always a chance of something going wrong. The odds of ill effects taking place are very slim if you follow the guide, besides you have to be able to get into recovery first. Good Luck.

* Only do it if you feel comfortable, weigh the benefits. For me it was a no brainer, but it may be pointless for many.

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Yet another non-expert here but I don't see much chance of bricking a phone from rooting efforts. It's the flashing afterward that requires some knowledge and as long as you don't go ramrodding and only load Roms that other more bold pioneers have already verified...you're good. Besides you don't HAVE to flash Roms to get root benefits. It's just that sooner or later, you probably will. :D

6. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Yes, trying to root your phone CAN brick your phone!! BEWARE!!!

The rooting process goes very smoothly for some.

But for others, they have a ridiculously hard time rooting, spending hours, days, (for some, the process continues). This can become utterly maddening until the point where you throw your phone out the window, under the bed, into the aquarium, or under your foot! Thus, bricking it..

.... you have been warned ....

7. cuban11182

LOL, Thanks for that. It made my laugh.

Just thought of one more question. This is my first Android phone, so I have never had a phone without HTC SENSE, if I root my phone, I will still have sense, all I am doing is giving myself SU access, correct?

All I really want is the ability to wifi tether, to be honest. If things come later that I want I may dabble, but the only thing I want now is tether.

Thanks.

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Yup, you won't lose anything at all, unless you remove it yourself. Honestly, the chances of bricking through rooting is infinitesimally small.

9. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Yup you'll still have everything you had before, plus superuser access, and the ability to use some nifty root-only apps from the market.

10. cuban11182

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try to get it done this weekend. Cross your fingers for me!