If I turn off mobile data will I be able to text?Support

Last Updated:

1. emmanuelgso

emmanuelgso Member

Is there a way for me to temporarily turn off the internet on my optimus but still be able to make/receive texts and phone calls. I want to save battery by turning off all data (ie internet, notifications etc) but I dont want to risk missing calls or text messages

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Should be. Airplane mode will turn off all communications so you won't be able to send/receive anything.

Switching off Mobile Network will stop 3G but you'll still be able to send/receive calls and texts.
    emmanuelgso likes this.
  3. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member

alternatively you could use *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer, go to phone information and set preferred network type to "CDMA only" which will drop you down to 1xRTT so you can still have data and save battery over 3G... just a note it will be slower (60-100Kbps is the average range i usually stick near the upper end of that often above)

you can always go back to the same menu and set it to CDMA auto to get 3G back should you need it
    emmanuelgso and AndyOpie150 like this.
  4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

You can receive calls and text messages,just not pics and such.
    emmanuelgso likes this.
  5. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO! That's what I ALREADY usually get WITH 3G...

But yes, I'd download Quick Settings from the Market if you have space, just click the mobile data option in that app, but leave "voice" on. Calls AND TEXT(ONLY text, SMS) messages will still work, MMS messages will NOT(requires data).

SMS uses unused sidebands of cell voice for sending/receiving messages, which is also why before auto-breaking/re-assembly text messages were limited to 140 characters IIRC or close to that...

Back to Quick Settings again, it's a really handy app as it defaults to giving you Mobile Data, WiFi, Airplane mode and a bunch of other commonly used options all in one place, plus IF you want you can select the customize option and add tethering control as well... Plus it gives you the batt charge, internal storage total/avail, and uSD total/avail. Just a nifty little app and probably my most used or close to most used Android app that I have.
    emmanuelgso likes this.
  6. FullWolfMoon

FullWolfMoon Member

Yes. I can't get pictures unless I turn 3g on, but I can send and receive calls and texts just fine with data and wifi off. Although I usually have my wifi on.