• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If i unroot phone (rooted) then service center can detect it?

Andima

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2011
www.thespicygadgematics.com
Hi!
I need to root my Sony Xperia mini android phone. But my phone still in the warranty period. According to our country laws and regulations, rooted devices void warranty. So i don't like to loos it. I read there are few methods to unroot android devices. So if i rooted phone and if there is any failure, then i can again unroot. So if my device service center technician can detect it?

Thanks!:D

Let's say there are 300 devices returned for repairs.

They can spend the time to see if the repair is a defect that's covered under their warranty and then fix it.

Or they can spend the time to investigate whether you've ever rooted the device and also spend the time to see if the repair is a defect that's covered and fix it.

How many of those 300 devices do you think are rooted? Why would it be worth their time to investigate all those devices just to find the one that's rooted just so they could say "We're not going to fix this"?

Reactions: Andima
Upvote 0
Let me put it this way.
Warranty is not granted by any "country" laws.

when you purchase a device you agree to not modify system software
Rooting voids tech. Warranty because you have dared to modify the system software which it was bundled with.
Rooting itself is the simple act of pushing the su binary to/ system
once you unless root the device, there won't be able to trace the system modification
A techs work is to inspect the device and check whether there are signs of tampering .
If he feels that you have not tampered with the device then he can grant warranty to you.
If he feels you have some how managed to tamper the device he can void the warranty .
Honestly a tech is not equipped with forensic class tools just inspect traces of su binary . It's just plainly easier to restore a corrupted software than to trace the origin of root .
Also some companies (cough AVG cough) think keeping superuser.apk amounts rooting which is a common misconception.
It all depends on the inspecting tech anyway .
Most probabale chance is he may not void the warranty.
But then again who knows ....

Upvote 0
I have returned 4 Thunderbolts that had been rooted. I unrooted them and sent back. Never once have i received anything from verizon questioning if i rooted the device. I have heard people sending rooted phones back in and people getting replacement phones still rooted. like the other guy said not worth the time or money for them to ck every single phone to see if its rooted or not.

Upvote 0
Its not just rooting that voids the warranty . Rooting is just scratching the surface .
After rooting you can
Installing root apps (relatively harmless)
Change the recovery (that's a strict no no when you give your phone in warranty)
Install custom roms (ok ...)
Install custom roms with different file systems (rfs/yaffs against ext4 ,not cool but can be restored )
Change the partition setup (mtd over bml ,that's even worse and lethal )

In these cases your warranty will be void because it is assumed you knew the consequences of your actions yet you carried it out . (Partition setup and recovery esp. )

By "unrooting for warranty" it doesn't mean you should just remove the. Su binary and apk (which most applications do)
It means everything should be equivalent to stock ,including recovery and partition table failing which the warranty is void .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones