• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If I was rooted before getting the OTA

Curt941

Android Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2010
So I rooted my Droid X so I could use wifi tether app.

I just updated my phone (manually had it to look for updates and then download) and my phone still appears rooted (super user, wifi tether)

Is there anything else I have to do or am I good to go?

I was rooted with universal androot prior to 2.2. I rooted and my teathering (barnacle) stopped working saying it needed su access. I booted up androot and it recognizes me as rooted but now no longer can unroot or reroot my phone.

Eeek! I'm freaking the whole reason I bought this phone was for barnacle/tethering.

Upvote 0
I was rooted with universal androot prior to 2.2. I rooted and my teathering (barnacle) stopped working saying it needed su access. I booted up androot and it recognizes me as rooted but now no longer can unroot or reroot my phone.

Eeek! I'm freaking the whole reason I bought this phone was for barnacle/tethering.

Universal androot sees you as rooted because the files for being rooted are there but the permissions are set wrong so they wont function correctly. You will need to reroot in order to fix that. Unfortunately the exploit that universal androot used to gain root access was fixed with the Froyo update so androot no longer works. See the link below for the root method that is currently the easiest.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=8136153#post8136153

Upvote 0
Thanks OMJ I really appreciate it.

Question for you. Do you think I'm going to have to reroot my phone when new moto update/patches come through? Honestly, I'm not a big customization guy. Themes etc don't matter to me.

I only need to tether and I love barnacle for it as it was soooo fast and smooth. I really just want to lock down my phone to a state where barnacle works. I'm really regretting my decision to upgrade to 2.2 as I had the ability to not get the update (I live in a roaming area so no push).

Upvote 0
Thanks OMJ I really appreciate it.

Question for you. Do you think I'm going to have to reroot my phone when new moto update/patches come through? Honestly, I'm not a big customization guy. Themes etc don't matter to me.

I only need to tether and I love barnacle for it as it was soooo fast and smooth. I really just want to lock down my phone to a state where barnacle works. I'm really regretting my decision to upgrade to 2.2 as I had the ability to not get the update (I live in a roaming area so no push).

you generally have to reroot after any OTA. There are ways around it some of the time but if you wanna keep customization to a minimum then you are probably going to have to reroot after each update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones