If I was rooted before getting the OTA

Last Updated:

1. Curt941

Curt941 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I rooted my Droid X so I could use wifi tether app.

I just updated my phone (manually had it to look for updates and then download) and my phone still appears rooted (super user, wifi tether)

Is there anything else I have to do or am I good to go?

Advertisement
  2. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

Is your wifi thether working?

3. lynx4ben

lynx4ben Member

I was rooted with universal androot prior to 2.2. I rooted and my teathering (barnacle) stopped working saying it needed su access. I booted up androot and it recognizes me as rooted but now no longer can unroot or reroot my phone.

Eeek! I'm freaking the whole reason I bought this phone was for barnacle/tethering.

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Universal androot sees you as rooted because the files for being rooted are there but the permissions are set wrong so they wont function correctly. You will need to reroot in order to fix that. Unfortunately the exploit that universal androot used to gain root access was fixed with the Froyo update so androot no longer works. See the link below for the root method that is currently the easiest.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=8136153#post8136153

5. lynx4ben

lynx4ben Member

Thanks OMJ I really appreciate it.

Question for you. Do you think I'm going to have to reroot my phone when new moto update/patches come through? Honestly, I'm not a big customization guy. Themes etc don't matter to me.

I only need to tether and I love barnacle for it as it was soooo fast and smooth. I really just want to lock down my phone to a state where barnacle works. I'm really regretting my decision to upgrade to 2.2 as I had the ability to not get the update (I live in a roaming area so no push).

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you generally have to reroot after any OTA. There are ways around it some of the time but if you wanna keep customization to a minimum then you are probably going to have to reroot after each update.

7. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

I also think barnacle doesn't work in 2.2...but someone will have to confirm that

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

that I am not sure of...never used it but Wifi tether for root users works for me

9. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Barnacle works fine for me. Read my siggy for device details.

10. lynx4ben

lynx4ben Member

I've read that Barnacle works fine you just have to check the skip_wpa_supplicant option. Obviously I haven't tested this as I have to reroot my phone it seems.

I'm kind of thinking about waiting for a one click root app like universal androot. It's pretty nice just downloading an app and clicking one button.