If I were to purchase a Nook Color, how long would the battery last if rooted using CM7?

Last Updated:

1. natEMi

natEMi Well-Known Member

If I'm getting the nook to root, I want the battery to last at least as long as other tablets. How long does it last?

2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Battery life depends on use. The only difference between the stock NC and the CM7 NC is battery life during sleep isn't optimal. IF you turn off your NC when it's not being used, there'll be essentially no difference.

If I'm fully charged, then let my NC go to sleep, it'll drop to about 85% after 16 hours, using the latest Dalingrin kernels and nightly CM7 builds. This is improving every week. However, nightly builds are not well tested and aren't considered "stable". I would expect a stable build to be available in the next couple weeks tho.

I watched a movie recently and lost 1% battery about every 5 minutes, which is roughly about 12% an hour, which isn't too bad in my book.

My NC is overclocked to 1275 mHz (stock is 800) so battery life might be better with the stock clock speed.
  3. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

I'm running Phiremod v7 test build, and I was fully charged as of 4:30 (eastern) on Friday. I used the Nook moderately over the weekend - some surfing, some email, a couple of brief videos on Youtube - nothing major. I'm currently showing 30% battery remaining. So that's pretty good, I feel.
  4. webyrd

webyrd Member

Depends on usage: I have gotten as much as 9.5 hours on a charge (mostly reading with wifi, etc off and brightness pretty dim); or as little as 5 hours (streaming video, web-surfing and playing graphics-intense games) with wifi on and a bright screen setting.
  5. GreatBizarro

GreatBizarro Member

I am using Greenpower app and it seems to help.
  6. colchiro

I've read about others using GreenPower, but to prevent SOD's.

BTW, the HP Touchpad has their first build of CM7.1 and it also has Sleep of Death. :D
  7. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member

i'm getting great battery life as well with CM7. It never made it more than an hour out of the box before I made it to a real tablet so I can't comment on how it compares to stock.

In a good day I'll go around 3 days between charges with moderate use.
  8. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member

Last week I updated to CM7.1 stable release (booting from microSD), and it appears that battery life is much improved. Before the update, I was on the May stable release (7.0.3). In particular, battery drain when not in use is much better than before. This is based on observation, not any actual measurement.
  9. colchiro

A new kernel was added by Dalingrin that improved battery life, but has the possibility of a SOD (sleep of death) where your Nook doesn't want to wake up. If it doesn't want to wake up you can just hold down the power button to reset it. It doesn't happen very often, but some people have more trouble than others.

FWIW, the SOD problem has been inherited by CM7.1 for the HP Touchpad.
  10. ManOverboard

ManOverboard Active Member

ive got cyanogen 7 on mine, batteries at about 50% after 1 day, 14 hours, nookie froyo had better battery, but less options
  11. colchiro

What version of CM7?

CM7.1 has better battery life than CM7.
  12. ManOverboard

ManOverboard Active Member

13. colchiro

Yes it would be better with standby b/c of the new kernel, similar to Froyo.