If Only HTC Mail....Support

Last Updated:

1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Supported IMAP Idle, it would be the perfect replacement for the Gmail app.

So annoying.

Advertisement
  2. adrynalyne

WHy was this moved to support and troubleshooting? There is no fix for this, and I am not having any problems...

This was a discussion statement, for a general forum...

3. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Well, since we're here... +1.

I've been carping about the lack of IMAP IDLE in phone OSes since I had my old HTC PPC-6700. The biggest cost batterywise is the constant polling regular IMAP4 (or God help us POP3) has to do to keep the mail synced. I ran a test on one of my old WinMo phones with acbPowerMeter, showing mA draw over a 12 hour period, and found that the polling for mail (4 IMAP accounts, one checking every 15 minutes and the other three checking every 30 minutes) was responsible for over half of the battery drain in that time.

I understand Google thinking that everyone should use Gmail, but I own a web hosting company and have access to as many email accounts as I want. The last thing I want to do is have yet another email account to deal with.

On the plus side, I was happy to discover that the HTC Mail app on the Inc at least does a check for new mail every time you open it, so at least there are fewer steps to see if any mail's come in since the last scheduled polling.

4. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Oh, btw: K-9 Mail: Not an option. There is no reason the native app can't do this.

5. adrynalyne

Agreed.