If rooted 2.1 worth the effort?General

Last Updated:

1. Philosophre

Philosophre Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my eris from Best Buy. Best buy has a decent return/exchange policy. I got about 10 more days left to do a return/exchange.

So my question is "Is it worth the trouble to go return my current eris that has the leaked 2.1 to get a new eris that has the 1.5?" I know that the rooted 2.1 is older version than the leaked 2.1. I do know that roms are being cooked to update the rooted 2.1 which would improve it and also prolly be better than the leaked 2.1.

So my question really relies on people who have both the leaked 2.1 and the rooted 2.1 or the more knowledgeable ones who can estimate the timeframe of when the roms will surpass the leaked 2.1 in useability and performance.

I might be asking too much here, but it would be great if someone can answer this.

Advertisement
  2. gtpdjw

gtpdjw Well-Known Member

I have the leaked 2.1 but if I could go back to 1.5 and then root the phone and get a custom 2.1 rom I would do it in a sec. But it's just because I want to root my phone that it

3. smacky

smacky Banned

People are going to be ****ing up their phones for the next few weeks with both, rooting and flashing the leaked 2.1 ROM (we're not getting the OTA when the Droid does, only after it).

You know how the unofficial 2.1 has issues? Expect worse from ROMs made by some schmuck on the internet. It'll take a looooong time, because the Eris has such a (relatively) small fanbase. It's not going to be worth it until mid-Summer. Anytime before that and you're doing what early-adopters of the 2.1 leak were doing which is putting something that works but is filled with bugs on to your phone.

4. deman89

deman89 Well-Known Member

A relatively stable ROM that is just Sense but rooted and has everything working 2.1 is being made right now, a very different ROM is not expected soon I would think. I would if I were you...

5. EricB

EricB Well-Known Member

+1 on this. Wait a month or so before jumping in. Let them get all the bug worked out and a few good dependable ROM's working and then go for it. I upgraded to the 2.1 leak when it first came out and don't regret it at all, but I'd hold out doing the root unless you're 110% sure you know exactly what you're doing.

6. deman89

deman89 Well-Known Member

The IRC guys are working on this they should have a pretty stable ROM very soon.

7. Philosophre

Philosophre Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sounds good. I still got 10 days on my eris return.

8. sabakawasaki

sabakawasaki Active Member

Make sure you don't tip them off that you altered your phone like that. The policy does not allow products that are not in "new condition" to be returned or exchanged. I know there are some loop holes around this stuff but be careful. I work at a Best Buy and I have seen several jail broken Iphones come in. The person tries to say that they just updated the phone and it stopped working when instead they were too ****ing stupid to jail the iphone properly.
    I'm not saying don't try. I would love to try and if I fail, use my service plan to replace the phone right after I smash the screen to get a replacement.
    Good Luck.