If VZW gets G-phone...

Last Updated:

1. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've already responded on this thread that although I once drooled over an iPhone, I am in a great relationship with my Droid and doubt iPhone could woo me away.

What I want to know is whether anyone would jump to the new Google phone based on rumors that a CDMA version is planned to be released following the initial release of the GSM version? No hardware keyboard and a slightly smaller screen, but supposedly THE flagship google phone with a possibility of being sold for $199 with no contract.

Google Phone Revealed
    CDMA version on the horizon?

What say the masses?

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

if it is 199 with no contract...so long droid hahaha...just my .02 cents

3. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

After three replacement Droids they will move you to another comparable phone, I wonder if verizon would go for that? :) I'm down with that.

4. chehitskenniexd

chehitskenniexd Member

Well, the Android Nexus One is speculated to release first for the T-mobile carrier. A CDMA version may be for Verizon, but we don't know right now.

5. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Unless there's something wrong with the phone that would be pretty expensive wouldn't it. We've already ponied up for the Droid. Why would we shell out another $199? I spent less on the Droid. Sure it's no contract, but you still have your monthly service charges.

6. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

I'm happy with my Droid. Just bring on 2.1 and I'm good!

7. mgerbasio

mgerbasio New Member

After using several HTC phones with WM, I find the hardware to be poor. I'd have stuck with WM6.5 if it was on a usable phone.

I've used on AT&T the Tilt, Fuze and tried the Tilt2. All have poor voice quality, a mic that picks up more background noise than conversation, ear piece volume that is too low for NYC streets and screens that range from completely to barely unusable outside. And, they seem to hate the 3.5mm jack for headsets.

The Droid is a terrific phone and I'm looking forward to v2.1. Maybe we'll even see cut and paste fixed.

Regards-Michael G.

8. Steel Cobra

Steel Cobra Active Member

I'd have to say not right now. The one thing I've come to realize with Google is that their customer support is non existent. I'm having some issues with the market place and the only real option I have to let Google know is to create a post on their forums and hope that someone from Google reads it.

The other thing to consider is what happens if there is a hardware problem with the phone? Would Verizon, AT&T or any of ther carriers care? I don't think you have as easy of a time getting a replacement. Since there is there would be no contract required at the time of the purchase, what's to stop the carriers from looking at these as simply disposable phones. I'd imagine that you could walk into any Best Buy, Walmart, etc. and buy the phone with one of their extended warranty plans.

This is all purely specualtion on my part and I may be completely wrong, time will tell. As long as the OS updates are available for my Droid and I can get 2.1, I'm happy. If the phone turns out to be that good, at least you'll be able to buy one and just change the phone that your plan is tied to and not have to wait for and upgrade. Just my .02 cents

9. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

The true Google Phone will not have CDMA or any voice calling technology whatsoever. If Google were to release a phone with the "Google Experience," it would be all data, all the time and not require a voice plan, just a data plan. If you turn over your phone, or any phone running Google, it says "with Google." These are not the phones that Google had envisioned. Google has made very clear the difference between "with Google," and the "Google Experience." As far as I know, the only phones coming out with Android are "with Google" phones, and in that case, are no better or worse than the DROID. The only that can improve is the OS and the hardware.

10. the block

the block Active Member

I don't even get why this is being considered the "Google Phone".. it is an HTC phone running Android. The droid is a Motorola phone running Android. I had always thought of a "Google Phone" as a Google-built phone running Android. To me this seems like it's just another model phone that is running Android, what's the big deal? Maybe I'm missing something?

11. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

it is a google phone cuz google will sell it directly dude! They are not a manufacturing company...and they do not design hardware...they design software...why would they attempt to build it based on zero experience in that field?

12. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

I still don't see what the big deal is. It's just an android phone like all others and it won't be out for CDMA for a while. If you get it for Verizon, you can't switch to another carrier anyway.

13. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

I can see the reason for excitement. The specs are out the roof and for Tmo customers this is heaven. Its their Droid and still good for Android as a whole. I hope it does well but I'm cool.

14. the block

the block Active Member

You're right, I mean Google has never evolved or grown into different markets and niches since it was founded. I forgot it was still just a search engine.

15. sooper_droid12

This isn't an HTC running Google OS as the norm because there is no Sense UI to muck it up. A Google phone (or gPhone) would not have HTC's UI laying on top of it, hording memory. It would be the pure Google Experience. In that way, the DROID is closer to a Google phone than any other Android phone on the market, but we all know that Google's native interface leaves us much to be desired.

I still contend that no Google phone will have a voice plan. That just goes against everything that Google has been touting for their "ideal" phone. Why be locked down to one carrier's version of voice handling?

And I absolutely do not believe this is coming out in January, not with the "elements" they're still working on. Google subsidizing the cost of this phone so that it's an affordable $199? Doubt it. The DROID costs a little over $800 that Verizon subsidized $600 of. Multiply that by 1 million units and that's a crap load of money.

16. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

They had a pretty big hand in the G-1 development, as well as the Droid.

17. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

No, ill pass, i mean honestly, how much faster can it be than the droid? not that much if you ask me... :rolleyes:

18. sooper_droid12

Running the Snapdragon... about 5% faster according to Qualcomm.

19. CeeJayII

CeeJayII Well-Known Member

I like my physical keyboard for games especially. Very happy with the droid.

20. md12

md12 New Member

that's silly. apple doesn't actually own the plants that make iphones just like rim doesn't own the plants that make blackberries - they lease manufacturing plants to create their hardware and generally provide the materials. Google is essentially doing the same thing.

21. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

Not for me, no physical keyboard is no get.

22. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

Nope totally happy with the droid, and after experiences with att, no chance in hell i will go back to them nor tmobile.

23. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Okay, is it noticeable vs the droid, put it that way? lol

24. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Well after watching a Cnet podcast...one of the guys on there said that he played with it found it to be really light and thin but he said there wasn't that much big a difference in software to make him switch to the Droid. If that's the case it's not worth it.

25. sooper_droid12

This is the same kind of question as: Is the DROID better than the iPhone? Is it an iPhone killer? The DROID does DROID well and the iPhone does iPhone well. In the same way, people are asking the question: Is the Snapdragon an OMAP killer?

The OMAP/SGX cpu/gpu has its strong points, particularly with 3-D rendering and texturing; most every graphic push to the screen is some form of rendering or texturing (e.g. cube animations for GDE's home replacement).

The Snapdragon does really well with integers as you would expect given its the Scorpion core's strength. But the biggest boon for Snap is that its REALLY good on batteries. However, if the HD2 is an indication, their battery life is comparable to current OMAP applications. If you want to see longer battery life, you'll have to look at Acer's attempt to make a long lasting smartphone and how they under-clocked the Snap to achieve it.

OMAP is mature and powers the best smartphones and tablets out there. Snap is gaining some momentum, but don't be fooled by clock speeds, because they mean not very much. The short answer? We'll have to see. If you look at the OpenGL bench tests, the iPhone 3Gs running OMAP/SGX running at around 600-ish MHz outperformed the Snapdragon with optimized drivers on the HD2 in just about every test, except integers.

Take it for its worth. To me, this is like Intel vs. AMD back in the day. AMD kept upping the clock, but at the end of the day, Intel was just making a better integration of chip. And that's really what shines about the OMAP/SGX is their integration and how well they work together despite not boasting the clock numbers of the Snap/Imageon combination. At the end of the day, you may not notice it.