• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root If You are An Idiot and Can't Root Your Phone

sleepsafe

Jul 18, 2010
like me. Then step inside and let me tell you how I FINALLY rooted 2.2. I used the method described here One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - One Click Droid X Froyo ROOOOT GUI! - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

Read this post and the linked one. This is really simple. It has a few steps, most are very simple and then you just click on a button and you are done. Be sure and read all of the steps first, that way you just might be successful on the first try.

I didn't write this, or develop it. I had nothing to do with it, like said I'm an idiot. I don't understand many of the terms, language, etc used to do these things. So I needed it really simple. This worked for me.

You have to follow the directions exactly, in the described steps. There are some pitfalls, I'll explain em. You need

.Net Framework3.0 I have no idea what this does (see above) There is a link in the post, I downloaded it and installed it.

Motorola USB drivers, there is a link in the post. Download and install them.

Download RootMyX2.zip to your desktop and extract the files. Link in the post.

Allow USB debugging on your Droid. settings/applications/development and add a check. Do this before you connect your Droid to your PC (pitfall 1).

Connect to PC, use drop down bar to select charge only (pitfall 2).

Open Windows Media Player and check SYNC (pitfall 3)

Now in the folder where the extracted files right click on RootMyX2.exe and choose Run As Administrator (pitfall4). This is apparently a Win 7 command. I don't know cause I use a MAC. But if you are running XP, just click on the .EXE file.

This will open a GUI on your PC desktop, click ROOT it might take a few min, but it worked for me. I point out the pitfalls, because I tried this several times before I got the right combination of sequences to make it work.

ETA...You MAY need to try this in more than one of the different USB modes before it works. Before you hit the GUI button that says root, pull down the drop down menu bar on your Droid, select "Charge Only" in the USB modes. Try this one first. It worked for me and others have reported that this is the mode that worked for them. Might as well try it first!

Much thanks to the guys who wrote this stuff. I have a post graduate education, but not in programming. You made it easy!

ETA Links!

Motorola USB Drivers
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

.NET Framework 3.0
Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package

RootMyX2.zip
RootMyX2.zip

Now in the folder where the extracted files right click on RootMyX2.exe and choose Run As Administrator (pitfall4).

Is "Run as Administrator" a Vista or Windows 7 function? I'm on XP and don't get this option when I right click RootMyX2.exe. Should I proceed?

Also, I have a series of .NET Frameworks installed - 1.1, 1.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1. Should I be good to go?

Upvote 0
Is "Run as Administrator" a Vista or Windows 7 function? I'm on XP and don't get this option when I right click RootMyX2.exe. Should I proceed??

I feel your pain. I'm on Windows 7, and when I rooted I was watching a youtube video guide, and in the video he says, "just right click on this folder and then this pops up, then click the...". Well I right clicked on the folder and what popped up on my screen looked nothing like what popped up on his screen.

It's stuff like that that drives me absolutely crazy. I wish computers were easier to work with. But when you aren't skilled in computers they can make your blood boil. I wonder just how many people have genuinely jumped off of a city building due to issues concerning computers?

I know there were plenty of times at my old job where I thanked God at the end of the day that the building was only two stories tall. Any more than that might have been all the incentive I needed to relieve the stress they put me through!

Upvote 0
I ran the program and started doing something else when the "Executing am5.bin...This could take up to 5 minutes." note came up. When I finished what I was doing, I looked for the GUI, but it was gone. Nothing told me it was complete or that it was successful. I rebooted the phone and nothing seems different. How do I know if I'm rooted or not?

Upvote 0
Look for a superuser icon in your app drawer or try to use an app that requires root. The GUI never disappeared on it's own when I did it. It would stay with a note that you are rooted, to look for the superuser icon. If it didn't work do it again, it wont hurt anything. Are you sure you did all of the steps in the correct order?

Upvote 0
No Superuser icon in app drawer. Yes, I did all the steps in the correct order. The only differences of note are that I have more than one .NET frameworks installed, however, 3.0 is one of them, and I don't see "Run as Administrator" when I right click on the root file. Guess I'll try it again later today or tomorrow when I have the time.

Upvote 0
This was just as easy as EASYROOT....i mean once you install the motorola drivers all you do is click on the .exe file and then just click rootme...LOL...I am a complete DODO when it comes to this stuff but even i rooted my own phone. I would say anyone that got an DX or D2 this is the best possible and yet the simplest way out there to root your phone (for now). Also i disabled all my blotware using Titanium Backup (worth 6 bucks) but there are cheaper ways out there as well like Root Explorer....:D (can't stop cheesing)

HA ha

Upvote 0
No Superuser icon in app drawer. Yes, I did all the steps in the correct order. The only differences of note are that I have more than one .NET frameworks installed, however, 3.0 is one of them, and I don't see "Run as Administrator" when I right click on the root file. Guess I'll try it again later today or tomorrow when I have the time.

Try holding the shift button down when you right click on the RootmyX2.exe file you should see the "run as administrator"

Also are you logged in the admin account?

Upvote 0
This was just as easy as EASYROOT....i mean once you install the motorola drivers all you do is click on the .exe file and then just click rootme...LOL...I am a complete DODO when it comes to this stuff but even i rooted my own phone. I would say anyone that got an DX or D2 this is the best possible and yet the simplest way out there to root your phone (for now). Also i disabled all my blotware using Titanium Backup (worth 6 bucks) but there are cheaper ways out there as well like Root Explorer....:D (can't stop cheesing)

HA ha

Yeah, I used the universal androot to get root for 2.1. I tried some of the other routes for 2.2, but like the title says I'm a real idiot when it comes to this stuff. I can follow directions, but some of the root methods use words and phrases that might as well be some foreign language, I just don't understand what they mean. I tried the one click method on the Droid it's self, but couldn't find the file I needed to do it after I unzipped it on my phone. I came across this over the weekend, and it seemed pretty straight forward. Down load a couple things, click on the .exe file and magic happens somewhere. It worked for me, and I sorta figured if I was having trouble someone else might be too. Glad it worked for someone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones