• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "If you are not getting a day, there is something wrong"

paimon.soror

Android Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2010
Vernon, CT
Google: "If You Are Not Getting A Day [of Android Battery], There Is Something Wrong" - Android battery life - Gizmodo

According to Larry Page however, if you're not getting a full day's use, there's "something wrong." Page was speaking at the Google Zeitgeist forum yesterday in London, when he was asked about battery life. Throwing the blame on third-party developers, he said that apps are the reason people may not be getting a full 24 hours of battery life. Twitter and other social networking sites constantly connecting to draw new tweets or status updates are battery-draining for sure, but even without these apps running there are still problems.

Interesting...

Great, now what do I do since I can't even get 6-8 hours with moderate usage?

IE: GPS for ~1 hr and battery is 50%

I've made all other recommended settings for prolonged battery life (Except the one to remove the data connection).
I would think that GPS would suck battery life, only makes sense. I'd either get another battery and throw that in my backpack or make sure you have a car charger while using it.

Upvote 0
So 6 hours on a full charge isnt normal?

I guess it all comes down to what you are doing. Playing a game for 6 hours straight? Then yes, i would say thats normal. Phone is sitting idle and doing nothing and no processes are hogging cpu power and you are only getting 6 hours...then no, something is def wrong.

I can last almost 12-14 hours with moderate use and listening to pandora for 6 of the 8 hours im at work

Upvote 0
So 6 hours on a full charge isnt normal?

Ha ha!

It is simple to get a full day, here's my procedure:

1. Fully charge phone overnight
2. FIRST thing in the morning check email/text messages for no more than 5 minutes
3. Put phone to sleep and set it down
4. Quietly back your way out of the room, turn off the lights, and close the door.
5. Return in 12 hours to 20% battery.
6. Voila... a full day!

Upvote 0
Ha ha!

It is simple to get a full day, here's my procedure:

1. Fully charge phone overnight
2. FIRST thing in the morning check email/text messages for no more than 5 minutes
3. Put phone to sleep and set it down
4. Quietly back your way out of the room, turn off the lights, and close the door.
5. Return in 12 hours to 20% battery.
6. Voila... a full day!

But a full day would be 24 hours not 12 :p

Upvote 0
Seriously these threads are getting insane! I can understand what the article is getting at, but that's why u get a phone like this, so that you have the ability to stay connected and do a lot of these things. I can get about 2 days worth of juice with my BB 9700, and that is with fairly high usage. And I get an absolute full day and evening with my 3Gs. If I wanted to just talk I'd have a flip phone that just makes phone calls. My incredible is in need of a charge by about 5-5:30, and that's with leaving in the morning at say 10am with a full charge, and using the Seidio extended battery. Without the 1750 I was going down at about 3 pm. So I guess its doing its job some what. But come on, HTC has to do a little better! I'm getting good use out of other devices, they should be able to bring the same sort of use out of the box before having us all scramble looking for extra batteries, chargers, or simply not using our phone for what it's intended for in the first place!

Reactions: necosino
Upvote 0
I get almost 2 days out of mine, I don't talk much or use the GPS. I do lots of emailing and some web surfing. Better then my iphone.

I'm with this guy. Once these threads started popping up, I did a test of my own. On a full charge I got more than halfway through my second day of uptime without any problem. I was checking emails, surfing, texting, bluetoothing, and calling.

If you use GPS, you're going to drain the battery. Even my new (and very expensive) Garmin only gets 2-3 hours on the battery, and it has only a fraction of the functionality of an Android phone.

Upvote 0
so if i only get 10 - 12 hours with no other apps installed and almost no use at all what does that mean? the only app installed is the OS, which really isnt an app and then the htc sense stuff.

hope it means i have a bad phone or battery because my seido is on its way as well as my replacement phone.

Upvote 0
ordered 2 replacement 1500 mah batteries on ebay with charger. at least this phone takes only a minute to boot up. my blackberry, which lasted all day easily on a charge, would take 9 minutes to boot.

I ordered the same ones. From Hong Kong, right? Have you gotten them yet? It's been 18 days since they "shipped" and I still haven't gotten them. Hard to believe that in 2010 it can take more than two weeks to deliver something. Are we back to the f***ing pony/dolphin express or what??

Upvote 0
I have the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery and have really no issues at all with battery life. The way I use it, I get easily a day of battery and change... and I would consider it moderate use. I'm not on my phone constantly. If I plan to use the GPS in my car for some reason, then I plug in the car charger. I have the stock HTC battery simply as an emergency backup.

Upvote 0
so if i only get 10 - 12 hours with no other apps installed and almost no use at all what does that mean? the only app installed is the OS, which really isnt an app and then the htc sense stuff.

hope it means i have a bad phone or battery because my seido is on its way as well as my replacement phone.

It really could mean anything (sorry, I know that answer sucks). The only thing I can tell you is that I have heard of people having issues with Calendar.

Of course I suppose it is possible you have a bad battery. I have never been able to speak on the stock battery because I put my Seidio 1750 from my Eris in as soon as I opened the box. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with it...hang in there!

Upvote 0
It really could mean anything (sorry, I know that answer sucks). The only thing I can tell you is that I have heard of people having issues with Calendar.

Of course I suppose it is possible you have a bad battery. I have never been able to speak on the stock battery because I put my Seidio 1750 from my Eris in as soon as I opened the box. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with it...hang in there!

Sweet, thanks for the positive feedback on the seido, my seido should be here this week, hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0
I ordered the same ones. From Hong Kong, right? Have you gotten them yet? It's been 18 days since they "shipped" and I still haven't gotten them. Hard to believe that in 2010 it can take more than two weeks to deliver something. Are we back to the f***ing pony/dolphin express or what??
sak.gaming or something. ordered them on monday. got an email saying they shipped on this tuesday. i'll let you know if i get them.

Upvote 0
I read a post somewhere saying he was running swype beta on his phone and getting horrible battery life. He unistalled swype and is getting atleast a full day on a single charge. I am running swype and have been since I first got the phone and my battery is dead at 3:30.

Ive been using swype as well and with all the emails and texts I have been sending I have only used 43s of CPU time according to SystemPanel @ 4Mb of ram. Not too sure why else swype would be causing a battery drain though.

Upvote 0
I have a question about the battery drain fix suggestions. When you say turn of GPS are you talking about the location on setting or actually using the GPS function of the phone??? Also, I installed a battery widget that shows the percentage of power left when opened. It does not change the battery icon in the notification bar. Since this a functional widget that is on all the time, wouldn't it cause unnecessary drain as well? I pondered it before installation (I'm new to Android), but read all the hooplah about how people like seeing the percent instead of bars. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones