• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If You cant Beat 'em, Join 'em!

You must be referring to this;

nexus-one-sales-guesstimates-20000-first-week-1.jpg

Do you have any method to your contribution to this thread other than the table above? Baring in mind that, against your statement, the Nexus One has relied on nothing but hype to sell itself, and the launch being a matter of weeks away from the announcement.

Whereas the 3GS is an established handset, and so naturally would sell more, the Droid also went through a heavy promotional stage via the internet, print media, direct mail and third party practitioner spam.

How in any way has it failed? And why do you think that 20,000 handsets sold will make a bad name for Android? Not to put you in the spotlight or anything, but for me you've hijacked this thread with utterly ridiculous claims.

I'm up for the challenge.

I don't think the phone has failed...yet. I seriously hope to hell it doesn't fail. I was honestly hoping that the Nexus One would sell 250,000 in the first week, because that's going to do nothing but HELP all of us Android users. The Market would/will explode with apps and the mobile race gets that much more interesting. I honestly don't think it's a ridiculous claim at all. I'm an Android owner and fan myself, so I'm not on the other team, per se.

I don't think that the Nexus One will end up a failure. Google has too much riding on it and it's an easy fix to prevent the failure. The reason I think that the possibility of it being a failure and hurting Android is a valid one, is that for weeks, one of the only things being talked about in the tech world was the "Google Phone". Everyone not living under a rock has surely heard about it in one form or another, whether it be from the news, the newspaper, the web, etc. Google, trying an interesting marketing approach, is only advertising via the web and word of mouth. Additionally, the only way you can currently order this phone is through their website. This is easily going to lose more than a few sales. To the outsider (in this case, not a phone/tech geek/junkie who comes on forums such as these), it kind of makes the phone an afterthought if not too many people own them. This could, again to the outsider, shed an unfavorable light on the OS. Uninformed people could think, "hey, this phone was supposed to be the be-all-end-all and it isn't selling any units. Either the phone is garbage or the whole Android thing is bogus". I'm not saying this is what WILL happen, I'm just saying it COULD happen. You do have to remember that not everyone comes on these forums and will truly appreciate what the device(s) can do.

And as far as any other contribution to the thread, I just thought I'd add my two cents in as to my experiences with Apple products.

Upvote 0
+1

I pay $160 for 3 lines with "Everything Data Share" including TEP for each device + Family Locator + all the other goodies that come with it. No other carrier can even come close to that.

Let's face it, I doubt there will ever be an end-all be-all phone. I've been looking for it for a long time now. It doesn't exist now, and probably never will. There's aways something "new" coming. Look how fast computer technology changes, doubles every 18 months or so. If you're a tech junkie like me, I'm constantly upgrading my PC just to stay somewhat ahead, and I'm like that with just about everything including phones.

I think the device manufacturers intentionally leave things off just to keep us coming back for more. What's the purpose of giving us a 5MP camera, but no flash for it? and I'm not talking just about the Hero, there are a few devices that have a high end camera, yet no flash? Why you say? Because they'll add it with the next device, then take away something else we already had, and so on, and so on. The circle nevers stops, round and round we go, forking out cash like crazy..

But, anyway, to the orginal OP, good luck with your iPhone. I truly hope it is your end all be all device, but for some reason I don't think it will be.
+1 for the bold blue....
To the guy who posted. Congrats on the new iphone.! If att was a little cheaper i would have went with one myself.

Upvote 0
Lets be honest guys. The iPhone is a great phone and is the one that revolutionized what you do with a smart phone. I have the Droid and its nice and all but its missing alot of things I love about the iPhone while the iPhone is only missing some things I love about the Droid. The only reason I didnt purchase one is the fact its on At&t. Which I refuse to go to after my friends complained about thier network and so many times Im on the phone chatting away and they cant even send a text message. Im kinda glad it didnt come to verizon though because if it did i wouldnt have been introduced to Android.

Upvote 0
For real!? That worked? What charge was the charge called? They did not make you hive the phone back?
i had an account spending limit. they added a 4.99 surcharge to this and i dont agree with it, so therefore if both parties dont agree, its a breach of contract. They didnt ask for the phone back. I paid them what i owed them for last month and i'm out.

Upvote 0
I'm up for the challenge.

I don't think the phone has failed...yet. I seriously hope to hell it doesn't fail. I was honestly hoping that the Nexus One would sell 250,000 in the first week, because that's going to do nothing but HELP all of us Android users. The Market would/will explode with apps and the mobile race gets that much more interesting. I honestly don't think it's a ridiculous claim at all. I'm an Android owner and fan myself, so I'm not on the other team, per se.

I don't think that the Nexus One will end up a failure. Google has too much riding on it and it's an easy fix to prevent the failure. The reason I think that the possibility of it being a failure and hurting Android is a valid one, is that for weeks, one of the only things being talked about in the tech world was the "Google Phone". Everyone not living under a rock has surely heard about it in one form or another, whether it be from the news, the newspaper, the web, etc. Google, trying an interesting marketing approach, is only advertising via the web and word of mouth. Additionally, the only way you can currently order this phone is through their website. This is easily going to lose more than a few sales. To the outsider (in this case, not a phone/tech geek/junkie who comes on forums such as these), it kind of makes the phone an afterthought if not too many people own them. This could, again to the outsider, shed an unfavorable light on the OS. Uninformed people could think, "hey, this phone was supposed to be the be-all-end-all and it isn't selling any units. Either the phone is garbage or the whole Android thing is bogus". I'm not saying this is what WILL happen, I'm just saying it COULD happen. You do have to remember that not everyone comes on these forums and will truly appreciate what the device(s) can do.

And as far as any other contribution to the thread, I just thought I'd add my two cents in as to my experiences with Apple products.

Challenge met ;).

For me, the Nexus One was never meant to be the end of all phones - I mean, Google are trying stuff out < it was the forums and Twitter users that dubbed it as the iPhone killer not Google. Their whole marketing strategy, and in fact sales strategy comes down to trying stuff out - for example just promoting the phone online, and only selling via their website < that form of promotion has failed sure in terms of statistics > but it also sheds a new light on what promotions should be done, where they should be done and why.

As a wise man once said "I didn't fail, I found 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb; I only need to find one way to make it work" < Thomas Edison.

Not entirely a fitting quote, but you get the drift.

Upvote 0
Challenge met ;).

For me, the Nexus One was never meant to be the end of all phones - I mean, Google are trying stuff out < it was the forums and Twitter users that dubbed it as the iPhone killer not Google. Their whole marketing strategy, and in fact sales strategy comes down to trying stuff out - for example just promoting the phone online, and only selling via their website < that form of promotion has failed sure in terms of statistics > but it also sheds a new light on what promotions should be done, where they should be done and why.

As a wise man once said "I didn't fail, I found 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb; I only need to find one way to make it work" < Thomas Edison.

Not entirely a fitting quote, but you get the drift.

Well said :)

Upvote 0
Things i miss about my hero:
-the feel and size of the phone, i really like the kind of rubbery feel to it
This one is an easy fix: Get one of those full-body screen protectors. My brother's iPhone has a nice rubbery texture all over.

I don't understand coming on an Android forum, and telling everyone you left for an iPhone. [...] You're either being a jerk, or you aren't confident in your decision and need assurance, which of course you won't find here LOL.
He's not being a jerk (although others in this thread tend in that direction). He's "coming clean" and explaining why (and being frank and rather fair about it, I think), and as such that's a learning experience we should be glad to hear. After all, if you don't know why your customers (and in our case, community peers) are leaving for the competition, you can't improve.

LTZ, I for one wish you happiness with your new phone. Bye!

Upvote 0
the internet speed on the iphone seriously blows compared to my hero at home. the hero is at least 4 times faster. there's always a trade off as i'm finding out. now i have a great phone with sucky service...lol

and this is exactly why I dont own the iphone. I am a huge Apple guy but a fantastic phone on an awful carrier (which was just voted the worst in the US) really defeats the purpose. All my iphone friends do is whine about dropped calls, bad reception and texts that show up 20 minutes late. Have fun with that :)

Upvote 0
This one is an easy fix: Get one of those full-body screen protectors. My brother's iPhone has a nice rubbery texture all over.

He's not being a jerk (although others in this thread tend in that direction). He's "coming clean" and explaining why (and being frank and rather fair about it, I think), and as such that's a learning experience we should be glad to hear. After all, if you don't know why your customers (and in our case, community peers) are leaving for the competition, you can't improve.

LTZ, I for one wish you happiness with your new phone. Bye!
Thanks! and i was just trying to point out the like/dislikes and pros/cons in both of them. I am enjoying my iphone, which its much easier to surf the web with and type on, but i do miss my hero. I like that i could tether on my hero so easily and i have to jailbreak the iphone. Also hate that i cant get the insurance on the iphone. My wife has some sort of insurance with square trade so im gonna check into to that. If i could afford both phones i would. Dont ever let a iphone tool tell you his internet is faster than your hero's internet...cause its not. and at my house its painfully slow. almost like dialup, lol. I need to compile a reworld comparison between the two that is unbiased because i like both of them...and i'm not getting paid to sway either way. Anyone interested?

Upvote 0
He will be back!!!! :p

Actually I was wondering how you paid $120 a month for Sprint. Isn't unlimited everything $99?

I have everything plan with sprint and it is $59. or $69. a month not sure which right now... but I have unlimited everything, ( that is with the sprint GPS, text, internet, cell to cell phone calls free again everything) and 1500 mins for every all the other calls.

Upvote 0
Thanks! and i was just trying to point out the like/dislikes and pros/cons in both of them. I am enjoying my iphone, which its much easier to surf the web with and type on, but i do miss my hero. I like that i could tether on my hero so easily and i have to jailbreak the iphone. Also hate that i cant get the insurance on the iphone. My wife has some sort of insurance with square trade so im gonna check into to that. If i could afford both phones i would. Dont ever let a iphone tool tell you his internet is faster than your hero's internet...cause its not. and at my house its painfully slow. almost like dialup, lol. I need to compile a reworld comparison between the two that is unbiased because i like both of them...and i'm not getting paid to sway either way. Anyone interested?

All I can eat crawfish, oysters, gator, and a never ending beer tap I might be talked into the drive for the comparison! :D

Upvote 0
UPDATE: AT&T sucks. The rumors about dropped calls is true. I can however surf the web and text while on the phone. This phone is much snappier than my hero. I did have it lag a couple of times on me, and when i say lag, i don't mean hero lag....i mean pause and do nothing while i'm in the middle of typing and not do anything for over a minute. The internet is a pleasure to navigate on the iphone tho. I find myself breaking out my laptop way less. Hey you people that complain about battery life with your hero: shut the hell up and stop whining. The battery life is great on the hero compared to the iphone, and you can change out your battery and even upgrade. I cant do that...lol

I find myself missing sprint more than my hero. I'm sure they will come out with something better. Maybe i'll come back. who knows.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: AT&T sucks. The rumors about dropped calls is true. I can however surf the web and text while on the phone. This phone is much snappier than my hero. I did have it lag a couple of times on me, and when i say lag, i don't mean hero lag....i mean pause and do nothing while i'm in the middle of typing and not do anything for over a minute. The internet is a pleasure to navigate on the iphone tho. I find myself breaking out my laptop way less. Hey you people that complain about battery life with your hero: shut the hell up and stop whining. The battery life is great on the hero compared to the iphone, and you can change out your battery and even upgrade. I cant do that...lol

I find myself missing sprint more than my hero. I'm sure they will come out with something better. Maybe i'll come back. who knows.

Its good to see someone try both and be honest about it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I own an iPhone 3GS. I use it to compare to Android powered phones, if you look to the left < by my user name, I am an Android user - and in fact never take my iPhone anywhere.

To the Starter of this thread....good luck with your iphone, and I hope it makes you happy :D I was once an iphone FANATIC!!! However, I was shown 'the Android way' so to speak.

Now onto my question at hand. Technoholicjakk, do I see to the left, by your name...that you are running a 2.1 Motorola Bakflip ROM on your HTC Sprint Hero? If so, could you tell us all how you got it and if you like it??

Thanks alot :)

Upvote 0
Now onto my question at hand. Technoholicjakk, do I see to the left, by your name...that you are running a 2.1 Motorola Bakflip ROM on your HTC Sprint Hero? If so, could you tell us all how you got it and if you like it??

Thanks alot :)

he has a HTC Hero.. not HTC Sprint Hero... he's in the UK and his Hero is GSM.. the Sprint Hero is CDMA

Upvote 0
maybe 3 years ago that phone might have been something special but as of now it don't mean a thing. my Hero and many phones can do all what the iphone can.you can't tell me the iphone never freezes or have it share of problems, they do all this gimmick like putting an S after the g and sell you on there commercial can your phone do this when in fact alot of phones been doing things before the iphone.I have nothing against the iphone,droid or any other phone but just because an individual like something other than a iphone doesn't make it less.not everyone is a iROBOT..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones